1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I posted in another thread the physical comparison to Kareem. In this pic Kareem is, at least, 22 with 4 years at UCLA under his belt. Is it not likely that Mobley puts on enough muscle to handle life in the NBA pivot? If he has the speed, agility and length advantage almost every night is it hard to imagine him being able to rebound and score around the hoop against the average NBA big?

Now I am not saying that Mobley=Jabar. What I am saying is that Kareem played with a similar type body and was one of the best ever in an era where you would think a skinny guy would be a much bigger issue.

2. Rocket_Man_2.0

Mobley doesn't...making him a super risky prospect.

3. Rocket_Man_2.0

Jalen Green to me is not only the better player...but his injury risk is much lower. I'm afraid Mobley is going to bulk up and his legs are going to snap!

4. conquistador#11

He shot 70% from the free throw line as a Freshman. If you can shoot a free throw and have a soft touch on a mid jumper then you can develop moves, I think.

albuster and D-rock like this.
  5. Rocket_Man_2.0

Mobley's game is just too finesse...i don't see it translating to the NBA very well.

#505 Rocket_Man_2.0, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

:eek:

Come on man. Gruesome injury is not a fun topic. That's taking it a bit far, no?

If we talk about gruesome leg injury in the last couple decades. Stuff where bones popped out or just looked really really bad on TV. The notable ones are all closer to Jalen Green's 6'5" height than a 7 footer. And I'm not proclaiming the below guys got injured because of their height.

LeVert - 6'6" - snapped ankle (2018)
    Gordon Hayward - 6'7" - fractured ankle (2017)
    Livingston - 6'7" - dislocated both knees (2007)
    Kevin Ware - 6'2" (2013) duke player
    Paul George - 6'8" - fractured both tibula/fibula shin bones on right leg (2014)

You can like Jalen Green over Evan Mobley, but this kind of statement on tall players in general is not cool.

#506 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    D-rock and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  7. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao's weight gain might have been the cause of his shortened career but I do not remember any statement from Yao or the Rockets confirming it. There might have been other factors. He was 7'6" with size 18 shoes whereas Shaq was 7'1" with size 23. The reason was his feet were growing so quickly that his parents couldn't afford to buy him new shoes all the time. So, he had to wear shoes that were smaller and restricted the growth of his feet. Which might have contributed to the injuries that shortened his career. IMHO the main culprit of his shortened career was the fact that he played ball year-round due to his commitment to the Chinese National Team. When we participate in high-impact sports like basketball micro-cracks form in our musculoskeletal system. When we rest, those cracks heal. Yao's bones didn't get a chance to heal because he never got extended rest periods in-between seasons.

8. MoMobley

MoMobley Member

I didn't know rather to have my name MoMobley or GoGreen. Either player fine by me.

D-rock likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

USC had a very soft schedule for a top 25 team (like Gonzaga).

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I get where you are coming from but the differences between Kareem vs Mobley are night and day to me. Kareem is probably the greatest offensive threat the game has ever seen, and for the 5 spot he is definitely the greatest scoring center ever no questions asked. You also have to take into account that the centers were much smaller back then (late 60's, 70's and 80's), not just in height but in weight also. If you draft Mobley you are taking him on the strength that he can be a lockdown defender on the 5 spot. Will he be able to switch on guards? Who knows, the NBA guards are a hell of a lot better and faster than most of the guys Mobley saw in college. If I were drafting a center I would not be drafting one with the notion that I wanted him to have the guard the likes of Curry, Dame, Kyrie, Fox, and so on (if he has to in spurts because of a switch so be it but that's a tall task for anyone and especially a center). But the million dollar question is can he hold his own against the Jokic's, Embiid, and AD's of the world? If the Rockets believe he can be a good defender while averaging 20 and 10 in about 3-4 years then I'm all for drafting him. But I'm not trying to draft just a piece with this year's #2 pick. We need a stud.

11. sydmill

sydmill Member

1) Exactly, Kareem was one of the greatest ever all the while he was a guy "who skipped leg day" or was a "toothpick". He was long, lean and agile. Evan Mobley will not have a career as productive as Jabbar's but for people to act like its outlandish that he can be effective with his frame is ignoring precedent.

2) Much smaller centers? Wes Unseld, Moses Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon, Bill Laimbeer and Robert Parrish say hi. Regardless, the difference was that the way they played was far more physical than todays game. Again, Jabbar survived, he thrived, despite being at a physical disadvantage because of his agility and his skill. Mobley does not have the skill. He might never. But he is agile and long and that can make for a very effective center on offense and defense.

