1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Camby expected to sign with Rockets today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Mutombo wags his finger.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Agreed. 100%. He wants to be here and we have a trading history both recent and historically with the Blazers.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There can only be one Mutombo. If he is healthy, he is a slightly impoverished man's Mutombo.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Everyone really seems worried about the roster cuts, but the honest answer that anyone from the Rockets would give you right now is that no decisions will be made until the end of the preseason, or at the earliest after training camp.

I'm sure that Morey will talk to other GM's about potential deals to maybe move Greg Smith if it looks like Jones/D-Mo are poised to take huge steps forward this year AND Camby looks 10 years younger than he really is in training camp.

However those are alot of IFS.

More than likely Jones & D-Mo still show that they have some question marks as all young players do in their 2nd year still, and Camby will probably not look like a Center who could play heavy backup minutes if for some reason either Asik was traded or Howard/Asik suffered a major injury.

In those very feasible cases, having Smith around to fill the holes where needed is imperitive. However, we just dont know about the unknowns until we go through training camp.

If for some reason the Rockets do not see a need and minutes for Greg Smith next year, you know there are at least 2 GM's in the league that would probably love to get him with a 2nd round pick if not a late first.

-As for Covington, I dont know why everyone seems to think that just because he has guaranteed money on his contract that he's a lock to make the cut. Keep in mind that Morey waived something like 7 million dollars in guaranteed salary last season just to get a few draft picks back in the Courtney Lee and Marcus Camby S&T's.

As an undrafted rookie that the front office like alot, I think Covington's going to have to prove himself in a short amount of time to force the front office to cut a veteran like Williams.

All of this just goes to show you how smart and calculated Morey really is. He signs high potential un-drafted rookies as soon as possible, and then later on brings in veteran players who are more likely to make a final roster cut. NO WAY a guy like Covington or even Young sign with the Rockets if they had this many veteran players already signed.

1 person likes this.
  5. dobro1229

With Asik's potential deals, no doubt that Morey will entertain phone calls, and might even make a few here and there outgoing, but I would imagine the target date for a deal would be at the trading deadline.

I think the market for Asik will be at its highest then, and for a star level player like LMA, that's when your going to get him.... when his team has begun to give up hope for a playoff run.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Come on, man, they're both great backup centers. Camby has a career 2 and 1/2 blocks a game, 10 points and 10 boards. He is late in his career, but Deke was too. He's not Deke, but he's definitely not bad at all. The 0.4 blocks per game aren't big enough to make me think we have the wrong guy. He's the best thing we could get under many circumstances and certainly this one.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You must have missed what Camby did with a broken hand in 2011. He wasn't healthy in NY but that wasn't because of a strained plantar fascia. He's healthy now. Passed his phyisical and the Rockets really want him. That speaks a lot about how they view him.

8. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

In a close game like that, why are Parsons, Gogi and Scola all on the bench when Martin and Lowry are hurt? Did we want to lose? I remember we won, but still we were thin back then.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Glad to have him back. Dude can rebound as well as any player in the league.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

It was the beginning of the 4th. You usually don't have many starters in at that point.

11. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Kevin Willis flexes.

We're talking backups here.

12. basketballholic

The most likely veteran cut is Aaron Brooks before Williams or Covington.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You might have forgotten what 40 year old Mutombo could do in the absence of Yao. That guy was a warrior and Camby does not even have that swag.

I agree he is a very nice player to have as a 3rd stringer but Mutombo was dominant at that time in limited minutes. Flat out dominant in my books.
    Camby still might get more rebounds and points. I am talking about the 'momentum changing moments' that McGrady and Yao raved about. Absolutely dominant.

14. dobro1229

Sounds more like an opinion to me. Like I said... training camp and preseason will be a deciding factor over anything else.

Greg Smith (via trade), and Covington (waived with eating 150K) just seem to be mentioned more than anyone else.

15. basketballholic

Agree that there's a high probability that Smith is traded. But Covington....he's going to have to play himself OFF the final roster. Brooks will have to play himself ON the roster.

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

IMO, the cut/trade will be made from Covington/Smith/DMo/TJones.......VERY likely Smith or Covington.

Smith is only locked in through this season (qualifying offer in 2014-2015). Unless he takes a HUGE step forward as a backup C or starting PF, he doesn't fit into this roster.

My guess is Smith gets traded for a 2015 2nd rounder.

17. lomahtw

lomahtw Member

it is still early to tell how the roster will be for next season unless final minutes. anything can happen to any players except Howard, Harden and Parsons. right it is still wide open for any speculations and discussions.

18. shawn786

shawn786 Member

T Jones / D Mo aren't going anywhere, IMO.

It's going to be Smith or Covington.

My $ is on Covingston.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Fixed.

20. dobro1229

Im sorry but when did everyone on Clutchfans become such die-hard Tennessee State fans? What do we know about this guy-

-Very good player at Tennessee State
    -Played both forward postions, but can really shoot the 3
    -Undrafted
    -Rockets apparently "really like" Covington
    -Has some nice YouTube highlights
    -signed with a 150K guaranteed contract in year one (hardly a cap killer)
    -Played well in Summer League and showed that his 3 point range could probably translate at the next NBA level.

So how are people so confident that they know so much about the Rockets plans for Covington that they are willing to bet that the Rockets are going to cut arguably the 3rd or 4th best perimeter playmaker on the team, former 20PPG scorer, former MIP, proven starter PG on a team that has major question marks at that position on a veterans minimum contract just because they "really like" Covington, he can shoot 3's, and has a whopping 150K guaranteed contract????

(also let's not try to sweep under the rug that it was reported not surprisingly that Jeremy Lin was shopped just weeks ago)

I'm sorry but if it comes to "proving something" and the conversation is Aaron Brooks Vs. undrafted rookie Robert Covington... that argument is a pretty damn easy one for me to configure.

Am I missing something about Robert Covington here or what? I like the guy alot, but the overconfidence in this guys future here in Houston is laughable.

NOBODY is safe other than Harden/Howard/ and Parsons, and nobody (including Morey) knows who will be on the final 15 man roster come October 31st.... Not even Basketballhollic(as much as he would like to think he does).

#360 dobro1229, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013