1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

KD has never looked so big.

2. albuster

albuster Member

Green might be explosive but we have seen such players before, and either they had short careers due to injuries or they were good scorers but did not make the team better as a whole. Think Tmac, Rose, Westbrook, etc. Let's run with Mobley, help him develop his game, and continue to build the core of an eventual championship team.

3. albuster

albuster Member

But how much improvement would there be from this year to next year with that lineup? No defense and marginal improvement in offense, if any. I hope the Rockets will get lucky in their later picks so that some significant improvement on both sides of the court will be made.

palmsnbananas and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

That is even more iso offense and less ball movement.

Imagine playing Wall, Porter and Green in same lineup - it will be a disaster.

albuster, JayGoogle and groovemachine like this.
  5. hakeemthagreat

No he's not any clear shot #2. For one hes still skinny, so will take a few years to develop. Secondly hes a big that attacks & blocks shots, which means more prone to leg injuries. Third, we already have Wood and can get another rim protector in the draft

Green will make a KILLING in Silas's system

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Or natural athletic ability

albuster likes this.
  7. HardenVolumeOne

you Hakeem only fans are gonna be ruthless and mean to whoever we draft at #2. Plz go easy on the kid. Hakeems legacy is secure. Let’s just root for the next star in rockets franchise without any bias

I would hate for green, or Mobley to have to endure what harden went through here on these forums

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Your reasoning is the one that is specious here none of what you say makes any sense. It's basically "let me ignore everything you say because Green is the pick" lol.

Who cares what happened in history we are talking about the present not the past. Historically MJ went no 3 lemme guess Suggs gonna be the goat? Oh but wait KD went no 2 I guess Mobley about to be the next Durant. We dont know if its a loaded draft till a year later thats fair but this draft includes Green and Suggs so if the draft is weak it means those guys sucked. Mobley is a lot more highly rated than either Green or Suggs so if you think this draft is weak then those 2 will suck before Mobley.

Mobley scored more than Suggs so if Mobley's offense is overrated and wont translate to the NBA then Suggs is gonna be the next maxey will be a brokeshot pg.

Do you have any proof that offense translates more easily than defense in the NBA? The opposite is what's true you got guys like Jimmer Fredette and Adam Morrison fail to translate their offense in the NBA a lot more than defensive guys who cant defend in the NBA.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, I don't mind getting green but I don't understand the 'Green slides right in' argument i've seen from people.

KPJ needs the ball to be effective and so will Green...and then there is Wall who is determined to prove he's still an all-star so he'll only pass if he thinks it's an assist.

So I think Mobley is the better day 1 fit. Even with Wood Mobley won't look to score much and won't need the ball to be effective and our two guards, Wall and KPJ, will have some nice bigs to work off of...maybe we can even redeem Wall's value because of it.

All that said, all things equal, I'm not team Mobley because of day 1 fit, but because I think he's the more unique prospect.

#329 JayGoogle, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  10. dmoneybangbang

LOL. Ignore everything? LOL again. If I was the only one then maybe.... but take a look around GARM. Take a look around the internet now, it's not crazy picking Green over Mobley. In fact.... you are seeing more Mobley at #3 and #4 than before now that the order has been set. Most mocks have Mobley, Green, and Suggs in the same tier.....

LOL. The past..... and yet Mobley is being compared to KG.... Bosh.... AD.... It's hilarious. If you want to talk about the present and future, it's offense. Look at the PPG.... the pace.... Points Allowed..... EFG%...... LOLOLOLOL.... Fredette and Morrison..... How about we bring up Thabeet then since you love defense so much in 2021.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Who said its crazy picking Green over Mobley? Thats just a strawman argument you are claiming nobody said that to begin with.

Most mocks have Mobley and Green on the same tier Suggs is not on that tier on most mocks. I'd say 80-90% of mocks have Mobley as their pick but mention Rox could also take Green, almost nobody has them taking Suggs over either Mobley and Green. You'd have to dig deep and find those couple of dumbasses who says they'll take Suggs over Mobley and Green. Like those Ringer guys who said they'll take Killian Hayes over Edwards, Ball and Wiseman.

Look at PPG? Ok

Mobley: 16 ppg
    Suggs: 14 ppg

E FG? Ok
    Mobley: 59%
    Suggs: 56%

Pace and Pts allowed are team stats they dont have anything to do with individual offense and defense.

TS:
    Mobley: 62%
    Suggs: 59%

Offensive Win Share
    Mobley: 4.3
    Suggs: 2.5

Defensive Win Share
    Mobley: 2.6
    Suggs: 2.1

Offensive Box Score +/-
    Mobley: 7.9
    Suggs: 4.8

Mobley is better than Suggs based on pretty much every stat. Just looking at offense its pretty clear Mobley is on a diff tier and we're not even talking on defense which is Mobley's forte. It's pretty clear to me you have no clue who Mobley and Suggs are thats why you're talking so much ****.

I only brought up Jimmer and Morrison only because you said offense translates better than defense in the NBA which jusr isnt true. Thabeet sucked on both offense and defense so thats not a good example. If you wanna argue that Thabeet's defense didnt translate then thats false because his defensive win shares and defensive box +/- were mostly positive despite all his other metrics tanking to the crapper. Clearly Thabeet's defense translated more to the NBA than his offense, even as a bust who didnt have any passion or interest in bball.

