1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Sadly he will always be out of position then. At the NBA level he won't have a real advantage at 4 with his speed. Most 4 aee basically pj tucker now. SF playing pf.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

First of all I doubt Cleveland would do that. Second, I outlined it in another thread but I think that it would be terrible optics to trade the one player who willingly signed up to play for the new era Rockets after just one season. We have a lot of rep to rebuild and doing that would just push us back even further. For that reason I'm strongly against trading Wood.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I disagree.

There is a reason why experts are comparing him to wings.

Mobley moves with the fluidity and speed of a wing.

He is just 7 feet tall.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I’ll just leave this here…nbadraft.com scouting profile for Kevin Durant:

Weaknesses: Hasn’t been fully tested in terms of competition. Does he have the fire inside to maximize his abilities and develop a killer instinct? He has a laid back demeanor; will he continue to work hard after he starts cashing 7 figure checks? … Has all the potential to be a lock down defender, but doesn’t put the effort in on that side of the ball … Still needs to bulk up … May always be skinny and adding too much weight could slow his foot speed some … Adding weight will make him more aggressive inside, as he tends to shy away from contact and can be pushed around and affected when played physical … Ball handling could still use refinement, as he is a little too high in his dribble … Shows flashes of great passing but is inconsistent … Should block more shots with his length and athleticism … Can improve upon the nuances of the game, moving without the ball, understanding where to be in help defense situations, giving equal effort on both ends of the floor etc.

YES, I’M AWARE KD WAS AN ELITE SHOOTER…NOT THE COMPARISON I AM MAKING (BODY TYPE & PERCEIVED MENTALITY)

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley is a cerebral player but that doesnt mean he lacks agression, he just chooses not to glory in it.

Guess who has a very similar attitude and was questioned about it when he was drafted?

Great size and strength for the power forward or center position. Adequate mobility and explosiveness, but isn't as elite an athlete as he is a player. Dominates the game from low to high post. Has all kinds of offensive skills to match his high basketball IQ.

Very coachable and hard working. Stoic by nature. Will play with passion, but usually won't show it.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Tim-Duncan-2292/

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The Rockets better draft this Durant/Duncan clone yo

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

No one is saying he is either player.

But a stoic personality does not mean a player does not love the game, or more importantly, cannot be elite at it.

The narrative that a self professed alpha is the better player because he is more emotional is irrational.

The better player is the better player.

8. DonatelloLimestone

But would kd be elite without his shooting and just body type? He could obviously still be effetive, but that puts him to that greatness and opens the entire court. The mentality was speciulation then which kd easily answered and it still is now and mobley could not. fact is kd blew the waters away n his aggression and mentality in college for one year, mobley did very, well, kd was historic as a scorer for them though.

But I agree, just having that length, athleticism, then the comfort as a playmaker, elite shot block timing is worth keeping an eye on and can see why people think he may have the highest ceiling. I'm still leaning green bc i've seen more of him aganst better competition. I need to see more of mobley, but he has all the tools to be elite but many can't put it together, but he should even then stil find a way to be effecctive if he has the motor. but i am one who believes the gleaugue prospects and experiments are goign to end up having faster archs than traditional prospects be it hs or college

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

....................... o_O

10. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

But you not thinking that through to what that would mean. He always has the weight n strength of a wing lol. So how doesn't he bang with center, who I may add are the best they have been since the 90's in my opinion. He has a kd body. Kd was saved by his elite shooting and handles for a guy that tall.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley will start off as 3-4 until he gains the strength.

If I was Silas, Mobley is starting 4 and small ball 5 for a season or three.

No Worries and Denovo like this.
  12. bmelo

bmelo Member

I hope you are joking with Tim comparsions

DasouthDakota and Dobbizzle like this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Yeah more ridiculousness. Duncan could rebound and score in the post...

DasouthDakota likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you had any reading comprehension you would have understood that the comparison was about personality/attitude.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

On offense, Mobley leaned on his height, quick jump and length, finishing 69.3 percent of his attempts around the basket, mostly as a roll man, dunker's-spot weapon and putback threat. But his ball skills and shooting touch away from the basket expanded imaginations and pointed to upside.

Mobley recorded 72 spot-up possessions, a relatively high amount for a center. On those possessions, he shot 43.5 percent on catch-and-shoot attempts, 8-of-14 on dribble jumpers and 10-of-16 on drives (1.01 PPP). That triple-threat ability to shoot, pull up or drive aligns with a wing's.

Overall, Mobley shot 14-of-29 off the dribble and 12-of-22 on runners, a valuable shot that's rare for a big to have when entering the draft.

Mobley's defense is another obvious selling point, with the 19-year-old averaging three blocks per game. Per KemPom.com, USC ranks No. 5 in the nation in defensive efficiency, and Mobley was clearly the driving force behind the team's improvement (No. 18 last year).

Aside from having tremendous length and reaction time in rim protection, he shows outstanding patience and feel for the whistle. He averaged just 1.7 fouls in 33.8 minutes per game. That's 2.1 fouls per 40 minutes, significantly lower than Jackson's 5.9 with Michigan State or Onyeka Okongwu's 3.5 last year for USC.

And then there is Mobley's switchability and movement around the perimeter, where he demonstrates standout lateral agility when sliding his feet and quickness when getting out on shooters.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....n-mobley-on-par-with-cade-cunningham.amp.html

Plowman likes this.
  16. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

17. bmelo

bmelo Member

You cant just take one thing from a spectrum of adjectives and compare it. Tim was stoic but he was alpha he run the spurs not the Pop. Mobley seems like a lazy kid

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

The only thing lazy is your analysis.

#1658 D-rock, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Replace Garland/Sexton with Porter/Wall/EGo/fill in the blank player.

Heck, Mobley-Wood DHO would be wild as well.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Leadership & team first.