1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein] Rockets hired Morey after being shot down by Oakland A's GM

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by corby, Jun 5, 2006.

1. corby

corby Contributing Member

Everybody remembers how horribly the Weisbrod experiment worked out in Orlando. The Magic hired a NHL GM to run the team, and figured out one year later that he would be better off working in hockey.

Fortunately, the Rockets learned from this idiocy, and realized they would never hire an NHL GM to manage their promising team. Instead, they targeted MLB.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryDate=20060605&name=nba

Interesting story in circulation about Rockets general manager-in-training Daryl Morey, who's often described as the NBA's answer to Billy Beane of the Oakland A's and "Moneyball" fame. Morey will meet several of his GM peers for the first time this week when he attends the annual pre-draft camp that has been moved from Chicago to Orlando.

The story: Houston owner Les Alexander, so determined to put a statistical ace in the Beane mold in charge of his basketball people, approached the real Beane first to see if he had any interest in trading baseball for basketball.

The Rockets, when rebuffed, then targeted Morey, who was working for the Celtics under Danny Ainge and in the same town where Theo Epstein took over the Red Sox -- and took them to a historic World Series championship -- with about as much experience as Morey has.

2. docgundy

docgundy Member

Interesting

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Proper statistical analysis is very important, and I'm sure Morey's ideas will be helpful.

That said, I don't think it would have quite the same impact as it did in baseball. What it takes to win in baseball is much easier to quantify than for basketball. Also, individual player performance in basketball is largely determined by team context (often in unpredictable ways), whereas in baseball that complexity isn't as much a factor.

4. kgw

kgw Member

I think Morey's role is as much to avoid deals like the ones we gave to
    Matt Maloney, Mo Taylor, and Moochie Norris as to find diamonds in the
    rough.

5. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Good Point. Obviously when Les allowed those contracts he had a lot of confidence in Rudy T but those contract are desvisating and although we are not still paying them we are still paying for them.

6. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

If this is his role, I don't think I can feel too good about Morey. Here are some of the players the Celtics signed/traded for in the past few years --- Brian Scalabrine, Raef Lafrentz, Wally Szczerbiak, Antoine Walker, Michael Olowokandi, Ricky Davis and Vin Baker...

Not diamonds in the rough material if you ask me...

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

First off, Weisbrod has never been an NHL GM. He was GM of the minor league hockey team in Orlando. After they won the championship, the league folded, IIRC, and then he got moved into the Magic organization. While I wouldn't really say that it's the smartest thing to go after a baseball gm to run your NBA franchise, I don't think that you can compare one of the most successful MLB GMs in recent history to a guy running a team in a minor league that folded.

8. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

while I am not crazy about the hire, I think that the fact that he came through a basketball organization (Celts) is a better sign than if he came from baseball or hockey directly

9. Omer

Omer Member

Hmm, as mentioned before this is obviously a bold move by the Rockets. Bringing a pure stats GM into the NBA. Hopefully this works out for the best.

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I'm at work and can't verify but I don't recall that Morey was with the C's during any of those transactions. IIRC, he spotted Ryan Gomes in the 2nd round and Gomes has looked real good for the Green.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Scalabrine was pretty much all Ainge - there have been articles about it, how Scalabrine matches the whole "brain typing" thing.

Ricky Davis has a bad attitude but is good talent (honestly, I'd take him for us right now). Wally and Raef are a good player on a bad contracts that Morey had nothing to do with. Toine was a 1/2 season cheap rental, and Kandi was a cap throw in. Vin Baker was actually moderately productive for the C's until he relapsed and the C's voided his contract.

I read somewhere Morey had a lot to do with the Delonte West and Tony Allen picks; Allen has been ok, and West looks like a very nice late first pick.

12. rocketsinsider

I find it disturbing that our future GM was actually a second choice after a candidate who was in a completely different sport.

BTW:does anyone have the free agent list for this offseason thanx

13. docgundy

docgundy Member

Being assistant under CD will help him tremendously. I don't know about you, but I learn best through experience. He'll have a solid learning curve next season and he'll be ready to take over things the season after.

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I don't think Morey will have a totall say on wich players
    to aquire, I think it will be a collective effort between the
    GM,Coach and Scouts. With Morey offering opinions outside
    the box.
    It's a risky move on the part of the Rockets but a
    move I think will end up being the norm in a couple of years
    as teams try to get any advantage possible. I just hope we
    don't end up looking like fools! After all there is a fine line
    between dancing and looking like an idiot on the dance floor!

15. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

I dont know why any company hire any GM just to "offer opinions".

16. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Will it make you feel better if I tell you that you may not have been your lover/wife's first choice? :D

Life is not fair - these things happen.

Heck 3 seasons ago, Larry Brown was our first choice - we are lucky he said no. Also, Brent barry was our first choice before we ended up with Jon in a trade later that year. In each case, I can say we ended up with the better choice by default. I'd be more worried if we could not land anyone in our top 3 choices.

17. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the book 'Moneyball' the GM made all the personel decisions, and the manager, Art Howe, was "kept in the dark".

18. BamBam

Do you really think C.D. makes all the player moves by himself?
    Of course C.D has the final say,but not before consulting with
    other people in the organization.

Like I said in my previous response, this is a risky move by the Rockets
    in that they are hiring someone with no previous GM experience and no
    real basketball background. Unless you count the Celtics job as experience?
    If Les really hired him to make all the calls on the players we aquire and have
    no input from his scouts and his coach then the proverbial ( A fool and his
    money soon depart) should apply!

19. BamBam

This isn't a book, the GM isn't Billy Bean, the manager isn't Art Howe and
    we're not even talking about baseball.
    They hired someone who for better
    or worse will need more guidance and tutelage than the one year that's
    being reported. I'm sure as time goes by he will eventually exercise more
    authority over the ballclub but not to the extent of "keeping people in the dark".

20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the title of this article.