1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Marc Stein] Possible multiple team deal bringing Tyson Chandler to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mollamar, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Nvm found it.

Bill Simmons: Countdown to the LeBron James decision - ESPN

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If Morey pulls this trade off he is certainly a deity of some sort.

3. opticon

opticon Member

This deal smells like Morey. Tyson's 12 mil expiring + Battier's 7 mil expiring = 17 mil Max player.

Come the trade deadline Morey is going to make it rain with 17 mil in expiring contracts only tied up in 2 players.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Meh, I guess it's a low-risk deal. If we can somehow fuse his body parts with Yao's, we might have a center capable of playing an 82 game season.

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Maybe I didn't watch him enough, but is Beasley really this bad?

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If they can somehow miss games that alternate we will.

The best part is a decent backup means Yao will be played for less minutes.

7. iball

iball Contributing Member

I see ... makes sense. Might get a little complicated though.

8. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Nah, he's a very good player with tons of potential but hes just always been in the dog house. He needs vets around him. If he goes to CHA, I think S-Jax will put him in his place...

9. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

this. also chandler will contributes to us until he and shane traded for carmelo or chris paul.

10. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Great trade. I've been proposing Jeffries for Nazr but Chandler works too.

The Rockets have to send out more salary to Toronto...Andersen and Harris would be close, I think.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Nice math fail. :p

12. rocketsqtc

rocketsqtc Member

Beasley is a head case. I want no part of that.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am stunned there are people that don't like this deal for the Rockets.

We would be trading Jeffries' expiring (useless to us right now with a stacked PF spot) for Tyson Chandler's own much larger expiring (12.7!). Chandler would be playing the BACKUP C role for us. Which means limited minutes a night. He would be adding value to the team in shot-blocking, something we don't have a lot of, (though Jordan Hill is still here as well). And Chandler is friends with Yao from back when Chandler was in HS and Yao was touring the states on the Chinese national team.

This is complete value here. You can slag on Chandler all you want, but before you do, look at what we are giving up and realize the value here on what we are getting and what purpose this serves.

1 person likes this.
  14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

While not on an Eddie Griffin level, Beasley has some emotional baggage and proved from the NBA prerequisite rookie camp that he's a big pothead, even by NBA standards.

To be fair, he went through counseling here in Houston, and might be doing just fine these days, thank you. But the memory lingers, and teams back off of potential headcases.

15. \/|()L/\T()R

\/|()L/\T()R Member

Agreed, or Morey could be setting up for next years FA, like Melo...assuming he doesn't sign an EX with Denver.

16. DaneB

DaneB Member

Doesn't that make $19 million? If so that's enough for us to practically trade for a max all star type of player...

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Chandler has been very good buddies with Yao Ming since the high school days! Reunited and it feels so good.........

18. Tornadoofsoul6

Jeffries + Andersen + Alexander Johnson or Mike Harris for Tyson Chandler would be nice.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Getting Tyson Chandler for Jared Jeffries would be a steal. Fills a huge need and doesn't cost you any real assets.

Another bonus is that Chandler is only 27 and his expiring contract falls in line with the end of the current CBA. If we intend for him to be a long term solution at back up center we could resign him at a reduced rate, in line with the new CBA, and fill that hole for a long while.

Injuries are a concern as usual, but what can you do? This is a very good move if true. Heck, Id probably still do it if it cost us Ariza. I dont really understand all the moving pieces but I would think it would cost us something else beyond just JJ, probably Hayes or Andersen.

20. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I think that's what he's talking about.

If Denver realizes that Melo is all but leaving, the Rockets could jump in and give them $17 million in expiring contracts for him. Then the Rockets could offer Melo the full max next off-season (depending on the CBA).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.