1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Marco Rubio: Women with Zika Should not be Allowed to have Abortions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 7, 2016.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I hate it when dimwits who have no grasp over medicine or even simple biology mouth off.

Its like they think a simple google wiki search puts them on any expert ground. I'd try and reply properly, but a rudimentary understanding would be required in this case---and I wasted my time with giddy already.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure if this is an intelligent comment agreeing with me and calling out Lou or if it's a fairly dumb comment that didn't understand what I actually said and what I didn't say in my comment.

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Im not sure most people on this board know how hard it is to get pregnant. And for that pregnancy to go full term...And having ZIKA, doesnt equal microcephaly...

If it is a baby because of rape or incest, I'd personally be ok with termination in the few weeks of conception...

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure where you are getting that from. From the CDC link you posted.
    [rquoter]CDC scientists announced that there is now enough evidence to conclude that Zika virus infection during pregnancy is a cause of microcephaly[/rquoter]

Yes there are other potential causes of microcephaly but the CDC is saying that Zika can lead to microcephaly.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Since reading is hard...

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Recently I met a young man, and yes it must have been a very hard decision for his parents, but he had microcephaly...really rare cause of parvoB19 virus infection caused it. Turned on that the mother had a spontaneous abortion with her next child and could never conceive again. ;(

8. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

My grandmother was many years a precinct chairman in the GOP in Harris County, a diehard Republican, and an avid supporter for Planned Parenthood and birth control and abortion. And she was Italian and raised by nuns in an orphanage. She also used to give me condoms when I was a teenager and told me not to be stupid and get any girls pregnant.

She always thought that advocating for abortions for those that could not (or would not) take care of children was the moral thing to do and she went as far as to volunteer at PP. She wasn't pro-Choice -- she was pro abortion. In any case, you certainly aren't alone and certainly not alone in believing that advocacy of abortion is a classically conservative position.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My take on this particular thread (before Giddy jumps in and ruins it) is entirely aimed at Rubio. Yet again, a male politician takes it upon himself to attempt to dictate to women what they should be able to do with their own bodies. I would love to see his reaction if he became surrounded by a group of women who declared that men should be without balls because it would reduce the incidence of abortion, and that they had decided that Rubio should set the first example for the rest of the men of America. That would be exactly what he deserves, the *******.

10. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

To be fair though, "Little Marco" already handed over his balls the day he decided to endorse Trump.

1 person likes this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Tricky subject but Marco Rubio is no expert and shouldn't be acting as such. I am pro science and pro choice but I cannot deny that I think legal abortion can impact black and latino suffrage for generations. In extreme cases (black woman) it can almost be like self inflicted genocide. How can a minority group gain any power under those conditions? Pro choice should not be as simple as it is right now, pro or anti abortion essentially. I guess you could say I'm pro-choice(s) with different ways to alleviate the I don't want this child for whatever reason choice. Easy abortion could wipe out minority suffrage and power for generations and that scares me.

12. underoverup

underoverup Member

I don't blame him look how far he has come after being born with microcephaly.

13. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I think that's ridiculous. Family planning means more education and more affluence, not self-inflicted genocide.

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I agree. Classic example of refusal to compromise. I get that some might feel they cannot compromise when lives are at stake, but there are some pretty simply common sense cases where abortion gets pretty vast support. Rape is one, known disease is another. Further, such cases are so small as to be essentially insignificant. Probably more of a slippery slope argument, but I think the difference between these and 'normal' abortions is pretty clear, hence a ditch, not a slope.

15. Nook

Nook Member

This is absurd.

You can make every bit as strong an argument that unwanted/unplanned pregnancies are contributing to poverty and a lack of social mobility for Hispanics and black Americans.

Using you logic, should white people begin having 5-10 kids to ensure that they retain their majority status?

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Every time I see this thread title, I think of Marco Polo. China. Then eventually Chinese Eugenics.

