1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marc Stein laid off at ESPN

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 28, 2017.

1. what

what Member

I don't even know what you are trying to defend? The fact that you are willing to respect a woman if she doesn't get by by being eye candy? Or the fact that you actually like a woman reporter? Congratulations.

2. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Most women reporters are just eye candy, like Hooters waitresses.

I respect the ones that get by on actual merit without the crutch of looks, unlike most women everywhere.

3. what

what Member

So obviously Ramona Shelburne is doing that by virtue of the fact that they certainly didn't hire her for her looks. Right, right?

roslolian likes this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

this conversation got weird lol.

If it makes anyone feel better I never liked rachel nichols. even when she was younger and I thought she was hot

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. what

what Member

That's fine, but Linda Cohn, I don't see how anybody in their right mind doesn't think she is fantastic.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Read this article and be enlightened. It's like the author says: you know times have changed when Scott van Pelt is considered one of the oldies.

Linda Cohn is maybe one of a handful of people still left at ESPN that remind of you the time that it stood for quality programming, the others being Berman, Rece Davis, Karl Ravech, and to a lesser extent Kenny Mayne and Trey Wingo. The ones who built the house though, for the most part have floated off to greener pastures. Dan Patrick, Keith Olberman, Stu Scott, Craig Kilborn, Greg Gumbel, Rich Eisen, Robin Roberts, Mike Tirico...those people are the reason ESPN continues to maintain its moat over other networks, its brand loyalty that allows it to keep abusing consumers knowing they will still come back time and time again, keeping ratings high as they pass out on their couches (or get admitted to nursing homes) with it playing on TV in the background. It's the ideal of the sports news network that was so well profiled on the old sitcom Sports Night, one of my favorite old shows whose box set I still pull out now and then.

But all good things must pass, and ESPN is partly responsible for shooting itself in the foot by negotiating poor deals with sports leagues for rights that assumed ratings would keep on climbing. The other part they have no control over, and that's the fact that my generation (and every one to follow) hates the idea of cable as a bundled fee for worthless channels like Life or H2O, and we'd much rather pay a higher individual cost to get direct-to-consumer programming. Charge me $120 to get your entire 162 MLB season streaming on my computer, smartphone, or TV? Hell yes I'll do it. Charge me just as much to get maybe 50 games out of your 82 game NBA schedule, with all the best games weeded out because TNT and ESPN still want their dough? You can **** off, NBA. Lose money and learn your lesson and then come back to me with higher quality streams and ALL the good games, not just the **** ones vs the Timberwolves on a Wednesday night.

In summation, read that article. And cry not for ESPN or its employees, it's just a sign of the times.

7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I hardly know who linda cohn is and have no opinion on her. ehhh i wouldn't chalk it up to sexism. Obviously sexism is a very real thing and plays a hand in all these judgments whether we know it or not but on face value I don't think people hating on commentators has that much to do with it.

People hate on all these annoying male commentators too. We all hate Reggie.

I don't see how anyone in their right mind hates bill or clyde

8. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

she was one of the worst reporters during the Dwight Howard signing with so much misleading information

even when it was confirmed she kept saying how he was still 50-50 and the lakers were still in it. lying b****

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I never thought he was a full timer - seems like he just has the occasional interview/analysis and a few articles here and there. I think his main business is player development.

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That observation is shaped heavily by ESPN's sexist culture(long reported on places like Deadspin) since ESPN's size means they dictate most of the sports reporting norms. With great power comes great responsibility, ESPN.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

ESPN actually seems to have plenty of unattractive women (yikes, sorry) in major roles.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"I have literally millions of unattractive women working for me, and they are all greattttttt. Just great. Unattractive women love me..."
    (Donald Trump voice)

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Did they really just hire Woj and fire damn near everybody else as if Woj can single handily replace an entire army of reporters? (okay. he probably can.)

I know Woj has been warring with ESPN for years and now a part of me hopes to hear that part of his terms to join the ESPN team were that they vanquish all of his enemies there. That would be at least somewhat amusing, if awfully dickish.

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Name some. Not to clown on them, but the Doris Burke and Ramona Shelburnes of the world get a minute or two of face time on TV at best and mostly that's because they are good at what they do. The ESPN formula is that they have to pretty to be on the air for a majority of the program (think Molly Qerim, MIchelle Beadle, Sage Steel, Rachel Nichols, etc) and they mix those with ex athletes, and the occasional non athlete on air personality like the Skip Bayless/Stephen A/Max whatever his name is (I think his last name should be Idiot but I digress).

Show me the major roles for relatively unattractive women.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I thought calling games (like Burke) or the higher level reporting (like Shelley Smith) = the higher level roles, whereas the Morning Pizza or whatever was for jabornis. But you're probably right, I likely have it backwards now that I'm reminded how dumb the country is.

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The changes made in ESPN has nothing to do with what kind of major sports rights they are holding.

It has more to do with how the media works nowadays.

People are not getting the news from the traditional way anymore, sportscenter are all OLD NEWS, that's at least 20-30 minutes late and in this era, that means sh't.

People are getting all the latest, best, first handed info, with details, with video, with much more through the social media instantly.

Traditional ways of presenting the news like paper, radio or even TV, are outdated source.

ESPN is not MLB network, not NBATV or NFLTV, they are sportsnews and that old school format is dead, even their website is facing the same challenge.

Hence they have to make these changes.

roslolian and Hakeemtheking like this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Haha - I could be wrong but I think those shows are some of their top rated programs but maybe I'm just projecting this 'ESPN is made by Jabronis, for Jabronis' idea. It always sounded to me like someone at ESPN said Doris has a face for radio and that's how they have handled her career. I have very rarely seen her in front of the camera for more than a minute and that's a shame because she is clearly very knowledgeable and I would much rather hear her talk about the game at halftime than ex-athletes.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is always another side of a version of Nichols.
    [​IMG]

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Woj has got to be the highest paid reporter in sports now.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member