1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Camby expected to sign with Rockets today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 28, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Per David Barron from the Chronicle-

On his conversation with coach Kevin McHale: “He just said I was delightful, the best player he ever coached. That’s pretty much it. It was a good meeting.”

2. dobro1229

Him and McHale also have no problem playing 2 PG's together at the same time. With Howard/Asik/Camby & a multitude of "right-sized" PF's on the roster, I think the front-line defense could be good enough to allow them to play Brooks along-side another PG for large stretches, and to be used in more of a scoring guard role off the bench alongside Beverley or whomever.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Dude..comeon man, you're leaving rational thought out of this. An "insurance policy" -yes that's what brooks is...

is not an untested, undrafted rookie.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

After AB left the room, McHale turned to Daryl Morey and said, "Boy, I really enjoyed that exit interview with Earl Boykins."

Seriously, though I doubt this comes down to an AB vs. Covington decision. Too many other alternative out there-- Reggie Williams or Omri Casspi are other minimum wage guys, there could be a trade, etc. There are ways to keep both of AB and Covington. Or you can cut both. Don't know why we are talking about it like it is one or the other.

#384 Carl Herrera, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

basketballholic I know you are not certain Brooks will get cut, but to put things in perspective for you this is the exact probability I have of Canaan making it over Brooks atm. <1%

6. dobro1229

Also to use another Terrell Bell reference-

Just because the Rockets used a 2nd round pick on a player, doesn't mean that he is truly safe from getting cut in training camp if that player stinks it up that bad.

I really like Canaan alot too, but nothing is guaranteed to him other than the salary & cap space they have committed over the next couple years.

7. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Reminds me of what they said after Patterson got traded. "That solves our problem of sexual harassment waiting to happen."

8. dobro1229

LOL... nice one.

Yeah, my point at first was that nobody is truly safe (except of course Harden/Howard/ & Parsons).

I just find it comical that so many people (basketballhollic isn't the only one) just pencil in Covington as a lock to make the team for one reason or another, and make erroneous statements like "Brooks is more likely to be cut" or "Now Greg Smith will be traded."

Its just funny how committed people are to not just the 15th man on the roster, but even now we are making out way back further from 18 to 20... pretty funny stuff.

9. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Oh man here comes the conspiracy theory. Objective my ahs. Why would he choose us? How about he likes to play for a contender? How about he likes Houston the city? How about he likes the Rox organization? How about he has a man crush for Parsons?

You're just pulling stuff out of your behind. What objectivity are you talking about?

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

By your logic, all ring chasing veterans are all "double-dip" suspects...

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Agreed. There really are dozens of ways, if not more, for the roster spot situation to work out. Nobody is a lock just because they got some guaranteed money.

This reminds me of my early days playing fantasy roto basketball-- After the draft, I would always think that my team is full of steals, including guys I picked in the last rounds, and start to look for 2-for-1 trades so that my steals would get into the regular rotation and I can make room to pick up more steals in free agency.

I learned soon enough that those end of the draft players were there for a reason and even the best prepared drafter don't hit anywhere near 100% with these.

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Maybe you should have included the previous sentence from that article (or a link) to set the context (i.e. he was joking):

Apparently, dry stand-up humor is among his career goals.

On his conversation with coach Kevin McHale: “He just said I was delightful, the best player he ever coached. That’s pretty much it. It was a good meeting.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/05/aaron-brooks-a-stand-up-routine-for-old-guard/

13. dobro1229

Come on now, I surely hope nobody on here thought that McHale seriously thought of Aaron Brooks as his favorite player ever.

Even in joking though, it at least shows that things are good between Aaron Brooks, the front office, and the coaching staff. Was clearly just making that point, and then got questioned on where that was coming from.

14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Are you not familiar with DD?

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Trade Greg Smith for a 2nd rd pick while he still has any real value.

Howard and Asik are going to get all 48 minutes at C.
    Smith doesn't have a mid range shot worthy of being on the floor with D12 or Asik. And his defense is terrible.

Waive Young and Henriquez

Lin/Bev/Brooks/Canaan
    Harden/Garcia/Williams
    Parsons/Garcia/Covington
    Jones/Motiejunas/Casspi
    Howard/Asik/Camby

16. basketballholic

Here's the context of the comments:

17. basketballholic

I'm not penciling Covington in as a lock. However I am saying he's ahead of Brooks in the roster pecking order right now and he will have to play his way backwards and Brooks play his way forwards for that to change.

18. basketballholic

By the way, INSURANCE POLICIES are the first players cut when rosters have to get to 15.

19. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Ummm, no. Non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed contracts are the first ones cut when you trim down the roster.

Insurance policies are there in case there are injuries during the season

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He must have missed the melodrama! :-D-