1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Marc Stein] Possible multiple team deal bringing Tyson Chandler to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mollamar, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I think some people like to trade just for the sake of trading.

2. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Damn, the rich keeps on getting richer. The Raptors are going to suck next year and Miami has their pick? If I was Miami I would do everything I can to keep it.

3. mazinger

mazinger Member

Colangelo to everyone: "Morey, I want either, CBud, Hill or Pat Pat"
    Morey to everyone " Screw you guys, ... IM GOING HOME"

:p Morey isn't dumb.

4. AggieRocketsFan

@davidnuno

Trade talks involving rockets in 4 way deal with Tyson Chandler coming to Houston are dead right now.

Posted already??

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

yes ;)

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Anyone post this? It's from the local rag's sports dude, who you'd think would have seen a lot of Chandler. The guy rips him a new one:

Chandler's such a tease, but he's no fool
    Scott Fowler
    sfowler@charlotteobserver.com
    Posted: Friday, Jul. 02, 2010

The biggest non-surprise in Bobcats' offseason news so far this season is that center Tyson Chandler - after supposedly careful consideration - decided NOT to opt out of his contract and instead take the $12.6 million the Bobcats are obligated to pay him for the 2010-11 season.

Fortunately, that season is Chandler's last under this current deal, in which he is ridiculously overpaid for what he produces.
    Let's be fair first of all - the Bobcats inherited that deal, they didn't make it. But it is crazy. Chandler ranks as the team's highest-paid player, and it's not even close.

This is despite the fact that he's not one of the Bobcats' best two players (Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson). This is despite the fact that he was usually the THIRD center to enter the game in the Orlando playoff series (Coach Larry Brown basically considered Chandler the starter, he said, but preferred to let Theo Ratliff and Nazr Mohammed pick up all the early fouls on Dwight Howard).

Chandler is a classic tease of a player - a 7-footer who can run the floor and is decently athletic. But if he's not dunking, he's not scoring. And while he can rebound and block shots when healthy, he's too often not healthy.

I could be wrong on this, but I don't see Chandler as being a whole lot better next season than he was this season, and then after that I don't see him here at all. I'm sure Chandler thought a little about opting out and testing the market. But then he came to his senses. When you're about to get a guaranteed $12.6 million, you don't do anything stupid. And Chandler didn't.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/02/1538481/chandlers-such-a-tease-but-hes.html

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

^^^ agree any team looking for chandler to be a scorer is only fooling themselves

in minutes off the bench if he can provide solid defense then he will be a benefit to the rockets

the rockets are already forced to overpay jeffries using that money to overpay chandler for the last year of his deal makes more sense since chandler can provide a need for this team off the bench.

chandler had different expectations in charlotte he replaced okafor the franchise's first ever pick. he wont have those expectatins here

of course all of this is moot seeing the deal is dead

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Agreed.

I guess Charlotte fears that it may be a taxpayer next year, in which case this trade would cost them over $3.5M. Even after the cash, they are still in the red on this deal.

The four-team deal would have saved the Bobcats anywhere from $800k to $1.6M.

Maybe they don't view Beasley as a significant enough upgrade over Chandler to justify a small financial hit. :confused:

9. mofuggin_OG

mofuggin_OG Member

lets wait until trade deadline, for now we only need some solid backup C

Morey's knows more about the game than we do so lets chill out and eat some nachos :cool: :cool:

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think he would be the best fit under the circumstannces, so let's do it if it is available.

11. Asian Sensation

If true and or alive I like it. I like it a lot.

He could basically be what Dikembe was for us in terms of rebounding and defense with any points off of put backs being an added bonus. Of course Deke was much more skilled and knowledgable but hopefully chandler can close that gap with athleticism and youth.

12. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

deals dead.. it woulda been nice to have Chandler, he woulda had an effect like Camby with POR.. insurance while performing at a very high level

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

From the Live Chat on ESPN:

[Comment From Larry From BarbadosLarry From Barbados: ]
    What's the info on the Beasley trade??
    Thursday July 8, 2010 6:05 Larry From Barbados
    6:05 Marc Stein: Still being discussed. But Toronto has hesitations.
    Thursday July 8, 2010 6:05 Marc Stein
    6:05 Marc Stein: Charlotte wants Beasley badly, from what I'm told.
    6:05 Marc Stein: Houston would more than happily come away with Chandler in the deal.
    6:06 Marc Stein: But Raps have made it clear they don't want to participate in a sign-and-trade for Bosh unless they get the picks and trade exception just how they want it. Hasn't happened yet.

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Nice find Bima, not only did you figure out the complex NBA salary cap system but now you give us hope via chat!!!

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is it possible to cut Toronto out of it and just find some under-the-cap team willing to take $3.1 mil salary (I am guessing David Andersen plus, for example, Alexander Johnson) for some consideration?

The report had Miami giving up Toronto's first rounder in the process. What if they offer their own first rounder or a future pick for the "Toronto substitute" team?

I am thinking, for example, the OKC Thunder would gladly take a $3.1 mil contract dump for whatever Miami would have given Toronto.

The only difference is that it won't give Bosh that 6th year. But that's Bosh's problem, not Miami's. Miami probably wants to show they honestly tried to get him that 6th year, but I just can't why Miami won't give up and go with the same deal with OKC instead of TOR.

16. DaneB

DaneB Member

Maybe they should just kick Toronto out of it and just make it a three team deal...That would make the most sense because they are the ones holding up the trade. They still need to clear some capspace for Lebron, if he plans to sign there, and Bosh wouldnt be taking the max anyway...

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am a little confused as to why the salary has to go to Toronto and why they even need to be involved at all. Just make the SNT a totally different arrangement.

Trade

Hou: Chandler
    Cha: Jeffries, Beasely, Andersen, Johnson
    Mia: TPE

Work out an agreement with Andersen to disolve his contract once he is traded and we can use the MLE to resign him for one year at a slight premium to what he is making now. He doesnt even need to leave Houston.

-Cha takes no additional cap room and gets Beasely
    -Mia dumps beasely and can sign thier big three
    -Hou gets thier backup center, but uses thier MLE and takes on some additional salary
    -Andersen gets some bonus money

Everyone gets what they want.

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I think Miami's primary motivation is to get Bosh more money. I don't think they want to dump Beasley, former #2 pick, for nothing.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

And they still accomplish this under that scenario. They can then complete thier SNT from Toronto for picks and a TPE, which they couldnt do with Beasely on the roster, since Toronto isnt interested in him.

20. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Charlotte wants to trim salary and get Beasley. If they were willing to take on Anderson this deal would already be done. And why would we want to sign him back after we dump him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.