1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well he wouldn't be hidden in a zone defense. G-league is for developing
    things like individual defense such as man-to-man or PnR (switching)
    or switch everything.

I'm not sure there are many big body players in the G-league; but I'm
    guessing Amir Johnson would have tested Mobley in the paint.

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  2. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

17.9 points per game on 46% shooting and 19 years old isn't killing it in the G League?

2nd in scoring in the G League playoffs? (30 pts)

Come on bro.

Whats Mobley averaging against college scrubs again?

Htown's Finest likes this.
  3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I'm seeing a lot of compare/contrast to AD, but I'm wondering if a shorter Ralph Sampson isn't a better template to consider?

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So....he basically did the same as KMJ who was 19 as well.....and who actually plays defense?

Your standards for "killing it" are ridiculously low, I wonder how you would describe Hartenstein's last G league stint.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

And yet, poor fragile Mobley seems to be consensus top 3 pick, same as Cade, same as Green.

Mobley must have pulled the wool over every team's eyes, these supposed experts who actually rely on evaluation to keep their jobs.

But you got it figured out right? You and your ilk are certain that Mobley is a bust already.

:rolleyes:o_O

groovemachine, Ramo$e and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a better shooter, better passer, who moves better than Sampson. Honestly they have next to nothing in common.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Clutch City1993

Cant wait to come back to this in a couple of years lol

D-rock and Htown's Finest like this.
  8. Clutch City1993

KJM played like 10 games in the g league. What does that have to do with with Green's obvious tool kit? Its not just the stats. Its the way he creates as well.

9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

16/8 as a true freshman in a 40 minute game is excellent. Although I was wrong earlier, USC got beat in the Elite 8 not Final 4.

Regardless I'm still waiting to hear the names of that fictitious 'Murderer's Row' of college centers that abused EM. :D

Ramo$e and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Amir Johnson would have fared about as well as James Wiseman methinks.

Isn't Amir Johnson simply fighting for his NBA life right now?

Perhaps if Amir Johnson were a more skilled player some NBA team would still want him.

Amir Johnson is Exhibit A on what bigs lack in the modern NBA.

The game has evolved, and will continue to evolve.

Mobley is part of that evolution.

11. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Name a center, not named AD, that plays like a guard. Not even AD can handle the ball like this kid. Toronto Raptors, Aaron Baynes and Ibaka are not PF/C ?

Mobley is solid on offense and moves like a 2 but is long and stud on defense. Dynamic scoring guards are a dime a dozen.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think Cade, Mobley, and Suggs would’ve done well in the G-League also

the college game is restrictive, primarily half court with 35 second shot clocks and teams struggling to score 80 points, and there’s practically no spacing

13. Clutch City1993

I can look up individual box scores later. Here is one of the videos I used in my research.

Fast forward to around the 8:30 mark

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As opposed to Green's 15.....

The point is, in no world did Green "kill it", he did alright, made some flashy plays and made some 3's, but KPJ is the one who "killed it" in the G league.

I like Green's tool kit, he can make some 3's and he can call his own number to create some baskets for himself, but the hype is completely out of control. He's looking like a Terrence Ross clone but people keep talking about him like he's going to be a 30 points per game type player.

15. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

lol He can. He looks a lot less lost too. What are you saying? With his handles like that at 7 feet who is stopping him? AD is not wide at all. If anything AD has had a chance to use NBA training facilities, staff and diets. On his sophomore contract. This kid doesn't need all that extra stuff thats how they body start breaking down. Let them be them.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Clutch City1993

John Lucas III also had a great g league stint

17. Htown's Finest

Sorry, I misread your post. Yeah man Calvin is the best, I love hearing his stories. I would love to meet him in real life and pick his brain about basketball for an hour, that would be a dream for me. So many guys on this board don't give Calvin Murphy the due credit that he deserves. I've constantly defended Murph on the forum to young guys that think they know more than the legend lol. It's really hilarious and ridiculous at the same time if I'm being honest.

sydmill likes this.
  18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

So is it a guard league or not? I thought the post didn't matter blah, blah, blah. I would rather have this guy playing 5 out than some 6'9 PF. I've seen enough of that. No thanks!

19. Clutch City1993

I see the athleticism. I see the rim protection. I just dont see anything special in the post. Nice footwork on defense though.

Whether we like it or not, the NBA is no longer about bigs. Then again, things always go in cycles.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

See, I wouldn't even call that great, the G league has such little talent the standards for doing great are sky high.

Guys who barely belong in the NBA can average 20/10.

I mean it's not quite China where Jimmer can average 30+, but it's simply not a top tier professional league.

That's why I'm not all that impressed with Green's statline, though I do see a lot of promise as a scorer when watching the tape.