1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Get whoever detroit really wants so we can package to get cade.

2. Rockets4Life13

"This was more than likely a Mock Draft buster for a vast majority of people playing the home game (making mocks). With word coming out regarding potential problems with his ankle stemming from a foot injury he sustained as a sophomore at Kentucky, many felt that Cauley-Stein would slip deeper into the lottery. The Kings were able to look past that, seeing his athleticism and versatility on defense. Cauley-Stein was a major defensive force, and should be disruptive on that end of the floor. His lack of offensive polish and questions regarding his focus and dedication are real concerns."

Reads like this is about Mobley minus the ankle injury, lol.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[​IMG]

alethios and Verbal Christ like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes, bad comp.

Similar size and explosiveness but Mobley has better lateral agility, advanced offense and length (7'5 vs. 7'3 wingspan).

More importantly, Mobley has much better BB IQ. WCS was more an athlete playing basketball - even now WCS still doesn't seem to understand the game.

And no one called WCS a unicorn like they are with Mobley.

Rudyc281, jiggyfly and Verbal Christ like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Watch defensive rotation, switch communication and the playmaking, for himself and teammates.

WCS could not even dream of doing even half these things, never mind with same fluidity.

Grace and discipline should not be mistaken for dispassion.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So then Kristaps would be the comp if using the Unicorn analogy? Kristaps was way more polished offensively. Jocic? Embiid? KAT?

I just cant get myself excited enough for a defender who is years away from being a contributor on the other end of the court in a league that has spurned defense as of late. Houston wasnt even the worst paint defensive team in the leauge, but they were the worst perimeter defensive team giving up the most points to players facing the basket, hard to fathom a rookie big man making that much of an impact on defense in that category while being a non factor on offense. This also without even bringing up the physicality test he has yet to pass. Too risky for me.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Draft TIMMAY! ;)
    *Timme

Rudyc281 and Verbal Christ like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Drew Timme >> Jalen Suggs. He really worked Mobley in that game -- if only Timme werent from the Dallas area. Sigh. So close.

Rudyc281 and J.R. like this.
  9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The more I see of Mobley I see the first year or so Kevin Garnett way more than Bosh. I have no idea if he has KG's drive, fire, or defensive acumen; but physically it is all there.

Also I don't see him bulking up enough to defend embiid or even jokic. much like KG couldnt guard Shaq or Yao.

Rudyc281, snowconeman22 and jiggyfly like this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How can you sell a 7 foot guy short?

Rudyc281 and Plowman like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Mobley does not have to be the true number one option and Green is not guaranteed to be a true #1 option either and using those metrics to make a pic is foolish IMO.

You have to look at who would contribute overall to winning, Is Green a playmaker and good at defense? Those are just as important than the ability to be a number one option.

There is also a misconception that Mobley is a bigger project I don't understand that Mobley already has real traits that play in the NBA, I have no idea why he is just being judged as possibly being the #1 number option.

This is the 1st draft of a rebuilding project, this draft does not have to be looked at as getting that franchise player, I don't see Green as being that guy either.

I have no idea why Green is thought of as more finished than Mobley, the word raw is used in his profile just as much.

I think the skilled big man who can not be played off the floor is the more rare find, there are Greens in every draft, throughout the draft.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nope he was not, nobody ever thought he was a guy you could build around and people where not talking about bigs ability to guard on the perimeter when he was drafted.

The only player who has a ready made offensive game in the top 4 is Cade all of the others have flaws offensively.

I have no idea why a lot of people are looking at this through an offensive lens.

AD was just as raw coming out.

HTXSportsAddict and houston19519 like this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If 2/3 of the fire is there you take without a doubt at 2 lol .

14. dmoneybangbang

I was just replying to comments and people comparing him and his offensive game to that of college AD and Bosh or a young Kevin Garnett.

He's the highest variance top 4 pick this year and you are using your #2 on hoping for elite defensive production. It's a gamble.

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I still think you have to discuss the issues. As good as Garnett was, he couldn't close games and he need elite wing help to be any title threat. Honestly, I think the last team to draft the big man star and win a title with one was the Spurs, and they were lucky enough to have the Admiral the first year and one of the first teams to truly invest in elite European talent.

I also am just as high on Green as I am on Mobley.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He is very comparable to Garnett and AD coming out of Kentucky.

Neither had a polished offensive game no matter if AD was a guard as a freshman.

AD was coveted because he was a big who could could move it was not because they thought he could be an offensive #1, it was defense that everybody was in love with.

He has the highest variance based on what metric? Green is just as high of a variance especially considering he has real questions defensively.

Everybody after Cade is equally a gamble, I have no idea why you ignore that.

I can also say using you2 hoping for elite offensive production is a gamble.

HTXSportsAddict and D-rock like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There are only a handful of guys that can "close games" You can't close games with Embid or AD either so would you pass on them?

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wish I could like this 5x.

fattz likes this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Green or Mobley, either way, we are better. But here are some distinctions as I see them.

Green: More ready. Quicker rebuild.
    Mobley: Slower rebuild. More unique player. Higher ceiling (IMO).

One commentator I listened to today was pointing out how he thought Stone might feel pressure to rebuild quickly.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

lol comon man. i try to take u seriously then u post drivel like this.