1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The argument isn't that though.

The argument isn't that Bosh is Duncan, Shaq, or Dirk. The argument is that you actually do need a good big man to win titles, the past 20 years show that at the very least your big has to be all-star level.

I'm arguing this idea that you can just throw out any regular joe to get rebounds and contend, I don't think you can, and I think only one team got away with not having a big as one of their top 3 players, the Warriors, because they had 4 all-star players and Iggy who at times (especially in big games) flashbacked to his prime years.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Anthony Duckett should be ashamed of himself, his misrepresentations were egregious.

To the point of possible litigation.

Reeko likes this.
  4. awc713

awc713 Member

I think it’s easy to downplay Mobley partially because so many hyped bigs inevitably fail. Rockets obviously cannot afford to have a Bagley over Luka or Thabeet over JH type fail. There is a big miss rate among all prospects but it seems more dire with big men...and while Mobley (like any prospect) does have some issues upon intense inspection, he also seems like such a strong foundational pick.

I’ve tried to watch and talk myself into Green. I like what he offers and have no doubt he can be a 20-25ppg machine while healthy and young, and perhaps even better at his prime. I will happily welcome either player, honestly, but the deep reads on Mobley look more intoxicating. He has genetics you can’t teach and scores excellently in many advanced stats. I think he will play so well in the future of the NBA with how the game is transitioning. I would be more worried if he were a bulkier big, a la Wiseman, Bagley, or other recently-hyped bigs. Mobley needs to put on weight but he is almost in a different category than other previously-hyped bigs and that’s not necessarily addressed. He’s lankier and has handles, passes, projects as a defensive monster...really looks to be a solid player for a long time to come.

#1304 awc713, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  5. MystikArkitect

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if Mobley is a top 3 pick. Draft hasn't happened yet.

And you never know, green might go number 1.

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

That team was so OP they played positionless basketball but saying that as if they played without size is silly.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Spiderman will adjust quickly to the speed of the NBA.

D-rock likes this.
  10. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

The overplayed argument is equating ppg to offensive arsenal.

Shaq averaged more points than Yao. Who had the more advanced offensive arsenal?

Mobley is NOTHING like Bosh. Get off of the crack

11. MystikArkitect

One thing I like a lot about Mobley is that his dad I a hoop head and an assistant coach at USC. It runs in the family. When he gets home, his dad will get on him for this or that.

Jalen Green scares me with his whole Insta lifestyle. I think he'll have more PPG than Mobley but give me the player that gives me the best +/-. Just still burned out from a certain someone being distracted by things outside of basketball.

12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

No one is saying to play without size. Obviously KD is tall enough to be a center.

13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol you also seem to misread my post. I was saying Lebron is best player of his generation. Said nothing about Jalen Green in my post. Did I even mention Jalen Green once??

Irrelevant simply meant you coulda replaced Bosh with any big who gets rebounds and play defense and they woulda won. However if you replaced Lebron or Wade they don't win.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

A complete hypothetical which I'm not sure is true because once again...the past 20 years every championship team featured an all-star big man. Every single one. So I have no reason to believe your hypothetical that Lebron and Wade could have won with just any regular or average big man. I could say then that OKCs bigs at the time would have feasted and made it that much harder for them to win. You can't disprove that...but I can say that every team that's won a championship in the past 20 years had at least one all-star level big...in fact some of them had two.

Lebron is great but he's still never won a championship without an all-star big. This is also a fact.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Idk why this made me laugh so hard

jiggyfly and D-rock like this.
  16. csc177

csc177 Member

Mobley just seems like a nice guy - I feel like he’d get punked/ manhandled in the league.

…but Tim Duncan was a nice guy too with a friendly demeanor - worked out okay for him. A skilled 7footer is indeed unique.

…we can’t go wrong in this draft honestly (unless Stone loses his mind and trades for a veteran)

Dobbizzle and D-rock like this.
  17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

The Raptors did not.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Evan Mobley is going to be the pick for Houston. You guys can bet all of your damn bitcoins on it

D-rock likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

this is actually the principal reason I’m Green over Mobley.

I don’t think Mobley will adjust to the speed of the NBA. Not to the extent he’s a bust or bad player. But to the extent he’ll take a while to live up to the selection… or not at all.

Except for the rarest occasions he doesn’t ever display any level of quick twitch athleticism or explosiveness. The guys he’s comped to, even p the extent Mobley had better stats, those guys had higher or much higher level speed/explosiveness, etc.

So my concern is that combined with his seemingly ho him approach on the court, he’s dominating lesser talent and indeed will struggle to adjust to NBA speed.

would have been one thing if he had a KG demeanor, or true unicorn size - but he’s apparently just another solidly long big amongst many with similar or longer reaches in the nba.

if the Rockets draft him I hope in wrong. One thing is for certain though… nobody can say oh he’ll adjust immediately or be fine and know for certain. Just like nobody can say he’ll improve his 3 point % and nobody can say for sure if Green will become a better defender or passer.

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that title shouldn’t even count because Golden State’s stars were injured. They could barely field a team by the end of the Finals.

D-rock likes this.