1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean that all of those guys are all-star pedigree and caliber players since some guys clearly deserve to be an all-star but miss the cut for a variety of reasons. Siakam was an all-star just this season, that season he was still one of the best bigs.

But even if you say he's not then that's what, 1 out of 20?

My only point is that bigs still play a crucial role in winning championships, if yours isn't good then your definitely going to find that out in the playoffs.

honestly I have no issue with people preferring Green to Mobley but just the idea that we shouldn't draft him because of some myth that we don't need a great a big man to win is just incorrect. If we don't get one in Mobley, maybe Wood can develop into that, but we're going to need a really good big man eventually.

saleem likes this.
  2. sydmill

sydmill Member

I wonder if in a week the tables will have turned again and everyone will be on Mobley (or Suggs') jock?

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

mid we’re looking at 3 pointers… he took 28 shots from areas he sucked at shooting at… and only 10 shots from areas he was good at shooting at. Which meant in the whole it was a below average 30%.

maybe he gets better at those bad spots? Maybe he just stops hacking from those bad spots? Maybe he gets worse front he good spots and just benefitted from small dampen size?

who knows….

there’s no real discernible pattern to this shot chart and nothing that makes me go wow amazing or oh **** horrible.

I bet the synergy statistics are more useful for him.

4. Salvy

Salvy Member

Really hoping I don't feel disappointed when they call out Mobley as the 2nd pick to Houston.

Dobbizzle and RasaqBoi like this.
  5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Right, well Draymond also won DPOY which literally makes him an elite player. Even though he doesn't fit some archetype from 40 years ago doesn't mean he wasn't their center, their big man or wasn't an elite player. Size is relative anyway, at 6'8" 240 he would be the biggest player on this Rockets roster by quite a bit. At what point do you call someone a "big"?

JayGoogle likes this.
  6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

We do need a really versatile big. But good to great perimeter players will make an average big look better. I don't think the myth is that we don't need a big man. I think people are saying the perimeter players is more important than big man.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If Mobley played like Draymond I'd be all for drafting him. That dude is mean, guards all 5 positions and us basically a PG. Draymond is a big that plays like a PG.

JayZ750 and saleem like this.
  8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Would you have rather OKC call his name

Salvy, Dobbizzle and Little Bit like this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And I strongly disagree and think history shows that. You need rebounds, you need rim protection. I think the positions are equal, that's why every championship team has had a really good all-star caliber big man on their team.

But you do know too that that is the projection for Mobley? That he can guard all 5 positions and passes extremely well and can even put the ball on the floor?

He might not become that, but really, a lot of reports flat out say he's a potential DPOY.

D-rock and Dankstronaut like this.
  10. a time to chill

I'm seeing so much hype for Jalen Green online and barely anything for Mobley. I'd be happy with either one but I can see there being a huge backlash immediately after the draft if Rockets pick Mobley.

I think the best possible outcome is Detroit getting involved in all this Jalen Green hype that they take him #1 and we get Cunningham.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

so why have 9 out of the last 10 finals mvps been a wing player? Only one being Dirk. Nba has made a shift the last few years as more threes are being shot the impact of a big man is less and less.

cheke64 likes this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Probably the same reason in the NFL the MVP is usually a QB...doesn't mean you don't need an Oline to win games and championships.

HTXSportsAddict, D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How do you figure that?

14. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

First reaction after getting #2 for me was to take Mobley. But the more I thought about it, best case scenario is he is Anthony Davis. AD is just not a #1 option for a title team. On the Pelicans he was able to win 1 playoff series in 7 years. The best big men in the game: Jokic (MVP), Embiid, Gobert never saw the conference finals. I think you have to swing for the fences with a high lottery pick. I don’t think 5 years from now we will be saying, “Man if we just drafted Mobley, those Finals MVP’s he won could have been here”. I get the feeling with Jalen Green that we would absolutely regret it.

I personally think Green has the best opportunity to become a face of the league compared to the other top 3 guys this year. You have to have a dominant guard to win at a high level. I mean none of us really know but I just think you go for highest upside at this point and if he is a bust, you live with it.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is a terrible philosophy.

This is not the last draft you will have and just like AD both Beal and Lavine can be looked at as not #1 options on a title team.

So why have those dominant guards not won at a high level?

D-rock and JayGoogle like this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Because it takes bigs years to get their conditioning right in the NBA. Giannis still doesn't have it. Remember Clints first few years? Couldn't make it through most games with heavy minutes until much later.

Those are big bodies.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

but we all know the qb is more important. So you agree the wing player is more important by that analogy,

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do you know that Mobley average 34 minutes a game?

That is more than any other big or most guards in this draft.

Mobley not only plays a lot of minutes but he does so without fouling out OR getting hurt.

Salvy and hakeem94 like this.
  19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Did not think about this, I keep thinking about Green and Mobley and who I don't want to face in the future as the team that passed them up. I sort of feel like Green will ball and be a high scorer but Mobley will make you pay for years to come as the anchor on his team. This makes me feel so much better, not having Mobley in OKC....

Roc Paint and Plowman like this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Mobley still have narrow shoulders and a high butt?