1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto: Let the hype begin

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by da1, Nov 9, 2009.

1. cheshire

cheshire Member

Congrats Manny.

7 titles in 7 weight divisions.

2. lastmanstanding

Yes clearly anyone who thinks that boxer A will lose to boxer B is a hater of boxer A. :rolleyes:

3. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

The reason that Mayweather-Pacquiao would break records is because it is a true 50/50 fight. Pacquiao has dominated come-forward fighters, but struggled against counterpunchers. Mayweather is nearly impossible to hit against fighters smaller than him, but has lost rounds to fighters with high workrates. Who gets the better end of the matchup?

4. v3.0

v3.0 Member

I hate boxers that run around the ring and just try to tally points for a decision. I know it's a style of boxing, but the ISO Rudy T/Steve Francis era was a style of bball that I detested also.

5. what

what Member

What fighter can you say that Mayweather has fought like Manny? The only shot Mayweather has against manny is to run around the ring.

Another thing: Marquez is basically a straight ahead fighter so yeah Mayweather was able to move and catch Marquez coming in. Manny's game plan is the complete opposite. He seeks to create chaos by lunging at u with BOTH fist flighing.

Here's a telling aspect: When Pac knocked cotto down the second time, Pac was HIT FIRST and he followed that his with a knockdown blow before cotto was able to uncoal his own punch.

I don't see how Mayweather will be able to pick Manny apart. I just don't see it. manny fights with too much reckless abandon for that.

6. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Member

how come manny is not considered one of the greatest fighters of all time? you can argue that the likes of ali had tougher competition but the fact that he has dominated every weight class from 106-145 is simply ridiculous.

7. what

what Member

It would break records because everybody wants to see manny knock Mayweather the hell out. That would be sweet revenge from flyods antincs.

But I doubt flyod signs on. The guy is going to demand so much more of the money and basically do a money dodge.

And I for one don't want to see floyd get any more money than pac gets for the fight, the arrogant b*stard.

8. arubato

arubato Member

Great win by PacMan! I'm really hyped up for the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight. Hope that the fight will pugh through though

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I doubt Pac approaches Mayweather the same way he did Cotto. Will pay much more attention defensively.

One thing that impressed me was that Cotto was never able to really hurt Pacquiao even when he was landing punches early. I wonder if Mayweather's punches will have a greater effect on Pacquiao than Cotto's did.

10. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Member

Pac Man looked awesome tonight ... I may actually buy a Mayweather-Pacman fight instead of watching online :D

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Member

fight was incredible, Pacman was just taking breathers first few mins of each round after the 4th round and took every punch Cotto could take and his face didn't show it

I am seriously considering going to Vegas or whatever venue its going to be if there is going to be a Mayweather/Pacman fight

12. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

He is. Many boxing analysts rate him top 10 all-time and Emmanuel Steward just said he's up there with Robinson and Ali. He's been compared to Armstrong for the past year, who is widely considered top 5 all-time.

Mayweather has never fought a Pacquiao, but Pacquiao has never fought a Mayweather either. When Pacquiao did fight a great counterpuncher in Marquez, he lost more rounds than he won over the course of two fights. He's improved since then, but I'm of the belief that Mayweather does can do everything Marquez does but better.

Cotto got knocked down because he was throwing combinations in a crouch, leaving his chin out and with no glove to protect himself with. Mayweather hardly throws more than 1 punch at a time (which is not fan-pleasing, but effective) and keeps his chin tucked at all times. He always has a shoulder or right hand to block punches.

Mayweather's straight right hand is perfect for a southpaw and he has a better jab than Manny. His reach advantage would be very evident. However, Floyd was hurt by a right hook by Corley and hit by Judah's left crosses -- Pacquiao's best punches.

So like I said before, it's a 50/50 fight. Both guys have never faced anything like the other and both guys are supreme talents at or near their peak. I just don't buy that Pacquiao is unbeatable when we've already seen him arguably be beaten on two separate occasions by Marquez.

13. what

what Member

You can't be serious? Manny I can assure you does respect Mayweather's punching power one bit. Mayweather is simply a guy with speed and defense and no power and he makes his living off decisions.

If anything pac would press Mayweather more. If you think pac is going to simply circle around the ring with Mayweather you got another think coming.

It's not Pac's speed anyway, it is his punching angles that come from desparate positions. Manny has supreme balance and rythmn in the ring more than any fighter I've seen.

14. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

This is NOT the same Pacquiao from those Marquez fights. Manny is a great fighter at this weight, and he would knock Marquez out in 6 rounds if they fought again. I'm normally not this confident in Pacquiao, but it wrong be STUPID to compare the Pacquiao of old to the Pacquiao of today. Marquez/Pacquiao I was a draw, but people argue it both ways. A judge made a mistake in round 1(?) and did not credit Pacquiao for all of his knockdowns, otherwise it would have been Pacquiao by split. Marquez/Pacquiao II is debatable, and I could see how those who are fans of Mayweather would say Marquez won that fight.

However, I agree that it would be a 50/50 fight against Mayweather.

15. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Pacquiao is not going to be as aggressive with Mayweather. It will be a boring fight IMO, because Pac is not going to give Mayweather too many chances to hit him with counters.

16. what

what Member

I think it is all mute. Mayweather is too vain to fight Pac anyway.

You mentioned Marquez several times. I don't believe that Marquez fought the best he could have fought against Mayweather. Now you may say that's because of Mayweather's defense. But I say that Marquez didn't have the proper gameplan. He wasn't fighting his fight because he wanted to try to put on a show and come after Mayweather. Mayweather knew this played right into his hands. Marquez could have backed away and there would have been even less action. In the pac fights Marquez was fighting at his own weight, he was allowed to pick his spots and he has a good enough chin that he was able to battle pac.

Mayweather isn't going to see pac's punches because they aren't coming out of traditional stances, and Mayweather's jab? How about Cotto's jab? Manny will handle it, if they fight, which I still doubt.

17. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

I think Manny's as great as he's always been and it's remarkable that he's carried his greatness up to welterweight, but I don't believe his skillset has dramatically improved. People just don't realize how good Marquez was, so they think that Pacquiao has become a new fighter now that he's destroying his opposition. A fighter with Marquez's abilities at welterweight would still pose Pacquiao significant problems, and that fighter is Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

With all of that said, I understand if people think that Pacquiao has improved to a whole new level over the past year and a half. People are entitled to that opinion and Pac has done nothing but support that notion. That's part of what makes boxing fun to predict.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

19. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Member

who rated him as a top 10 of all-time boxer? maybe after the cotto fight, people will jump on the bandwagon and put him up there. i've see him rated top 50 of all time but never top 10. even before the cotto fight, i would arguably have put him in the top 10 of all time.

emanuel steward said that pacman is up there with robinson and ali? maybe he tired of being wrong after predicting that de la hoya, hatton and cotto would beat pacman.

i bet there will still be plenty of "experts" who will say that manny has to beat mayweather in order to prove that he is one of the greatest of all time. i honestly don't think people truly appreciate the feat he has accomplished by increasing his weight class so dramatically while still dominating the competition.

20. startah

startah Member

Great Win by Pacman 7 titles is not Easy fit to do especially in boxing.. and the one and only Manny Pacquiao has done it... Just great Boxing.. btw caught th interview after the match

Come On Bring On Mayweather!!!

"Larry Merchant: You gave him no mercy tonight.
    Pacman: I know. hehe."

:D