1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein] Rockets expected to try to bring back Jason Terry next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, May 26, 2015.

1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I am guessing that the team wants him to return, and he would like to return too. The rockets are the best team for him to be around.

2. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I still think Terry has a lot more to give.

But I think we totally mismanaged his playing time this season, especially early in the season when our guards was healthy and we had a somewhat capable Canaan itching to play. There was no reason for Terry to get 20+ minutes per game so early in the season.

Ideally, Terry is someone who is buried on the bench for most games in the regular season then starts to get some playing time after the all-star break so he can warm up just in time for the playoffs.

I would love to bring him back if we have the depth to do that. Terry cannot be our back up point guard anymore.

3. Ranny

Ranny Member

At the vet minimum yes definitely, bring the Jet back. He seems to be a great influence to our younger guys, and as long as we don't ask him to play 25+ minutes and guard Curry or Westbrook very night, he can be very useful, plus he shoots the 3 like a deadly sniper!

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

BTW, how much is the vet minimum? Is it based on the number of years in the league? If so, what's Terry eligible to make?

5. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I love his leadership, but when his 3s aren't falling (31% against GSW) he's a gigantic liability out there.

I wouldn't mind having him back, but I don't want him playing significant minutes next season.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Mark Jackson is a Golden State homer

No matter what anyone says

Rocket River

7. basketballholic

I couldn't care less what Mark Jackson has to say unless he overhears our huddle and broadcasts it to the Warriors bench.

What is really bugging me is all the uncalled, obvious fouls against our guys followed up by calling our guys for the flagrant and then letting GS tell the officials when to call fouls on them. In one sequence, Harden drove the lane and got hit TWICE with no call. They just gave Houston the ball inbounds instead of putting Harden on the line where he should have been. Then on the inbounds GS tells the officials that they were intentionally fouling JSmoove. So, they go over and put 2 hands on Smoove and the officials blow the whistle and put Smoove on the line instead of rightfully putting James on the line just seconds before.

Now that's all kinds of disgusting.

8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I've been pleasantly surprised by Terry. Not that he's set the world on fire or anything, but he's been forced to overextend himself. He's starting against CP3 and Curry in back to back series. At his age he should barely see the court! I'd be glad to have him back as a positive veteran presence on the bench.

9. dragician

dragician Member

probably as a coach.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Best suited as 15th man or "player-coach" E.g Josh Powell.

Shouldn't be in the rotation, let alone starting.

Veteran minimum next year for Terry would be $1,499,187.

11. malakas

malakas Member

For a 10+ veteran like Terry about 1.5 per.

12. Awkh

Awkh Member

Good move keep the Vet in the locker room it seems like Harden and Terry get along very well

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'd love to have him back as a 15 min per game shooter, and I wouldn't expect money to be a significant problem. His market value is no higher than $2-3 million, and his minimum salary is $1.5. Should be easy to get a deal done on both sides.

14. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Championship teams need leaders. The way this team is currently constructed, Terry is one of the only true leaders on the team. He is the gel that keeps this team together.

Absolutely keep him as a backup, unless we land some top-notch PG in the offseason.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Would love to have Jet back for the vet minimum (I think a lot of us feel the same way), but if he plays very much next year, it'll be because we're in trouble again at the one. Let's hope that doesn't happen. This has been ridiculous. We're starting a 37 year old player (and his backup is 38) in the Western Conference Finals as our point guard. Bizarre isn't too strong a word to use to describe the situation we're in. That they have played as well as they have (and yeah, they have been far from ideal) is a bloody miracle. They have to rank as one of the oldest point guard tandems in playoff history.

1 person likes this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

My ideal scenario is that the team trades for a starting PG in a deal that required them to use Nick Johnson. They keep Bev and then Jet is the 3rd string guy.

I would go bananas for a Lowry/Bev/Jet PG rotation.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I would love to have the Jet back we need a true PG and maybe a sharp shooter like Ray Allen ( If he decides to play ball again).

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

STFU. Not a true Rockets fan. Have you even read a lick of any of these articles? He's a big locker room glue guy.

19. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Ugh, our pg situation is such a mess. Id Like him back, and I'd like to keep Beverley because he's a known commodity whose bird rights we have, but there are a lot of free agents hitting the market this off season who could really upgrade our team.

20. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Sure, he could be a locker room leader for this team and come of the bench as 10-12th man (at the vet min), but man I'm really mad at his shooting these last few games. It seems like whenever we need a 3 pointer from him, he misses...