1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

I'm just claiming to expect Bosh or Garnett level of production/comparisons to be the less likely outcome.

He does have versatility in his offensive game, but that's where he becomes more potential and theoretical.

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

It has a lot to do with roles and skillsets. Dwight averaged as many points in Orlando as Pau did in Memphis on higher percentages, but Pau was an elite offensive big man whereas Dwight really wasn't someone you wanted to feed. I'm not downplaying Mobley compared to Bosh. Mobley's ceiling is through the roof, but points don't tell the whole story.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't see that at all. I watched Myles at UT and he was nowhere near as fluid at Mobley. Fluidity is one of the biggest pluses in Mobley's game and Turner was awkward as hell with how he moved in college.

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look at the way he handles the rock at 7 ft.....fluid movements..can create..and finish with touch or authority. Evan's so smooth. Defensively, he's the bomb, but the offensive potential is there. So young/raw, and oozing talent.
    You know, this kid has more than a hint of KD in his game. It's different, but there are similarities. The way they move/good handles... I'm not saying Mobley will ever be close to the offensive monster that Durant is, but he has a lot more to work with on that side of the ball than many folks are giving him credit for.

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Reflecting on Las season, it reminded me as to how many very good shorter players we have of potential.
    Mobley seems to be the Center we need to go with Wood as our Power Forward. Olynyk would be our back up Big Man.
    I see us building a very complete team! I also hope we can get Zach La Vine as he has great porential and is of the right age.
    Yetti

albuster, mikenm268 and robbie380 like this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Nice to see you around Yetti. Seems like it's been awhile since you've posted

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. edwardc

edwardc Member

And you might be better then the one we had the last 4yrs.

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Me too

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

I definitely see it. Turner is actually more athletic and mobile that Mobley. Mobley move's at a slower pace.

robbie380 likes this.
  10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

A ****ing used condom would’ve been better.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I do agree that Mobley's quickness might be a liability, but he seems to make up for it with intelligence and wingspan.

12. Roc Paint

His potential is unbelievable. That being said you have to take the 7 foot youngster. I would have taken him number one if the Rockets would’ve landed that spot.

I just hope Detroit doesn’t get any funny ideas on my pic

albuster and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

They also are essentially the same size with similar wingspans as well. There's a lot of overall similarities between the two which is why I believe overall he's mobley's best comparison atm.

14. Roc Paint

Do the right thing

-Spike lee

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

However, Turner had zero ball handling and passing ability. Also, I'm rewatching videos of Turner at UT and his hip movements and awkward knee positioning is the same as I remembered it.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/myles-turner/

"Lacks fluidity, certainly he’s a guy who is mobile and can run the court, but his athleticism isn’t something that jumps out when you watch him … He has had some difficulties with his hips related to growth. His legs appear to be extremely stiff to the point where it appears he runs with a slight limp. Time will tell whether this is a temporary thing or he will always be a player lacking fluidity"

I see your point about comparing their length and height, but I think the skill sets are too different plus Turner was 30 lbs heavier.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  16. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

While I think he's the most likely pick, I would wait until at least after the combine to declare he's the 'CLEAR' pick. ;)

Plowman likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

The ball handling isn't that big of a deal. In the league, nobody is giving these bigs the ball to handle on a regular basis. I also wouldn't say his passing was 0 either.

Turner projects as a floor spacing big man at the pro level. He has a smooth shooting stroke and solid mechanics, flexing his elbows comfortably and keeping the off-arm pointed up on the follow through. Turner doesn’t elevate off the ground much but doesn’t need to for a high release point thanks to his six-foot-11 frame and the speed of his release. He has hit eight of his 20 three-point attempts and entered Monday’s game having hit 42.8 percent of his 42 two-point jump-shots, according to Hoop Math.

His other most intriguing skill is his passing. Turner has flashed a very high basketball IQ, doing little things such as swinging the ball quickly when he catches on the perimeter in non-shooting position to make sure the offense keeps moving. He also tends to post up his man to tie up a rim protector when one of Texas’ guards opts not to enter the ball to the post but rather drive towards the basket.

Turner is an excellent asset for high-low action, proving able to assist a teammate below the rim by flashing to the foul line or from the perimeter after popping off a ball-screen. He’s also flashed the ability to pass out of the low post. I don’t feel like Texas is using his passing ability enough but even as is, Turner has assisted on almost 12 percent of Texas’ scores when he has been on the floor, per Basketball Reference. When he is in the lineup, the team plays at a noticeably faster pace.

I like their similarities much more than some of these other names I've seen in this thread.

18. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

You can make similar arguments for he and Green as having the most 'home run' potential.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

ROFLMAO but you are so right.

20. alethios

alethios Member

Hopefully the combine will help separate the wheat from the chaff. Mobley may really shine in the combine and make a case for being picked first - not really likely because of Cade's maturity and ability to run the offense at a high level, but stranger things have happened.