1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I never said it did. Just that the linked fansite wasn't an authority on the Magic's thinking.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

True, they are like CF and other Rockets sites, basing their opinions on their deeper understanding of their respective teams organization.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

young? He just completed his 5th season and hasn't averaged greater than 13 points
    per game. And compared to Mobley.....Jarrett Allen already weighs 240 pounds.
    C Wood just finished his 5th season and finally produced. Went from 13 pts a game
    in 19/20 to 21 pts per game in 20/21.

Mobley is 5 years away from being productive in the NBA.....but we have his college
    years to keep looking back at. At least we would have that.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Will for sure bust with that kind of hype.

5. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

5 yrs away from being productive in the NBA, eh? He won't be PRIME for 7 years or so....and I know big men take awhile (although he's a different breed)....But, as far as being productive...That should happen in a myriad of ways from day 1 and constantly be evolving.

Ahh, so we differ on this dude.....It's all good.

D-rock and Milos like this.
  6. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He's 23 year old

That's young lol

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You hope!! If you consider 13 to 16 points productive in those 4-5 yrs? Yes

I call that a bust at #2 pick in the draft. I can get that from #15 or so.....around where T Jones
    was drafted.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

As you know, my pick is based on BPA. I think Green comes closer to his peak comp than Mobley does.

That, imo, is the only calculus to be made.

In a peak scenario, whomever they pick turns out to their best case scenario and the TEAM is still 5 years away. Plenty of time to fill in bigs.

Almost universally over the last multiple decades, every championship team has had great outside in players and great bigs, either inside only, inside-out, or outside-in, but BIG.

At this point im not drafting for position in any way, just player i think most likely to become a legit #1 star that impacts winning proportionally.

9. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Jeez, take it easy. We got KPJ for free from the same team (separate transactions), so you win, you lose.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

They forgot "Jesus".

Mobley will walk on water, feed everyone stranded in the TC by a flood with 4 loaves and 5 fish, heal the lepers, uh, tell a teammate during an altercation to let the opponent slap the s*** out of first one cheek and then the other.........and give obeisance to our new famous fan, the courtside Mel Gibson, taking notes for "The Passion of the Rockets".

#1931 ROXTXIA, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Comparing JA and Wood to Mobley is a lazy take.

All 3 players have very different playing styles and strengths.

JA is a roller/lob threat and rim protector. Cannot defend 1-5, plays best closest to rim on both sides of ball. And NO guard skills at all.

Wood is much more advanced offensively than either JA or even Mobley but not nearly the rim protector as either or as efficient a perimeter defender as Mobley.

Mobley has greater BBIQ, and his all around defense allows him to make an impact defensively immediately.

Like MANY scouts have already opined.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Vecenie is not prone to hyperbole but Mobley is such a unique prospect, he is an amalgamation of different players.

Not necessarily BETTER than all those players.

There is a distinction.

14. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

The Rockets making a big mistake passing on him. I know we will regret it.

D-rock likes this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It's about being underweight. Under 220 pounds. Allen didn't come into
    the league under 220 but has taken a while to develop.

Would you rather I compare Mobley to Anthony Davis?
    Anthony Davis played 29 minutes his rookie year at 13 points per game.
    Basketball-Reference.com lists AD as a PF until his fourth season....then
    slip in center. Means to me he was probably too lite to play center initially; which i
    s what I've been saying about Mobley. We know AD does not like playing center.

If your plan is to play C Wood at center and Mobley at PF......that's not going to work.
    I keep saying it; but you don't want to hear it.
    Mobley will struggle to get us 13 points while diminishing Woods production
    as he has to wrangle with big players.

Yule C

Or maybe Stone bypasses your must have unicorn coming out of college
    by obtaining an already made skinny unicorn.....Brandon Ingram.

#1935 ApacheWarrior, Jul 26, 2021
    mike2k132, Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

This just is not true at all. Like it is just actual false information. USC got man handled in the elite 8 and lost by 19 points, they never even made it to the final four to have a shot at making the final, I am not sure what alternate universe Evan Mobley nearly led them to the Final? Even if this did happen, as discussed on here the NCAA tournament should only be a very tiny influencer in who you choose.