3) Given the lack of real post threats in the NBA I am not overly concerned with Evan's post defense. Of course he is not going to be asked to check any of those guys off the tip. But with his length and his agility and quickness he ought to be able to corral them better than most other centers which is what makes him so useful in todays NBA.

4) I have no idea whether he will hold his own with those guys. I am sure that as a rookie he will take his lumps. But he should be able to exploit Jokic on the perimeter and his length should bother Embiid. AD is a difficult matchup for any center so I will just say he will do what he can.

5) I think it is easy to project him as a good defender and a guy who will collect 10 boards. I think, if he has guards who can facillitate, that he can score 20 ppg. He should get quite a few points off of the PnR and in transition as well as off of offensive boards. I am not sure that he is going to be a throw the ball to him and watch him score type every night regardless of who is checking him. If that is what you want then Green is probably your guy but you are trading off those other things.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Mobley has all the tools to be a dominant big man in the NBA. His defensive instincts and lateral ability on the perimeter are off the charts. His passing both in the post and on the short roll is insanely good for a big man, which I think will really carry over in the NBA with spread out offenses. Although his percentages aren't great, he has good form on his jumper and he'll hopefully have enough range to be a shooter from NBA three. The Bosh comparisons are on point.

My main concern is his weight. He can't play center in the NBA at 220lbs. People say he can still add weight, but his shoulders look narrow to me. His frame is not big at all. If he is strictly a PF that limits his ceiling. Look at Christian Wood who is also lanky and not very strong. Despite being amazing offensively and a good rebounder and shotblocker, Wood is often outmuscled at the 5. I know smallball is popular in the league right now, but strength matters at the 5. In the West alone we'll likely need to contend with Jokic and Ayton for years.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He shoots a good FT% though? So I don't see how that could be a knock on him. The video is just some practice video.

The thing is, if Mobley was just an all defensive prospect with little chance of developing an offense he would never be ranked top 3. Never. Her'd just be some 7-14 project pick but he's not that. He's not that because scouts mostly agree that he has a ton of potential on the offensive end of the court.

mikenm268, D-rock and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am convinced this kid is Marcus Camby, who was also the second pick and also shot 70% from the FT line in college. Nearly identical build and ability to block shots without fouling.

RedIsen likes this.
  15. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

2) Robert Parish was 229, Hakeem is only 6'10 250, Laimbeer was only 244, Wes Unseld is only 6'7 240 my guy lol (Wes Unseld is the last person I would have mentioned if I were trying to solidify my stance). As opposed to Jokic, Brook Lopez, Embiid, and others being over 280 pounds in today’s NBA at the center position.

3) If the Rockets select Mobley or any player with the #2 pick you can bet your ass that within less than a year that player is going to be a starter for us. Contrary to popular belief post play is still alive and well in the NBA. Jokic lives in the post, Embiid, AD, KAT, Randle, and many others utilize post play too bro. Mobley is definitely going to be called upon to play post defense.

5) Like I said before I'm not looking to draft just a serviceable big with the #2 pick. I love me some Otis Thorpe just as much as the next old school Rockets fan but that's not who I'm looking to build around (yes Mobley's game does kinda remind me of Otis a tad bit). Cunningham/Green have been my guys since day 1. I'm looking for a franchise player.

16. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Very fair point , I would encourage you to search Wiseman injury on YouTube, our very own Kmart blocking the living **** out of him . Just good food for thought.

17. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Camby is an interesting comp. 6'11, 220 vs Mobley's 7'0, 210.

Camby held his own in a slower, more post game focused era. But was probably a better rebounder than Mobley.

Mobley has more upside on offense with shooting, short passing, and some on-ball ability. Keeping my expectations tempered with the on-ball projections. This is where the AD and KD comparisons fall apart for me. AD played point in highschool. KD was a shooting guard. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Mobley develops any in traffic dribbling ability, or guard-like moves.

jimmyv281 likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. For me personally, his moves look closer to Clint Capela than AD/Giannis/KD, etc. Baby Deer out there.

I really do like his game, but I lean Cade/Green 100%.

19. JustaBallCoach

JustaBallCoach New Member

Do we have an official height on Mobley yet? He sure doesn’t look 7 foot to me.

20. sydmill

sydmill Member

I selected guys who were tough and physical. I am sure you recall Calvin's Unseld stories. So are you implying that Hakeem would be undersized in today's NBA? I agree if the Rockets think that Mobley will only be a serviceable, OT type then they should pass. I dont think that is the case. I am not saying he is going to be an alltimer but I think he brings a whole lot to the table and I am not sure I feel the same way about Green (or Suggs/Kuminga/Barnes/whoever else is available). I may be wrong but then again so might you.

D-rock likes this.