1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mapping the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by username1, Aug 8, 2007.

1. username1

username1 Member

Interesting article from tziller at Ball Hype about NBA teams with analysis on the Rockets...

http://ballhype.com/story/mapping_the_nba_4/

tziller posted 1 day ago from [​IMG]
    If you're like me, analysis is useless without pictures. And while this visual exercise won't be nearly as... stimulating as, say, Sports By Brooks, it's sure to open your mind like an evening with The Birdman.

With some inspiration from the popular 'Aerials' feature from The Mid-Majority - a charming slice of NCAA analytical artistry - we present the first in a series devoted to Mapping the NBA. (Cue the gong.)

The Map of Goodness & Badness
    [​IMG]

This map is fairly straight-forward: green is good, red is bad, white is indeterminate. The further to the right, the better a team's offense. (Thus, lefthood is bad offense.) The closer to the top, the better the defense; the closer to the bottom, the worse the defense. A team at or near the crux of the axes (such as New Jersey) is completely average.

This map won't blow your mind if you paid any attention this season. San Antonio, Dallas and Phoenix? Yeah, those guys were good. Atlanta, Boston? Bad. In that sense, the map is self-explanatory.

We use offensive and defensive efficiency here, which is points per 100 possessions. This accounts for pace differences among the teams. Ken Pomeroy and Kevin Pelton explain it more elegantly than I could, so see those links. Quick example, though: Golden State scored 106.5 points per game last season, suggesting it was one of the best offenses in the league. Not so: Golden State used a lot more possessions to get those points, and offensive efficiency -- a pace-independent measure -- reveals the Warriors offense was just a bit better than average. Antipodally, Dallas didn't boast a particularly high points per game average, but their offensive efficiency was marvelous -- the second-best in the league.

Does balance matter? Yes, to a degree. Champions do typically come from that green quadrant, but it is not a hard rule. Two champions this decade have fallen elsewhere: Detroit 2004 would've sat in Chicago's proximity if placed on this map, and Los Angeles 2001 would have been about a square to the right of Utah. Detroit's offense and L.A.'s defense were below average. But note Detroit's defense and L.A.'s offense were very, very good... which should give hope to unbalanced modern teams like Phoenix and Chicago.

Overwhelmingly, this map says to me lots of teams have a real chance next season. Houston's Rick Adelman hiring should shift its place rightward, while the loss of little personnel shouldn't damage its extraordinary defense too much. Utah and Toronto were very good and are still rising; Denver and Golden State could be considered 'right there'; Cleveland and Chicago have the offensive weapons to slip into the green.

But you don't need a graph to show you the Hawks suck. You might, however, need one to show you Mike Woodson is the scourge of the Earth.

The Map of Awesome Speed & Apocalyptic Boredom
    [​IMG]

This map pits offensive efficiency against pace. Like before, good offenses to the right and bad ones to the left. Faster-paced offenses, or teams who use more possessions per game than average, go up high and slowpokes slide low. Thus, Golden State's on meth and Detroit's got gum stuck to its shoe.

Pace isn't a value statement... for analysts. For fans? Heck yes it is. While allegiance and superstars may dictate much of our viewing pattern, I don't think it's crazy to say most of us enjoy streaking offensive displays in lieu of plodding, pedant affairs. (If you're a unique snowflake, ignore my assumptions.) So in this map, we've put value to pace: fast = fun; slow = boring. Teams in the top-right quadrant play fun basketball, teams in the lower-left are dullards who should be subjected to military tribunals.

In light of this, I recommend medals be given to Tony Barone and Eric Musselman. Both sacrificed careers to put a speedy system in play. Bad offense is bad enough without molasses added to the recipe. Also, we should probably thank Don Nelson for continuing to be a presence in our lives despite his advanced age. And Eddie Jordan is certainly underrated as showmanship goes. But Mike Woodson? Nate McMillan? Brian Hill? Maurice Cheeks? Pat Riley? Byron Scott? Damn you all, damn you all straight to hell. At least make your crappy offenses somewhat fun to watch.

Histrionics aside, Golden State and Denver really jump out at me on this map. Phoenix is fast, right? Look how much faster Golden State and Denver were. I love Don Nelson, I really do.

Now we delve further into value statements based solely on personal taste.

The Map of Thugs & Hummingbirds
    [​IMG]

Here, we introduce foul rate to the picture. Our x-axis now represents pace and our y-axis represents rate at which fouls are given, as in Utah fouls a lot and San Antonio does not...

Wait, San Antonio doesn't foul? Nope -- lowest foul-rate in the league. This, coupled with its non-evil placement in the above cartography, redeems Gregg Popovich's system. They may work slow, the Spurs, but their offense is efficient and they don't foul a lot. In other words, it could be worse. A lot worse.

