1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will rephrase: He has fewer moves than Clint Capela, who also has zero moves. His moves are akin to the "Big Man Package" in NBA 2k at this stage of his career. More often than not his lack of creativity and imagination on the offensive end have him jumping in the air for contact and scrounging the ball weakly over the top of a stronger framed defender. Relative to gifted offensive players, his creativity is nil. Defensively, however, the kid is a born genius. Truly sublime.

Evan Mobley does not have a reliable NBA crossover. If there is crazy **** being posted in this thread, it is that assertion. (Or maybe the "moves like KD" statements...) Give me a break.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There are doubts about everybody in this draft and all the others what's your point?

It tells you what?

D-rock likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Thon Maker has similar highlight videos with crossovers and monster dunks.

All these highlight videos are just all the best plays which are entertaining but not to be confused with watching tape.

Im not saying Mobley is as busty as Maker but highlights are just highlights.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Once again spouting that B.S. he had more moves in High School than Capella has now.

Just his handles puts him with more moves than Capella.

You know who else did not have any moves leading to the draft?

AD, KG, Giannis and a multitude of other big men.

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The same can be said for Green, there have been more guards who had moves like him that have busted so what's your point.

And no Thon Maker never showed the BBIQ that Mobley has and he was never as good at defense.

D-rock likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Youre right, my point is about highlight videos and getting excited about a crossover.

Mobley wasn’t bringing up the ball and/or crossing over fools most of the time or a lot. Posting a bunch of highlight videos is just good for entertainment.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Mobley was not asked to do that so I don't understand your point?

He did show that he can do those things on multiple occasions so you know it's in his toolbox.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Rockets4Life13

Nailed it. He is not similar to KD at all. His offensive game is pretty underwhelming imo.

9. Htown's Finest

You obviously are way too young to have seen KG play in HS my guy lol. KG actually played PG in HS. AD actually had quite a few moves coming out of college. I will agree that Giannis move set was very limited. 33% correct is horrible % brother LMAO....

10. vince

vince Member

From what I'm reading everywhere, it seems that Mobley has got to be the pick. His size and skill are too much to pass on, when compared to anyone else in the draft that is going to be there. As I fully expect Cade to be taken #1 (no surprise) just like practically every Mock draft I've seen.

Only reason Cade goes #1 is that his size and skill at the PG/SG are too enticing to pass on (There are but a handful of point guards who are 6'8" in the NBA history - based on how he performed against top talent, he's too obvious not to pass on - even with Mobley siting there too). Cade is 6'8" 220 lbs. Mobley is 7'0" 215 lbs... Cade has already shown he can play in top form in his man size body, Mobley still needs to add 15-20 lbs of muscle just to be relevant and not get pushed around by 7'0" hired bangers (who have 6 fouls to give!)

Regarding Green and Suggs - well every year there is a can't miss shooting guard that is going to revolutionize the league, but it's getting harder and harder to identify those said players with such a small sample size against players within their own talent spectrum. I'm super intrigued by Green too, but unless he blows everyone away with his interview and intangible's, Cleveland will have the next big decision to make between Suggs and Green....

TimDuncanDonaut, D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Right but they were also in Thon Maker’s lesser toolbox if you just go by highlights.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL.

I am definitely old enough to have seen KG, I watched his McDonalds game.

And he never played PG in high school you are the one who never saw him play.

I have already debunked the myth that AD had quite a few moves by posting his draft profiles., you must have never seen him play.

Why you on here just making **** up because you think I have not seen them both play as high schoolers.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't understand where you are going with this, its evident that he has more skill than Maker and has shown his toolbox far more often, they ran the offense through Mobley and Maker was never the hub of the offense.

I am going by far more than highlights.

14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

Some people just don't have an eye for talent. Sorry, KG was Goku to Mobley's Krillin. They are basically not even playing the same sport. Look at the post-footwork right off the bat. An entirely different form of flying, altogether!

Corrosion likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Found some more Evan Mobley highlights.

:p

16. sydmill

sydmill Member

The only hesitation that I have in selecting Mobley is the idea that there might not be a guard prospect at Green's level in the next few drafts for the Rockets to select. I still believe you go Mobley but that fact does give me some pause. Really puts some pressure on KPJ to be the guy that many project him to be...

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF are you talking about?

What do you think you saw here most of that was putbacks and oops.

Have you not seen any Mobley highlights from HS?

Zen Tabak likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I see goofy, weak, yet fairly quick drives in the vein of Marcus Camby. 1:13 in the second video is the stereotypical Evan Mobley skillset. Yuck... Not even remotely close to having the shifty control and comfort that KG had with the ball.

Offensively, I don't see KG, AD, Giannis, KD, TD, etc... Hell, I don't see Embiid, Ayton, KAT.

Defensively he is aces, offensively he has a longgg way to go to avoid being a Capela rim runner.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There are guard prospects at Greens level just about every year and better, we just had Ant Man last year, Ja Morant ( better prospect) year before that.

Luka and Trae (both better prospects) before that, Fultz and Tatum before that.

Where is Green being thought of as a generational talent?

D-rock likes this.
  20. xaos

xaos Member

I just looked at all of these old threads from the NBA Draft forum... it's crazy how hard it is to predict a draft player becoming a stud in the NBA. Even some of the ones that looked like high floor players. Some of the posts were pretty funny though. I thought about making a thread of just previous comments from posters to get a sense of who has a pulse on these things and who doesn't

Rockets have their work cut out for them

RudyTBag and jiggyfly like this.