1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

And Bimathug echoed my thoughts regarding Mobley (went so far to mention the Giannis before and after gif that was posted) and the G League competition. Personally I'm 60/40 for Green at #2.

Deckard likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Ima sell that boy as short as his shorts

Yall keep selling him as tall as a giraffe yall lying

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

So you saying Giannis was not 196 lbs when he was drafted?

You really refuting this fact?

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

How do you think Mobley compares to John Collins ?

That's more what I see from him than Giannis or KD, even if he is a bit taller - He's not nearly as good a shooter currently.

D-rock likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Collins is not nearly as skilled a ball handler, passer or defender (rim protector OR perimeter defender). Collins not just shorter in height, his wingspan is under 7 feet.

Collins better 3ball shooter.

Not seeing the resemblance in play or size.

#1845 D-rock, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Aside from KD or Giannis , who's your comparison ?

D-rock likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I really believe Mobley is unique.

Perhaps a 7 foot Jeff Green on offense is his floor.

Edit: Maybe a 7 foot ambidextrous Kawhi on defense?

#1847 D-rock, Jul 25, 2021
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's a weird comp considering Mobley's biggest talent is supposed to be D

I think Bouche is a decent modern comp, particularly if you think Mobley will develop his shot

D-rock likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yeah, I was thinking about offense.

But you're absolutely correct, Mobley is already a better defender - rim protector AND perimeter defender - than Uncle Jeff.

Mobley is just really different from any other player.

AD like on defense, Giannis like on offense - especially in transition, KD like in body type and play speed.

But not quite like any of them.

Certainly not as dynamic as either of them, especially in their respective areas of strengths.

AD is better defender, Giannis is more violent and physical - much better rebounder, KD is one of the greatest scorers in NBA.

Compared to the 3 above - Mobley is likely 2nd best rim protector, 2nd best perimeter defender, 2nd best 3ball shooter, 2nd best ball handler BUT BEST PASSER.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah I’m gonna pass on comparing him to any of KD/Giannis/AD, saying he’s gonna be a better defender interior or perimeter compared to either AD/Giannis is a really really strong statement

As of right now, I’m gonna comp him to Bouche with a less developed shot, or JJ Jr after a 2 month water fast... and a less developed shot

At 20, with his shot being developable, and him being able to put on muscle, those are still exciting comps in my mind.

11. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Kevin Garnett looks like the instigator here.

Am not sure who would be correct choice for the Rockets to select at #2.

But make no mistake. The two finalists team show the value of the big man. Performances of Giannis Atentoukoumpo, DeAndre Ayton, and Robin Lopez clearly prove the need for quality big men.

#1851 dfbreyes, Jul 25, 2021
    D-rock, saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

I think this year was an anomaly where Bucks won using their bigs. Particularly with Lopez. He was not going to be playable against a fully healthy Nets or even with one of their stars down. He wouldn’t be playable against a healthy Clippers team either. They even got lucky Trae went down. Of course that doesn’t take away the need for a quality big but a player that turns into Giannis is like winning the lottery. The blueprint to beat the Bucks is to out score them with pure shooting talent and take advantage of mismatches against a player like Lopez. If we were to solely focus on beating the Bucks I would draft a player like Green and then get a serviceable defensive big to slow Giannis in the paint. Just my take.

13. dmoneybangbang

I'm refuting the comparison. Giannis and Mobley don't have the same body no matter how much you want to shoehorn player comparisons in.

roslolian likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Scottie Barnes is the one here with similar body type to Giannis and KD, not Mobley.

To compare to KD, he has to shoot better than 30% from 3 first.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. daytripper

daytripper Member

Honestly Mobley could go down the Giannis or Jaren Jackson Jr route here. I was a huge JJJ proponent in that '18 draft but to this point he has been mostly injured and unable to add muscle to his frame. Giannis was such an anomoly it would be asking way too much to expect Mobley to reshape his body in the same way tbh.

To me both Green and Mobley are such great prospects. I probably lean Green for 2 reasons. I just think he's more likely to reach his potential. Also it's a guard league at the moment despite Giannis and Lebron winning the past 2 seasons. Giannis is such a freak I don't see Mobley replicating it. He has alot of skill but I do worry that other bigs are going to abuse him unless/until he adds muscle esp at his base.

roslolian and D-rock like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree, hard to pidgeon hole Mobley.

He is unique.

17. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

I saw this on ESPN today but is this true below? I thought I remembered seeing a pic of him in Cavs gear in a private workout for them, seems bizarre he wouldnt want to workout for the team with the second pick

Green has a strong desire to be the No. 1 pick, sources say, hosting the Pistons for a workout in Southern California and then traveling to Detroit for a follow-up visit. He'd be happy to go second, though, if that doesn't materialize, and most NBA teams expect that to be the case -- with some going as far as to describe that as being close to a lock. It doesn't help that the Rockets have been stonewalled in their attempts to bring in Evan Mobley and Jalen Suggs for private workouts. Houston is casting a wide net in an attempt to capture as much player data for future transactions as possible, something that has been met with a mixed reaction in the industry.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...-draft-top-players-jockeying-lottery-position

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Scottie Barnes is so much bigger than either Giannis or KD when they came out, and will get bigger still.

Not seeing the KD comp at all. Especially skillwise.

vator likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm not comparing bodies, YOU are the body pervert ... uh, expert, not me.

I'm comparing reasonable weight gains due to NBA strength program, natural maturation, diet.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If Mobley and Suggs think they're too good to work out for the Rockets, then tell them to f off!!