1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein] Deron Williams will be traded if Dwight is a Laker before the deadline

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Commodore, Jan 13, 2012.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

What does that have to do with it? One reason D-Will has to perform so well is because he's taking up 1/3 of his team's salary. Klow is not as good but he's making1/3 of what D-Will be making, and the dropoff between D-Will and Klow isn't that big, maybe top 1-3 pg to top 5-10.

One reason I always think about when trading for a superstar is the acid test: how well is his team doing now? Even with garbage around them LBJ, DH, KG and Pau Gasol made their team reach the playoffs consistently. OTH, guys like Melo, Bosh, CP3 and DW can't even make their teams reach 0.500. This tells me that changing locations from their teams to Houston won't do much unless we get other franchise talent around. Which begs the question why not just get that other franchise talent and play him with Lowry.

Why will we trade everything including the kitchen sink for someone who will only be a slight upgrade over what we have now?

1 person likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You do need to explain - do the Rockets retroactively get Williams past stats to count in a time machine?

Lowry = Williams in his prime right now.

If he does it on a "REGULAR basis" why isn't he doing it now?

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

to me the eye test says Lowry isn't as good Williams was in his prime. But it is possible that is skewed from watching Williams build up speed from halfcourt and running right past our crap PG and super slow center.

no way I want Williamson this team though, and not just because their careers are headed in different directions.

4. Rockets_Texans

[​IMG]

Let him do the job

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Dollar for dollar, Lowry is the better value as an individual player right now. However, we don't know if that is sustainable. We do know Deron's career is sustainable.

You cannot use this season as proof that Deron is declining. He is not in decline. He is playing on a total crap team that doesn't care about winning right now. They're not trying to win. His stats are crap because of it.

But he's still the same player, which means, he is a top 1-4 PG in the game and when at his best he is arguably he best PG in the game.

Lowry, on the other hand, is playing great and looks sensational. And he's at top 8 consideration. IMO, Lowry, right now, would rank in the top 3-7 PGs in the game. And he is tremendous value for his contract. And he could be a championship winning point guard with the right teammates around him.

So, in my opinion, trading Lowry for Deron straight up isn't maximizing value for our assets.

However, you have to consider the Dwight factor. IF....we could trade for Deron and attract Dwight, THEN...you have to make that trade. And IF...we traded for Dwight and had the cap room to sign Deron outright in the offseason, THEN you trade Lowry for Deron to get both guys to extend and be your base for the next 5-8 years. And THEN you have 2 superstars to attract major talent to our team.

Now, IF Dwight were smart enough to see it, he would look at our team and see a young point guard that is one of the tops in the game, playing at a very meager salary and he would think that if he were to sign in Houston, him and Lowry could attract another max player or two even and all the good veterans that they needed to be in championship contention every year. But alas, Dwight has tunnel vision. All he can see is Deron. And for good reason. Deron is a great player.

One possibility that I'm considering in my mind right now is Morey offering Orlando Lowry, Martin, Scola, and Dally for Dwight, Hedo, and Jameer (or something else besides Jameer). Just basically cut the core out of our team and give it to Orlando for Dwight and fodder. This leaves us plenty of cap to sign Deron outright after 2012, so it becomes a Mexican standoff between us and NJ on Dwight. If NJ budges, then we have the young players and draft picks to send NJ for a rebuild.

You can switch up the pieces a million different ways but the whole point is selling out to get Dwight here on a rental with plenty of space to add Deron as a free agent in 2012 to get NJ to come to the table and talk.

We get Dwight in here, we go get Olajuwon and pay him a million dollars to show up at every game and practice until the season is over, with the directive to make Dwight his best friend to entice Dwight to stay here.

So, in essence, you trade Lowry if it gives you the opportunity to get Dwight and Deron together because the truth of the matter is...whichever team pairs the two of them together and gets another superstar to play alongside those two has a better chance for multiple championships than Miami because of the fact they have combined arguable the best big man in the game with a dominant perimeter player. You combine that with one more superstar that is a multiple championship winning team.

Think about this combo for a moment: Deron/Dwight/KLove

What Dallas is thinking is: Deron/Dwight/Dirk
    That unit will win more than 1 championship. It's built better than Dwade/James/Bosh.

In my opinion, the pairing of Deron and Dwight is a huge deal for the league and for the team that is able to pair them together.

6. SamFisher

Nobody actually believes this - he is a class below Rose and Paul and the numbers bear this out. At best he can make a viable claim for the bronze medal.

7. jopatmc

That's your opinion and that puts him in the top 1-4 doesn't it?

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Paul and Rose can't post up.

9. SamFisher

No it puts him in the bottom 3-30.

And it's not just my opinion. Why do you think he usually finishes behind them in all-NBA voting?

10. jopatmc

Name 4 point guards better than him, Sam.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Well we all know Rubio is CLEARLY better.

12. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Classic of example of over valueing our players due to emotional connection. You cant serious bro:confused:

13. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I agree 100%.....clutchfans at times talk as if they started watching basketball this season. Like I said before i'd be more than happy to offer Lowry and Kmart for DWill.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

A pointless debate

15. jopatmc

Hey....you are coming around nicely.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

We would see how happy you would be when Deron elected not to sign back with Houston

17. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Williams had back to back to back to back 19-10 seasons, Lowry doesn't even have 11 games that average what Williams did over 291 games the previous 4 seasons.

Better over 291 games I'm sorry, does not equal worse numbers through 11 games.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What are we gonna do with just DWill, we will be like the second coming of Utah Jazz

19. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Defensively there's no question, but Williams makes his teammates, you have to ignore the sub d-league team right now in Jersey, much better than Lowry can today. 50 win seasons and a trip to the conference finals, it will honestly take us getting a player better than Lowry for the Rockets to equal or better those results.

20. Damion Laverne

You can't be serious, CAN YOU?