1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marc Gasol

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by warmshizzle, Jan 31, 2011.

?

Is Marc Gasol worth a 12Mil/Year Contract?

1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Yes I want him but for something around 8-10 Mil

98 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Hes a RFA next year, and we've only got a 32Mil payroll next year, before/if we resign Battier, Brooks and Yao.

If we throw something like 12 Mil front loaded contract at him, I dont think Memphis will be able/willing to match the offer.

Hes a physical defender with true 7Ft size whos a jack of all trades on offense.
    He'd solve our rebounding and defense problems and would be about as good as emeka okafor in offensive production. Given more touches, he might become a legit 2nd or 3rd option defensively, but that wouldnt be the main focus of signing him anyway, just a plus.

So, do we throw a basket full of cash at him for his services, or no?

2. mrjuandiego1988

firsties!!!!

they would sign him and let z-bo go! :( but then again this is the grizz anything stupid can happen!

3. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

*legit 2nd or 3rd option offensively

4. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

huh sorry i have no idea how i posted this twice...

5. ThaShark316_28

For a second I thought something was up since it was 2 threads about M. Gasol..."holy **** a rumor!"

1 person likes this.
  6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Why re-sign Yao if you sign Gasol? Personally, I watch alot of grizzlies games and he played better last yr. Last yr he came to camp in better shape with something to prove. This year he seem flatlined. On a side note, the team is playing better.

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Grizzlies will match all offers. Gasol is unobtainable, via trade or free agency. They are shopping Mayo because they are determined to be able to afford to keep Gasol.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Memphis hopes to unload Randolph and Mayo and resign Gasol. They aren't going to just toss him our way.

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

unfortunately jerry west is not their gm any more otherwise anything can happen. :grin:

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He's going to be a RFA, which means Memphis will most likely match whatever offer he gets unless the offer is just too high. In that case they should be able to work out a S&T under the new CBA to get something back in return.

If you want Gasol, you better be willing to shell out a contract near max dollars.

11. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Max dollars? Please... :rolleyes:

He's declined quite a bit since last season. You don't give declining players max contracts.

Though he does seems to be a nice rim protector, which we really really need, I don't think he's your answer for rebounding. He's grabbing just over 7 a game this season. Chuck Hayes averages more per minute and he's darn close to that level in only 2/3 the time on the court. Maybe he'd rebound better on our team or in the future, but right now, he isn't giving much of an effort.

Now, that said, I think I'd like him on this team. When I first saw the poll about offering him $12 million a year, I knew that was too much. But the OP's post was more clear, that the idea is to offer him a front-loaded contract starting at $12 million to make it more difficult for the Grizzlies to match.

That would be $12/11.4/10.83/10.29/9.77 million each year for 5 years, coming out to an average of $10.86 million a year. That I would do.

I'm not sure how successful that tactic would be, but I think I'd take the chance and see what it gets us.

12. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Personally I'm not too sure if they will if the Rockets overpay. $12 million is a bit much but absolutely worth it, quality centers are very tough to come by these days.

13. Prince

Prince Member

if he's agile as Pau, yes.

14. rju1986

rju1986 Member

Would love to acquire him (it would def make for nice match ups with the Lakers*) but I wouldn't break the bank.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Do you follow the Grizz closely, leeb? If so, what's going on with him? You seem to have some insight with Thabeet's situation. Why's Gasol seemingly regressing (in a contract year, no less)?

16. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I personally would rather get Tyson Chandler for how ever much is required. See what he has done for Dallas, anchored the Defense which is exactly what the Rockets need.

Not only that, but he is shooting well, and provides some athleticism. Tell me of a better center that is even slightly available?

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Don't care what it costs? Really? Better think about that.

He's coming off a $12.6M contract, the Mavs have his Bird Rights, and Cuban doesn't mind spending money.

The latter comment means (if there is an MLE in the next CBA), you won't be getting Chandler for chump change.

If Cuban will pay $10M+ (and he will)...what are you putting on the table to entice Cuban/DAL to send Chandler to the Rockets? (And please...spare us the Hill + Bud + Battier re-signed plus picks...they'd laugh at you).

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think Marc replaces Pau in a couple years on the Lakers.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Gasol could be a good piece to the puzzle , I just cant see offering him enough money that Memphis wouldnt match it. Over paying for players is not good business. Just look at how often teams are trying to unload these mistakes.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

If you can snag a Wallace/Iggy or Granger at the deadline and Gasol in the off season you would have a hell of a team.