If it mattered that much Johnny Juzang would be a top 3 pick, instead he realized he is not ready and not even entering this years draft. Out of every player in the tournament, Juzang looked like he by far had the biggest individual impact, we got to see what happened when he stepped out for 8 minutes due to injury and what happened when he returned, all of that is nearly meaningless. Juzang dropped 28 (out of his teams total 51 points lol, 55% of the teams points) in the elite 8 victory, led all scorers, dropped 29 in the final four, and HE was the one who lost by an insane overtime buzzer beater from Suggs preventing them from going to the finals.

Also, Dream has never done a thing for a big man. Dream's moves have never been transferable, except to one guy. That one guy being Kobe Bryant, who Jalen Green is being compared to. Every summer Dream would work with one NBA star. I believe he worked with Carmelo, Kobe, Lebron, and Dwight. The only guy who's game noticeably became better was Kobe, his back to the basket and post game had Dream's fingerprints all over it and it was noticeable. You draft Baby Mamba, not the next Mo Bamba.

17. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

This guy could have spent 5 minutes researching these players before posting this lol, not realizing how young BI is and thinking that giving up Wood is too much. If you can make a BI trade with Christian Wood and salary fillers, you do it immediately. BI is younger and will likely be able to stay on the court more than Christian Wood. BI fell into a Lakers organization that did not spend time developing any of their players correctly, literally everyone left and made a name for themselves (Randle with the MIP, Clarkson as 6th man, DLo earning a max but then having injury issues, Lonzo becoming better at everything, and BI has improved a ton and is only 23 years old) There is so much upside to BI, he is capable of being the best player on a championship team if developed in the right environment. I am guilty of going to several Lakers/Rockets games at staples with seats within an ear shot of BI and being his biggest critic at that time, he has improved tremendously. Saying Christian Wood is giving up too much is absurd.

#1937 BallSoHarden, Jul 26, 2021
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

After 4 NBA seasons, Ingram is still 190 lbs at age 23.

Did you even watch the vid?

The vid actually doesn't support your stance at all.

At 6'8 Ingram is not a 5 and will never be a 5, even if he miraculously gains enough to get to 220 in a season or two.

Wood will have to remain at the 5 which you absolutely detest and continue to keep fighting even though Wood averaged 20/10 at that spot.

Mobley is taller (7'0 vs. 6'8), heavier (215 vs. 190) and longer (7'5 vs. 7'3 wingspan).

Mobley is the better defender (Ingram has never averaged even 1 block per game) AND rebounder.

Its not even close.

Not to mention Mobley has the potential to grow into the 5.

Advanced stats also favor Mobley over Ingram.

And Ingram is a selfish A-Hole vs. Mobley who is consummate team player.

Very poor take.

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Many of these thin players coming out of college don't gain weight. That's the
    point.
    Nerlens has gained about 11 pounds in 7 years.
    Brandon Ingram is still paper thin.
    Claxton has gained about 1 pound after two years in the league.

And my point is that unicorns are running all over the place....not just your
    inexperienced Evan Mobley.

AD struggled to score 13 points a game and he was much more advanced
    than your precious Evan Mobley is now.

People think I'm crazy for comparing Green to MJ / Kobe
    I think people are crazy for comparing Mobley to AD

What we end up with is an old fashion stalemate. To be
    determined in time. I stake my name to the "Green Machine"
    and you to the "Mobley Express"

Good luck to you, and thank you for your service

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Why are you being so hostile?

Just because I'm not taking your opinions as fact?

Scouts have a completely different take on Mobley than you do.

The scouting analyses plus the advanced stats project more upside, versatility and immediate impact than you do.

Unicorn is obviously a dirty word to you, but it really does not mean what you think it means.

And if you believe that AD or Giannis should NOT have been picked because they took longer to develop then I'm not sure if we can continue this discussion because I completely disagree.