1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein] Possible multiple team deal bringing Tyson Chandler to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mollamar, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herro

herro Member

as long as Hill, Bud, Pat Pat are not involved this is another great move

2. dingus

dingus Member

Three points of contention with some of the previous posts:

1) To those who oppose the trade: I do not understand your logic. If the trade goes as proposed, a one-for-one transfer of Jeffries for Chandler, why are you against this? What role does Jeffries fill on this roster? We have two plus defenders to guard 2/3s (Ariza and Battier) and Jeffries lack of strength makes his skill negligible when guarding 4s in relation to Hill (and hopefully Patterson). Jeffries really has no role in the rotation as it stands. We would be giving up essentially nothing for Chandler. If Chandler doesn't work out (either injury or lack of performance), he can ride the bench every bit as well as Jeffries can.

2) To those who oppose Chandler's style of play: I have a hard time thinking of a more perfect fit for our backup center than Chandler. Obviously this is not an offensive acquisition, so let's focus on defense. I cannot help but see him as a younger, quicker Deke. Chandler is an excellent off the ball shotblocker, which will help deter some of the drives created by Brooks and Martin's porous defense. We saw this gaping flaw in the Rockets last year when Chuck was on the floor versus previous years when we had Deke patrolling the paint. Additionally, Chandler has the agility to hang with the smaller, quicker centers that Yao will have fits keeping up with (think Serge Ibaka).

3) To those considering Chandler as trade bait: There will only be one Gasol-trade per millenia. That is to say, those who think that the Rockets can simply trade two expiring contracts (Chandler, Battier) for a max-worth player are out of their mind. No GM (save that madman in Minny) would accept that offer. If you trade an expiring max player for two expiring contracts you are not gaining anything financially, but are losing talent for half a year. The only way to entice a GM into trading their star is to offer good young talent + draft picks + salary relief. Chandler would be a nice PART of an attempted star-grab... but by no means does he put us any closer to acquiring a star player than Jeffries. This would be a strictly on-court move.

As a last point lest we forget... this is a CONTRACT YEAR for Chandler. If one thing can is safe to assume about the NBA knuckleheads, it's that they will at no time be more motivated than during their last significant contract year.

4 people like this.
  3. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I actually understand and agree with your logic, but I would rather have the best 12 (15) players on my roster. That means Battman's in and Jeffries is out.

4. lokeej

lokeej Member

I don't really like Chandler, but you gotta admit, he is an upgrade over Jeffries and he has been a starter. Injuries is an issue, though, with him!

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

How many years have i been talking about that hybrid guy the rockets struggle with? Larsv8 is a newcomer so he thinks i don't like shane just for the sake of dislike, but thats not it. The rockets have trouble with the perimeter 4 guys. I can't count how many times you've been talking about luis not coming out to guard lewis,dirk,murphy, odom and guys like that. Well, he's used to banging and playing in the paint his entire life. Jeffries is really just a blown up 3 like dirk,odom,lewis. He can guard those guys in the post,off the dribble, and on the perimeter. Thats the advantage those kind of guys have on teams. Garnett couldn't keep odom in front of him either, but jeffries has shown the ability to defend those types. Those are the types that usually become the x-factors or the guys you just can't match up with.

6. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Nice post homie.

7. Southern Select

I see Chandler clogging the lane when Yao sits, preventing the other team from just attacking the basket - like Deke did.

8. tofu--

tofu-- Member

As I recall, Chandler and Yao are very good friends. Chandler and him played in the same basketball camp before they were drafted, if I'm correct?

This is a great solution to get an athletic big body and also to boost chemistry. I really like the deal.

Of course we have to part with anything or anyone else I'd be less enamored, but this works out so perfectly all I can say is I <3 Morey if this goes through.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I have been high on hill since last year, but to your point. There will be situations in games when you have to cool guys off and make someone hits shots. The rockets only have 1 guys who can defend those hybrid guys that seem to kill the rockets and thats jeffries. Hayes can guard low block guys and is good and pnr and scola tries but can't gaurd anyone. Hill is a natural 4 and will probably have poor muscle memory when trying to get out of the paint like scola. Jeffries is a rotation/situational player. He can play that role and play it well. As we witnessed last year, battier is having trouble staying with guys, but he did use his length better to contest and blocks shots.

10. Nero

Nero Member

Yao's quote when asked about Chandler, way back when Yao first was drafted:
    "I know him. A small piece of cake."

Maybe this means they are good friends, maybe it means Yao knows Chandler is not fit to carry Yao's luggage.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

In addition to the huge trade exception, Miami has reportedly already agreed to give Toronto back its 2011 first rounder that the Raptors traded to Miami in a previous deal.

I suppose that Toronto would rather get the pick and a $16.6M trade exception instead of the pick, a $14.1M trade exception, David Andersen, and $3M cash.

12. Mashing

Mashing Member

What he said, but for Jefferies only... sure, why not. Still, his only game was ally oops from Chris Paul, after he got traded he didn't do squat. Is he even a good rebounder?

13. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Well said, but screw Miami, ya know?

14. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Why are people so down on Battier. Remember, not so long ago, he was part of a team that almost beat the Lakers. He is the one guy that can help at least stop elite guards like Kobe and Lebron in this league.

You guys don't know what you're missing when he's gone....you're going to be like..wtf...who's going to guard Kobe now?? Don't take something for granted. Sure we have Ariza but still, Battier is always solid. If he didn't have a great year last year it's because Yao wasn't there!! His game will pick up when Yao's back. Actually, everyone's game will pick up when Yao's back.

I wouldn't give up Battier or Hill for Chandler. Maybe a draft pick of NY or this year's draft of Patterson.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Does anyone remember the last time a trade exception that big ($10+) was used to get an All-Star player? I know the Rockets have had pretty big exceptions but I can't seem to recall an exception ever being used on an All-Star player acquisition.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Why the hell would Miami give that pick back? It's going to be a lott pick for sure. Is it top 3 protected or something?

I like the trade as long as it doesn't involve us giving up a 1st rounder or any of our youngsters. Toronto can go to hell with that.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Seems like posturing to me.

Given Toronto's salary, I doubt they are really gonna use the full $16.6 TE. Though I can see why they don't want to get closer to the tax threshhold with Andersen's contract-- makes using a part of the TE to eat salary less appealing.

18. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Battier haters are gonna hate and will never appreciate his value. Thank goodness Morey is our GM.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If Tyson can hold up for the entire season,I'm ok with it. I'm not sure if he can do that though. If this helps getting LB to Miami,the picks from the Knicks will have more value. If Tyson is not healthy,I would rather prefer to retain Jeffries.

20. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

this trade will not go down if the raptors insist on one of our young players, hopefully they budge.

chandler would be a great back up center. if we get him, we are set for positions 3-5. all we need is someone that can back up martin...whether that is taylor or not, im not sure...maybe the roster is set...bye bye david anderson though, i kinda wanted to see how he could spread the floor for yao in certain games where we could play both on the floor... o well whatever!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.