When China start engineering the perfect baby, I think we won't be so concern about abortion.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What he's talking about is that on average 684,740 black babies are aborted every year, how different would politics in America be if the 16 million black babies that were aborted since it became legal were actually born and raised?

It would certainly lead to more voting power. Now on the other hand, if abortion becomes easier with government incentives it's very likely that you'd see an increase over the 444 abortions per 1000 live births rate that it is at now for black babies causing the population to shrink and the voting power to diminish further.

Of course my argument for abortion is that while you might see a loss in numbers in a few demographics, you'd probably see a decrease in poverty and crime in those demographics as well. IMO that's worth it.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

so family planning now includes removing millions of potential minority voters which increases minority suffrage and lack of minority power. good to know.
    your post is absurd. there are an estimated almost 20 million black babies aborted since the 70s. that is potentially 20 million voters who could have helped their interests.

-edit- btw... it's not just the real number voters lost, it's compound because those 20 million would also have kids and so it goes. A recent # I saw was a black woman at 1.88 fertility rate!!! that is less than 2 people who have to replace the two people who had those 1.88 children!!! Now that doesn't factor in multiple partners but you get my point. If this continues, mathematically you could argue the black race is disappearing!!! That might make Bobby and many others happy but that's just awful. And why I called it a genocide. White's have the same sub 2.0 rate (I saw 1.77) but it's by choice. Not due to abortion as in the black community.

I also find it interesting that both of you act like experts but more than likely neither are black.

this post is exactly why minorities should not have access to easy abortions. it's a sick game that badly damages society, culture, power, suffrage, etc... instead i argue for easy access to pro-choice(s) but where the choices are more than just abortion. build and strengthen the demographics for minorities instead of destroy them as bobby would like just so he and his neighborhood feels more safe.

Democraps preach pro choice, give woman power, etc... but the other side they don't tell you is it destroys (long term) power within certain communities. Maybe that's their end game.

#38 ipaman, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

True they are not saying that getting infected will automatically lead to microcephaly but as your own link states they do feel confident that it is a cause.

I don't see any contradiction between what you posted in the above post and that the CDC is saying that Zika is a cause of microcephaly. Infection to symptom isn't always the same, for example not everyone with HIV will develop AIDS.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If you're looking just at the one factor of voting power for a particular group yes you're correct that having more votes would be a good thing. The problem though is that having a lot of children also comes with a lot of other issues.

Many studies have shown that there is a link between large population growth and poverty.
    http://www.unfpa.org/resources/population-and-poverty
    [rquoter]Reproductive health and poverty reduction
    Access to sexual and reproductive health, including family planning, can affect population dynamics through voluntary fertility reduction and reductions in infant and maternal mortality. Improved reproductive health also helps individuals, particularly young women, break out of intergenerational cycles of poverty. When women and couples are empowered to plan whether and when to have children, women are better enabled to complete their education; women’s autonomy within their households is increased; and their earning power is improved. This strengthens their economic security and well-being and that of their families. Cumulatively, this contributes to development progress and poverty reduction.

In addition to improving general health and well-being, analysis shows that meeting the reproductive health and contraceptive needs of all women in the developing world more than pays for itself. For every dollar invested in contraception, the cost of pregnancy-related care is reduced by $1.43. The lifetime opportunity cost related to adolescent pregnancy – a measure of the annual income a young mother misses out on over her lifetime – ranges from 1 per cent of annual gross domestic product in a large country such as China to 30 per cent of annual gross domestic product in a small economy such as Uganda. If adolescent girls in Brazil and India were able to wait until their early twenties to have children, the increased economic productivity would equal more than $3.5 billion and $7.7 billion, respectively.
    [/rquoter]

As noted in the piece giving women better ability to control their reproduction gives them more education and employment opportunities. Through those opportunities they can improve their economic standing and since money is power also increase their political standing.

The problem with just looking at sheer numbers ignores that without greater achievement the political power of just sheer numbers is diminished.