1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein] Rudy Gay on the trading block

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedRedemption, Jan 29, 2016.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4273/trade-buzz-grows-as-deadline-sits-three-weeks-away

Get it done Morey.

[​IMG]

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

We can give up batti....nevermind

2 people like this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not often that you see a player on KD's level on the trading block. This will change the title race.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rudy Gay has never not been on the trading block it feels like

5. RedRedemption

Let's do it.

We are going nowhere as is.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Give the kings whatever they want for Gay.

7. malakas

malakas Member

Confirmation of that realgm Kings insider.

8. RedRedemption

They would have really loved Head. :(

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

No. He's a worse three point shooter than our current SF. And he's under contract for two and a half more years. Seems like a really bad fit for the Rockets.

10. malakas

malakas Member

No his contract has become a great asset. It's below market price. I dont' like the fit and I don't really want him , but just so you know the only way to get him is by trading Ariza.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

They should be looking for a new owner instead.

12. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

hell he is on my fantasy team and I have been trying to trade him since November ! :confused::eek::p

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Not a surprise. That dude is a career negative

14. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Trade away for Gay, Trade back for Gay - Morey

15. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

If this guy were just a better ball handler he'd be a great player. Maybe add in a little extra court vision he'd honestly be a consistent all-star. Too bad...

16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

But but he is on Durants level...

17. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Kings are in the playoff hunt so it would need to be a trade that makes sense for them to keep winning.

I'm trying to think of the perfect trade so I started with thinking about a few teams that could use help from an all-around scoring wing.

Bulls come first.

Bulls in: Rudy Gay, 2018 second round draft pick from Portland
    Bulls out: Nikola Mirotic, Taj Gibson

Why the Bulls do this. Not sure, but Rose-Butler-Gay-Portis-Gasol could be fun
    Why the Kings do this. Not sure either because the Kings need a two guard more than anything.

Which makes me think, which team has a two guard that could be on the block?

That brings in the Wolves. They have Kevin Martin who is taking time away from the youngings. The Wolves could need some help with a back up big, and that's where Nikola Mirotic is. This is Nikola's second season in the NBA and after looking like he may have a promising career his numbers have dwindled. He is still a solid shooting stretch four who looks best next to defensive big men like Joakim Noah, so him playing minutes next to Towns could be great. Kevin Martin one more year left on his contract after this season, and has shown to be a great shooter who runs screens. It could be a great match with Rondo because those are the best type of players to match up with Rondo unlike Dallas tried to do with Monta Ellis. Gay for Martin swap doesn't benefit Sac town much doe.

So right now I have a three way trade with the Bulls, Wolves, and Kings.... and the salaries don't match because Chi Town still needs to give up like 6 million more! They're not going to garner much from Noah anymore. Not sure who wants MDJ, and Pau is their only 7 footer still standing. Only logical player they can move now is Taj Gibson, but who can have him out of the two other teams? This is where Morey comes though in his slab, and says what it do.

Rockets say, hey we'll take Taj Gibson if someone can take Corey Brewer? Wolves say been there, done that. Bulls are like... "Last time we had a Brewer we did pretty good, and he would be dope off the bench" but the Kings are like, "eh why not? We need a replacement SF anyways if Casspi starts sucking." so they end up getting Brewer over the Bulls because this is Sacramento's trade and not Chicago's.

Morey is like, "dope."

So it ends up becoming a 5 player, 4 team trade.

Bulls in: Rudy Gay
    Bulls out: Taj Gibson, Nikola Mirotic
    Why?: Bulls disparately need a scoring wing, and with Mike injured they're left with dumpster fire reserves Snell and Doug. A Rose-Butler-Gay-Portis-Gasol line up could be either good or bad, but the Bulls need to make a move for once in their life. They're a lost team though with Noah out for the season, but they can rebuild for the next if Noah recovers fully, another year for Rose, growth from both Butler and Portis, and maybe a free agency signing.

Rose/Brooks
    Butler/Hinrich
    Gay/MDJ
    Portis
    Gasol

Houston in: Taj Gibson
    Houston out: Corey Brewer
    Why?: Houston needs another reliable 4 to manage the fort with Smoove. I know people will look at the paper and see four 4s, and maybe fo vogues, but Dmo doesn't play and Jones may be on his way out if Morey sees something he likes. Brewer is a great locker room guy and I'm sure everyone loves him, but he can be expendable when we have a guy like KJ or Thornton on the bench waiting. You add a 4 who can rebound and defend for a speedy wing. Both are equal. We(Trevor mostly) will miss Brew though, but also appreciate Taj.

Beverley/Lawson
    Harden/Thornton
    Ariza/KJ
    Smoove/Gibson
    Dwight/Capela

Wolves in: Nikola Mirotic
    Wolves out: Kevin Martin
    Why: Martin needs to go. Taking minutes away from Shabazz, Lavine, and Wiggins. They get a stretch four who can provide some minutes and maybe grow and improve on an already young team with tons of potential. Don't see why they wouldn't do this trade.

(idk how the hell their rotation looks)
    Rubio/Miller
    Wiggins/Lavine
    Shabazz/Prince
    Mirotic/Garnett
    Towns/Pekovic

Kings in: Kevin Martin, Corey Brewer
    Kings out: Rudy Gay
    Why: Looking for trades for Gay. End up getting a good short term running mate for Rondo who can hopefully get his groove back in Rondo and also snatch up a solid back up wing in Brewer.

Rondo/Collison
    Martin/Belinelli
    Casspi/Brewer
    WCS
    Cousins/Koufos

Winners: Rockets, Wolves
    Losers: Probably mostly the Kings but the Bulls some too

Rockets and Wolves win because they either get equal talent or value back. Bulls lose because they gut their big man depth, and their bench still sucks. Kings lose because Gay is better than both Brewer and Martin, so the Kings may be better suited to stick with Gay.

Which I think they will. Nothing to see here, folks.

18. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

He said Gay was going to be traded by the end of last week.

Obviously things change quickly and deals fall through but it doesn't necessarily confirm anything.

19. malakas

malakas Member

yes he did. He also said to not hold him to that timetable esp with Gay's injuries after.
    Look..i see that he broke two news now,1+ week before the national writers. That's enough for me to confirm that he has real sources and not making things up. I at least am convinced. Perhaps not 100% accurate but pretty good.

20. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Is that accurate? I thought he was making $12-$13 MM. Couldn't you move TJ/KJ/Brewer for Gay? I don't think it's a great deal, but you would make room for Gay's contract and PT at both the SF and PF slots.

So I don't think your statement is factual at all.