1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marc Stein: Clippers Gauging Trade Value Of Paul George With Blazers, Rockets Possible Destinations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 20, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Mostly based on scouting/eye test. I have a very high level of belief in Ant becoming a superstar, higher than I do in Green. Fox, Mitchell are more debatable. You could argue they're already finished products and aren't quite good enough. Right at the borderline for those guys. Would depend on what the overall trade looked like, I guess.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh I think Ant is as one dimensional on offense as Green in terms of lacking playamking and the only main difference is Ant got on a team with vet talent. Ant is much stronger but Green from the eye test is quicker and more skilled(more creative handles, more crafty ways to finish that don't use athleticism such as using odd angles to finish at the rim)

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think Ant is already a much better defender and that will likely continue to be the case, even though I do think Green has more potential in that area than he's given credit for. Defense is pretty underrated in importance. That's how you can get a guy like Jimmy Butler leading his team to the Finals and being arguably a top 5 player in the NBA even though his offensive contributions don't look that spectacular on paper.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. The last 4 seasons in a row the fellow couldn't stay on the court and he's 33.
    We would be doing the Clippers a favor. Why? No thanks!

5. MystikArkitect

Jaesean Tate + Usman Garuba + 20

Git err dun Murray

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I never felt like Green had any kind of handle. Seemed like his only option was his first step.

7. fchowd0311

I mean relative to what? Elite pg handles like Curry, Kyrie or Harden? Ya..

But compared to the likes of 20 year old Booker, Beal, Lavine, Ant etc? Green clears all of them in terms of handle. The kid has a high time of possession with the ball per game as an off guard. To average less than 3 turnovers per game with the ball in his hands that much means he's at worst a competent ball handler.

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Yah, no, I think that stat might be misleading. Dribbling at the top of the key and not getting stripped doesn’t make you a good ball handler. I don’t recall him ever really using his handle to cross anyone over (there was one really nasty one that comes to mind, tho). I just remember him having to go baseline 9/10 because he couldn’t cross anyone over.

9. fchowd0311

Maybe you don't watch enough games?

10. cml750

cml750 Member

Any trade for George would be a dumb one. He is too old and can't stay on the court. There is no way I would trade any of the young talent or draft capital we currently have. Next season will be all about finally letting our young core and new draft pick start to learn and grow under a competent coaching staff.

11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Watched all 82. And all 82 the season before. I literally haven’t missed a game outside of the John Wall year where it just got too brutal the last couple weeks, in almost 20 years. friends don’t even invite me places when they know the tickets are playing. I’ve been at work functions and sat in the corner to watch games on my phone.

I have nothing worthwhile to brag about in my life except my devotion to watching Rockets basketball. Please don’t ever insult me like that again, :p

12. fchowd0311

I mean I don't make purpose built highlight comps of his handles but here is just his off the dribble threes. TO say he has no handle is absurd.

13. fchowd0311

Then I guess you and I have different defintions of "handle".

If I post examples of him using his handle to juke defenders you'll say it's only a few examples. If I show you stats to indicate poor ball handling then you'll say something as absurd as ball security not being indicative of handles.

Jalen Green has tunnel vision problems. The fact that he doesn't have more turnovers than assists like guys who actually have poor handles at Green's age like Jaylen Brown indicates his ball security. For someone with poor tunnel vision who handles the ball as much as he does, you would expect a near 1 or under 1 assist to turnover ratio.

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I just watched the first one and let me say I’m not doubting his talent of getting off shots, I’m arguing his handles are weak. He’s quick and has a knack for hitting tough shots. That doesn’t make his handles strong. That first one he didn’t get hardly any separation. It was fantastic (and easy) defense. Green is just capable of hitting those shots.

not arguing his shot making abilities. Arguing his ability to get better shots, particularly at the rim, by using his handle.

15. fchowd0311

His handles aren't weak. If you are going to dismiss claims after watching the first clip of like 30 examples then I don't know what to tell you.

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I define “handle” as dribbling ability. Not sure how else you would define it. Him not turning it over doesn’t mean he has good handles. It means he’s at least smart enough not to try too many stupid things he can’t do — like dribbling. Plenty of similar complaints in the last two years all over this forum. He doesn’t get past his man by crafty dribbles and when he dribbled through any kind of traffic it’s often a turnover.

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I disagree. The eye test is enough to know this is his biggest offensive weakness.

18. fchowd0311

Jalen Green has one of the highest "dribbles per possession" out of all shooting guards. That means he pounds the ball on the court more than the vast majority of NBA 2 guards right now and still isn't turnover prone. This isn't like some dude who barely dribbles the ball and doesn't turnover the ball over, Green actually pounds the ball a lot for a off guard. And doesn't turn the ball over much which means he is secure with his handle.

If his handle was weak with the amount of time he pounds the ball, NBA defenses would be pressing him all the time to make sure he coughs it up as much as possible but you aren't seeing that.

19. fchowd0311

His biggest offensive weakness is his tunnel vision not his handle.

His handle is fine and above that of the vast majority of two guards in the league.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Anyone who has watched Jalen the last 2 years knows handles are a big weakness in his game. It’s not even debatable. Jalen has enormous talent and does some things very well, but dribbling is not one of them, especially dribbling through traffic.