1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Mobley is a great prospect. I don’t think a team can go wrong picking in the top 3 this year. I honestly won’t be disappointed if we end up with any of Mobley Green or Cade. But I like Green.

albuster, IvanLCPM, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would take either jalen over him. too much risk. the rockets have so many picks these next few years along with cap space that they can acquire a a good center.

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

James Wiseman is the same size as Mobley, how did he do?!?!?! Draft the best player on the board, not the best fit. It would not surprise me, if a lot of teams are asking Houston's pick because they want Green.

RudyTBag likes this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

Maybe. But history is that KPJ has played a full season now on two terrible teams, and only averaged 12 ppg and 3.6 assts. I can't build around that. Not only is his history littered with being outplayed so far, but he's not a winner. Wood same thing. I must build around the pick and trust he's what he looks like he is.

5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I hear what you guys are saying...I need to watch more of Mobley and Green, but the more I watch of Mobley the better. He is very mobile for his size and seems to have good touch. I can see why he is the huge upside pick.

6. larry cook

larry cook Member

Smh

Plowman, Roc Paint and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

History also is that KPJ has scored 50 points in an NBA game right after playing Jalen Green off the court in the G league.

If you want to build around the pick, you need to make sure they are the best player on your team.....and that's very likely not going to be the case, at least for several years no matter who it is.

Maybe guys like Suggs or Green will one day be as good as KPJ, but it's not a given.

albuster and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I could have gone on .... there's quite a few more big man flops the Rockets drafted

larry cook likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have to go against Mobley because the Rockets are going to pick him 80%. Hakeem was there, it is a sign......

Sometimes you have to go against the mob.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wiseman is raw in comparison.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Based on nothing but YouTube highlights I’m switching my preference to Mobley now. He sure looks smooth. I’d be cool with any of the top 3 though.

albuster and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Cuttino Mobley was definitely underrated.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Toothpick
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

dmoneybangbang and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You're basing the Rockets future on the fact that a first round pick with one year NBA experience outplayed a kid who was playing his 2nd game above the high school level? You don't think that he deserves a little time to get aclimated to playing against grown men and with a longer 3 point line?

All of the players on the Ignite took time to adapt to the G-League. Green kept getting better every game and was awesome in their playoff game 30/7/5 on 65% TS).

History also has Corey Brewer scoring 51 points (against the Rockets). Does that make him a great player?

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Tough to sell a 7 footer short.

albuster, Rudyc281 and deb4rockets like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

(Personally not on the Mobley train)

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Mobley is the best fir for this team after Cade. We have a gapping hole at center with the need for rim protection. If we are so high on Scoot then what's the use picking another guard?

We really are in a great position.

18. TimDuncanDonaut

I would put Wiseman in a potential bust bucket. Still early but he's trending that way. Busts comes in all shapes and sizes though. Fultz is 6'3".

There's a lot of anti height bias I feel right now. People used to say skill ball is not small ball. I'd say skill ball can include tall ball.

The tease of this draft class was supposed to be closer to lebron/melo/wade's draft year. I'm no scouting expert, but that's what the scout experts say. Sure they've been wrong, lot of this projections is like educated guessing. Most scouts say Cade/Mobley/Suggs, they are not likely to bust. Even the floor for them is fringe starter / role player, as in not out of the league in just a few years.

Ya'll do remember Anthony Davis, Bosh, and Prozingis was also a toothpick when they were drafted, right? At that age, probably lot of us on this board was a toothpick.

For anyone done some body building (even casual), putting on muscles initially from the skinny frame is not hard. When you have NBA type of facilities and nutritionists, it's even easier. Modern nba, with the value of speed, it's a balance of having some muscle, but not too much weight on the joints. You can go like Ayton, or stay KD body goals.

#78 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I stand corrected. He led them to the elite eight, finally going down against the second best Zags.

Mobley has a good chance to be dominant on BOTH ends of the hardwood. Elite D - both on the interior/perimeter.. EXCELLENT passer ...Big time finisher w/touch....runs the court...smooth/fluid. Consider his ability to knock down a 15-20 footer. And while 30% from three might not seem like much, consider hat's light years at this point above most guys that have some of his skills. I see Evan becoming at minimum a decent three point shooter in the NBA. He's 19! Love it. His foot work and instincts should blend well with Dream's tutelage. I understand the reticence to draft a center this high in today's NBA, Evan transcends all that.

Obviously, I'm sky high on Kevin and see him, like most of you, as a potential franchise player..with unlimited upside on the court. Unfortunately, his downside risk off the court at this point balances things out. We'll have to see what happens, but I like his chances more with each passing day. And, I REALLY like the kid. He's quite personable.

CW is an interesting situation. I actually COULD see him playing well with Evan, but ultimately feel like the age difference/our strategy, next contract, and high price he would fetch leads to him being dealt.
    I want to see us rebuild with youngsters, and don't want an "accelerated" version in almost any form. It needs to be organic.

I like Green, but see Mobley as the play.

#79 Plowman, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You are projecting what you hope Mobley can become. Right now he's not a good passer, not a great rebounder, doesnt have a post up game and he's a below average shooter ( even for a big).

Every year, teams draft players hoping that they can develop skills. We can keep pretending that Hakeem is going to be able to teach players how to play like he did but that's not realistic. There has only been one Olajuwon. His speed, strength and ability to counter what the defender did is unparalleled. You cant teach that to someone.

You can teach them the moves but unless they have Olajuwon's speed, footwork and instincts, it's not going to translate. How long has Hakeem been working with our bigs? Which ones really got better working with him?

SkareKrow, ilias and dmoneybangbang like this.