1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marc Spears: Dwight's knee is bone on bone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mario_v

mario_v Member

The reason this story isn't being covered nationally is because howard plays in houston, so no one really cares.

Much like when Tmac opted to have micro fracture surgery without consulting the rockets first, while he was being shopped around. Story was huge at the time, yet we didn't hear a thing from the national media.

If this were to happen in NY or LA, it would be a much bigger deal.

2. okeezie

okeezie Member

Lol..I told all of you guys what was going on. Glad at least a few of you decided to listen. NBA players are not medical professionals so to take their comments at face value is useless. Based on how Dwight described what was going and what he had pain with, how his rehab was progressing, and what they allowed him to do on court I knew what he had. I am a sports medicine physical therapist and I deal with this every day. Jadeveon Clowney has the dreaded issue we worry about. Not Dwight.

3. okeezie

okeezie Member

I described what exactly was going on with the knee and what he was trying to explain. If you go back and read my post then it will make more sense to you. I'm almost certain 90% of NBA players 5 or more years into their career have some semblance of this issue. Its very normal and expected for a basketball player who plays a lot of minutes. Nothing to be alarmed about at this time anymore than any other player who plays a lot of minutes.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

btw, koby surpassed mj on the scoring list :grin:

5. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Thanks for bringing your expertise here. It is very useful.

May I ask about how much longer you think Howard has to be played as a high usage Pro NBA player at the highest levels?

I was suspecting severe arthritis myself as I have that problem now in my mid 50's.

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

7. ryl

ryl Member

Actually, the term chondromalacia is still used. We use it in operative reports to describe the grade of cartilage wear when a chondroplasty is performed. Chondromalacia patellae isn't used as much anymore and is now typically named anterior knee pain or patellofemoral syndrome. Either way, you're right and he probably has some deterioration of his articular cartilage. Probably present in many NBA players with significant minutes.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I hate to say it, but Howard does not look like a bone on bone player to me. Roy was a bone on bone player. And it showed. Every play. Has Howard ever even had his meniscus trimmed? I do not think so. I somehow have to believe that Howard was led down a very wrong path in the interview and misspoke badly. I give absolutely no credence to that article.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think that's the way a lot of us felt at the time. You don't simply go from never having knee problems to bone on bone. If it had been, the Rockets would have been handling him much differently.

It was just a poor phrasing on his part, and Marc Stein was more than happy to run with it.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Thank you. I have not been following this thread.

11. okeezie

okeezie Member

So obviously you are medical so I will be specific..lol.what you wrote is what I meant and said earlier when somebody asked what we call it. The term Chondromalacia means softening of cartilage and is used that way as you say. The common dx of Chondromalacia patella is not used as we use Patellofemoral Syndrome as you stated and I posted previously when asked this question. The ICD 9 code still reads Chondromalacia patella but when the dx is handwritten Patellofemoral syndrome is what is used.

12. okeezie

okeezie Member

He isn't. He doesn't understand the nuances of the knee and what he said and I don't expect him to. He has the normal wear and tear of an NBA player and they need maintenance on their knees like all baseball pitchers need on their throwing shoulder. Ever so often they have to rest and rehab and that is what he did.

13. okeezie

okeezie Member

It depends on what you consider high usage. From what I gather LeBron is in a similar boat. He sat out last week with "knee pain" and played the next night. LeBron has been very vocal about getting his minutes down and is one of the reasons he went back to Cleveland. Dirk, Duncan, Ginobili, Wade are all guys who have rest days related to the knee. Some of those are similar to what Dwight has but most of those guys have had at least one knee surgery. I'm willing to bet they have varying degrees of Patellofemoral syndrome along with knee joint cartilage wear. When Dwight gets to his mid 30s he will need to managed like them for good. I think he is ok for now as this is the first I've seen of him being hobbled with it and the Rockets training staff was all over it plus he had PRP. I would keep Dwight around 32-34 minutes during the regular season regardless because he is a big man, not a guard so his minutes should be less.

1 person likes this.
  14. #TheBeard

#TheBeard Member

Thanks man for your input, I know this isn't related to the Rockets but what do you think of Jadevoen's chance to play in the NFL again and at what level(%) would he be??

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i am pretty sure the national media was the one who leaked the story before the Rockets knew (stephen a smith that is)

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I am confident saying that Howard has been through at least one MRI in the last few weeks. The Rockets know exactly the condition of Howard's knees. But it is impossible to exactly predict how long recovery will take.

17. okeezie

okeezie Member

I think Clowney will be on the field at some point next year. His % level depends on a few factors including the size of the articular cartilage lesion, how much weight bearing directly goes through the particular region of damage based on its location in the knee, how compliant he is during the protection phase of rehab allowing the new cartilage to settle in, and how hard he works once he is cleared to begin the strength/return to sport phases of rehab. One positive sign is they didn't perform the microfracture right away which means the lesion wasn't a catastrophe. Hope this helps.

18. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Just reported on ESPN that this is what Bogut has.

19. okeezie

okeezie Member

20. okeezie

okeezie Member