#331 roslolian, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Every year a team is duped by the draftniks gushing over the potential of the top big man in that draft, only for them to turn around and mock the pick one year later.

Just this week Hollinger and Duncan were mocking the foolishness of Golden State in drafting Wiseman, whose stock has apparently cratered now that you see him on the court trying to play NBA offense and NBA defense. They said Wiseman’s play was basically just “mashing buttons on the controller,” which is hilarious. But rewind the tape one year back and I guarantee you they were doing some heavy knob slobbering about his potential.

This happens EVERY YEAR. Before Wiseman it was Ayton, before Ayton it was Bagley. Even when it does pan out, you either have a situation like Ayton’s where he’s still not the main man on his team, or even the second guy, and don’t even give me the idea that Phoenix would be in the final four in any other season. This year’s playoffs are like the NCAA tourney when Kemba won. Stupid high seeds all over the place. Cinderella city…or it’s like KAT where he is a stat maven, but how much of that actually translates to winning?

Finally you have the point I haven’t even gotten to yet. Injury risk. With big men it’s not a matter of if but when. Porzingis has tanked the Mavs’ prospects all by his lonesome. How is Luka gonna win there with his boat anchor contract on board now? Just two years ago he was dominant, and now look what lower extremity injuries have done.

If you get the fact that Duncan was the point on the spear of the Spurs’ system, then you really have to go back to Shaq to see the last time a big carried his team to the finish. For those who are saying Mobley is more of a KG KD AD or Bosh type, I’m just not buying it. Those unicorns flash from MILES away. They tend to be guards starting out in high school who go through insane growth spurts that suddenly make them into…supersized guards. Transforming Mobley’s into that kind of a player is a bridge too far for me.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

You replied with "I ignore everything" speaking of strawman arguments..... so just stop.

So it would seem like Mobley isn't the defense force when would expect for the rhetoric from this simple analysis. And since it wasn't obvious.... I was saying the offense in the NBA has improved drastically using those metrics because you somehow doubt that offense isn't greater than defense.

14. dmoneybangbang

They are focusing too much on the potential, which is why these type of big man go so high.......

I wouldn't be upset with Mobley at the #2, I just know the Rockets took a big gamble.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

thisnis generally how I feel … EXCEPT… the difference between Mobley and Wiseman, Ayton, Bagley, Porzingis, etc is Mobleys upside is as a true defensive anchor. A Gobert that can also switch in the perimeter… that is better at offense. His unicorn potential is then that he becomes REALLY good at offense. I’ve seen some even say maybe ultimately he can even slide to 3/4 in spot situations as he has a bit of a handle.

but personally I’m equally concerned that his defense isn’t as elite as some are making out as hes mostly taken advantage of his size with A athleticism for that size against otherwise much smaller players.

I can talk myself into Green, Mobley, Suggs, trading back for Barnes, etc.

mikenm268, Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont doubt that offense is greater than defense overall but we're not talking trends we are talking individual players. Young is a better offensive force than Giannis doesnt mean you take Young over Giannis in a draft.

Mobley is both an offensive and defensive force as you can see in the stats thats why he is ranked no 2 in a loaded draft. Green is considered on his tier because he is taller than advertised (6'6 w/o shoes) and he played in a tougher comp and even knowing all that most mocks take Mobley. Amost nobody considers Suggs no 2 over either those guys Mobley's offensive stats are better than Suggs and thats not even mentioning defense which obv Mobley is far more superior being a 7 footer who can guard players 1-5.

17. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Yeah sign me up for a guy with a very limited offensive game and that will get banged out in the post at 215 pounds and has MAJOR question marks if he even likes basketball with the #2 pick! Sign me up for that right now please! :cool:

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Interesting.

Hakeemtheking and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'd argue every year you get perimeter players that are going to be the next "Enter HOF guard/forward here" and it doesn't pan out.

Tyreke Evans. Evan Turner. Wesley Johnson. MKG. Dion Waiters. Otto Porter. Wiggins. Exum. Hezonja. Kris Dunn. Lonzo. Fultz...

I mean every top 5 has busts. A good year is if 3 of the guys aren't busts, usually 3 of them are busts or at the very best just solid starters.

The whole idea that we should pass on Mobley on because some other big bust in a previous draft is just irrational to me. Lonzo Ball was hyped to the moon and Wiggins and Turner and they all turned out to be meh players. You then have guys that I didn't include on this impromptu list like Oladipo and D.Russel because they are starting level players but they didn't live up to their pick. So I can make the same argument. "Dion Waiters bust so maybe Green will too." or "Evan Turner was supposed to be the next great SG, he bust, maybe Green will too."

Big men bust out just as often as forwards or guards do is my point. Thinking that Mobley is going to disappoint because Wisemen did (and he's only been in the NBA for one season so...) is treating them as if they are the same prospect. They aren't.

GSW reached for Wisemen because they could afford to fill a need being a team that wanted to contend when Klay comes back. Wisemen was around 4-8 on many big boards while Mobley is #2 on nearly every big board. So Warriors reached, could afford to do so, and maybe they will pay for that, time will tell... But they are not the same prospect.

20. dmoneybangbang

Right... but you are talking about known quantities. It's not a given that Mobley will be a defensive force in the NBA or if he is a defensive force if he can be average offensively. It's clear he has some good handles for a college big and good IQ but he's isn't a great shooter (13% of his shots were from college 3).

I just feel like Mobley's college production is the hardest to predict in the NBA.