1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These questions answer themselves.

2. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Also MUCH less skilled than the aforementioned.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

That's the scary part. Look how Silas and his mentor used the first Unicorn in Kristaps. Doesn't leave me feeling super confident that they know how to groom frontcourt talent.

Mobley sees the floor well and makes the proper pass on most plays. If he can develop a post game I could see him reaching his full potential, If guys are only focusing on what he can bring on the perimeter and keep looking for KD out of him then everyone will be let down including his most ardent supporters.

I'm in the belief that you either have post up moves or you don't. Its really hard to teach them later in a players career because so much of it is instinctual. Mobley will have to fill out and be able to fight for position before any of it since he has issues with physical players and holding his ground in the paint.

If he isn't able to accelerate his offense then will we basically have a 7 foot 3 and D guy? Well once his 3 point shot develops that is.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley has much more developed post moves than almost all the modern rolling 5's like Capela, Myles Turner, JA, DJ, Claxton, Hayes, Noel, Holmes, Bamba, etc.

jiggyfly and Verbal Christ like this.
  5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Again, I talked about getting offense specifically through alley oops. I'm not directly comparing Mobley's game to Kemp or Amare's, just athleticism as it relates to scoring on that type of play. I am not saying they are similar players at all.

If you want a direct comparison at C, Gobert had 67 alley oop dunks in the regular season this year. I'd bet that Mobley will come nowhere close to that amount in any season. And that's fine. Jokic is the MVP and had zero alley oops. Does pointing that out make me biased against Jokic? If I think Harden isn't as explosive as Kobe does that mean I'm criticizing Harden?

6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Using your #2 pick to draft Bam Adebayo without a Jimmy Butler in place, or an Ayton without a Devin Booker, or a Draymond Green without a Steph Curry, or a JJJ without a Ja Morant, would not be my POA, personally.

All resources should go into finding a #1 offensive option on a championship team, and I'd swing and swing and swing until that player is in place. I feel like anything else is a waste of time. Cade and Jalen have that potential, Mobley does not.

bballjunkie and Denovo like this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He's got some spin moves and pound dribbles and an awkward hook he uses. Remember - thats against accountants and engineers :p. I want to see him back down an NBA big for the first time and go to work. When his special move is defended, can he counter?

Him having the most developed post moves among this crop of bigs (who are all trying to play like guards) falls short of my expectations for an elite level big man in todays NBA. I like his passing from the post as a weapon for sure, but if all he is ever going to do is pound dribble, spin and hook then that will get figured out quick by his opponents.

edit: I think more Embiid, AD, KAT, or Jokic when I think about using overal #2 on a big, not the guys you listed.

D-rock likes this.
  8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm talking about their younger years. If you think he's that much bouncier than them in their early years I'll just disagree.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

No but you are taking outlier athlete like Kemp and comparing him to Mobley.

Mobley will have more lob opportunities than he did at USC.

KPjr will make sure of that.

Think of similar example, Wood had a ton more lobs before Harden was traded.

Wall was just not as good setting Wood up for easy buckets at rim.

Porter brought lobs back to the Rockets but Wood was already nicked soon after he was brought up from Vipers.

Mobley's rim finishes will go up, I can guarantee that whichever NBA team that Mobley plays for there will be much better distributors than he had at USC or HS.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Good thing he is still 19 and has high IQ so he can actually improve over time amirite?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Good luck developing any funk in Poindexter's offensive repertoire.

He can be a great player, but perhaps not in the way that you imagine. Hakeem's tutelage would be an absurd waste of time.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Absolutely! As can all of the guys in the draft pool. In 5 years we'll be b****ing about some obscure 2nd rounder or unidentified player who excels and we can roast each other some more for not being able to spot him!

steddinotayto and D-rock like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Mobley is not much less skilled than those guys he is not even less skilled.

That statement shows either ignorance or extreme bias.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Neither of those guys were bouncy in their younger years, they were never big lob threats.

Yes we will disagree.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I would like to take that bet.

I think he is every bit the lob threat that Gobert is.

#1495 jiggyfly, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is a terrible team building strategy, you can find that guy by trades or in FA no need to keep "swinging" to find that in the draft.

D-rock likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WOW!

You are going all in.

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

To be clear, you are saying that Evan Mobley is as skilled as LaMarcus Aldridge and Pau Gasol?

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

How do you know it would be an absurd waste of time? You seem pretty sure of yourself that Mobley would fail in the NBA based on your posts. Like, what weaknesses do you see that screams out "This guy is a complete bust!"? Cade isn't a guarantee prospect like a Tim Duncan or a LeBron James. Green could become the next Kobe or become the next Donte Green. The fact that Mobley is in the conversation with those two as being the top 3 picks in this draft and how no one worth reading is using the term "raw but full of potential" on him says a lot.

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

As a shooter, no.

But as a passer, ball handler and defender. Yes, maybe even more skilled in these areas!

jiggyfly likes this.