We could be subjected to the unwatchable Orlando Magic. Terrible offense, slow offense, foul a lot on defense. Three ingredients for ADHD suicides. Blame ironhands Dwight Howard and noodly-armed Darko Milicic, or keep blaming Brian Hill (see if I care). Something's got be done, and I imagine Rashard Lewis is that something: He doesn't care enough about defense to bother fouling, and he's never been one to let the shot clock wind down before making his move. Sleep well tonight Florida, fun is on its way. But we have got to be worried about Portland. You take a slow, plodding, hamhanded team... and add Greg Oden? There's no reason for this team to change. If they win a title, foresaken 'right way' ball will be the victor. There is little, maybe no incentive to change. Lord help us. It's me, Margaret Martell.

Denver Golden State, of course, sticks out: wings of a butterfly, body of a rhinoceros. The Nuggets Warriors really are an enigma -- they don't fit the Phoenix style to a tee; it's almost like they exist as the lovechild between Steve Nash's Mavericks and Avery Johnson's Mavericks, speedy with roughneck sensibilities. Like if Paul Westhead were born in Queens. Whatever the case, it's an interesting team to study.

There's one more way to slice into the speedsters' psyche, though.

The Map of Riflemen & Roughnecks
    [​IMG]

This graph discriminates among the offenses, separating those who depend on the perimeter from those who camp the paint. The x-axis discerns foul-drawing rate, or what percentage of offensive possessions ends in foul shots. The y-axis investigates dependency on three-pointers in field goal attempts (which the actual equation being 3pa/fga). Teams in the upper-left quadrant shoot a good deal of threes and don't draw fouls, thus living on the perimeter when compared to their contemporaries in the lower-right, who shoot more twos than threes and draw more fouls than average.

The Denver mystique comes into play here. Zippy brethern Phoenix and Golden State sit high among the riflemen; Denver is regulated just north of the brass-knucklers. We've already learned the Nuggets weren't afraid to rough some folks up, which would theoretically transfer to the offensive side (as it does); the lack of reliance on threes is more stunning. Considering the team doesn't foul much, it's surprising to see them draw so many -- especially existing as a very fast team. Fast teams shoot fast, which typically means pulling up for the first decent opportunity. Denver's favorite opportunity is sliding into the lane, though. That means more fouls and less threes. As Carmelo Anthony is without question the Don on offense, and as Melo has an incredible midrange post game, it shouldn't be such a leap of reason. But laid out in such stark contrast with the Gunners Anonymous we had previously lumped Denver with, it's a jolt. The Nuggets are not who we thought they were.

Houston's asynchronous presence with the Gunners deserves a look, too. The reliance on threes can be explained by the pair of Rocket point guards: Luther Head and Rafer Alston each take half their shots from long-range. (Shane Battier has a similar disposition.) And Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady are the only two Rockets to draw fouls, so there you go: Houston is full of germaphobic snipers, despite being defensive stalwarts and slowpokes.
    Hope these maps helped give you a different look at the league. If so, click that shiny hype button up top. Many thanks to basketball-reference.com for the statistics and Jason Gurney for the image assistance.

2. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

cool look, we will be much different this year tho

3. jebustheomlet

jebustheomlet Member

hey this is really cool man, great job on such a long analysis...maybe keep doing these at intermitent points in the season, to see what happens

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

he didn't write it, from what I can tell.
    verrrrry cool though, very cool. hopefully we'll be better on offense and maintain most of our defensive abilities.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Fun read. Obviously, it's clear that you need to be both great at offense and defense to be a serious contender. Although Suns seems to be an aberration due to their unbelievably awesome offense.

6. rua2006

rua2006 Member

Nice post.

I like how Utah is ridiculous with fouling. Tsk tsk.

7. kikimama

kikimama Member

I guess phnx has slowed down a bit as I didn't think GSW or NUGs were faster paced than them. The interesting thing is that there is not a real "best style" for each of the categories. There are successful teams on either side of each graph to show that different styles work.

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Why does San Antonio draw the most fouls, yet commit the least?

9. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Summed up nicely 'bout the ugly Gundy ball.

10. chonox

chonox Member

bcuz they're the champs

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

According to the charts, the Rockets were not far below average in terms of pace, and was slightly above average in offensive efficiency. Their offense was neither bad nor plodding. Consider the fact that their defense is good enough to force opposing team consume more of their clock than a bad defensive team does, then I surmise the pace of the team on offense is probably no less than average.

They shoot a lot fo 3s and tend not to draw fouls. Not a suprise, it's the strategy to spread the floor and let Yao and TMac go to work. The only penetrators on the team are TMac and Rafer, and Rafer doesn't draw fould on his drives. The rest of the guys are either shooters (Battier, Head, even Juwan), offensive rebounders who don't score (Mutombo, Hayes) or terrible human beings who b**** a lot about entitlement to minutes (Spanoulis).

12. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Maybe because Manu flops constantly?

13. Man

Man Contributing Member

interesting and fun to look at.
    i'm definitely excited about the new team and new season!

14. Barkley

Barkley Member

We all should be very excited ...

15. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Tim Donaghy. ;)

16. Mad Max

Mad Max Member

I hope against hope that Scola isn't a flopper.. I absolutely hate floppers!

17. AXG

AXG Member

Not when they're on your team. ;)

18. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

They don't draw the most fouls, they are below average.

19. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

I'd like to rate this 7 star if I could.

20. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

Let other teams fans crying...