1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mannix] If Rox get Melo, Lebron could go to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 19, 2017.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I think that emoji is just automatically added to that hashtag line.

2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Nothing LeBron does is by accident.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Pipe dream unless a bunch of players decide they want to take a 50 percent pay cut.

bilaal14 likes this.
  4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The problem is that Melo loses his bird rights and we can only offer the tax payer MLE to him next year. That's a lot of money for him to leave on the table from what another team with cap space could offer. Ariza can go chill out in Cleveland from February to July and then we resign him next year for the tax payer MLE.

bilaal14 likes this.
  5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Both of our scenarios operate under the same basic assumption: LeBron will choose Houston as his destination in 2018.

However, your scenario goes on to deduce several more assumptions.
    1. Paul will take a massive pay cut from $36 million down to $9 million just for a season.
    2. Carmelo will also take a similar pay cut down to $9 million.
    3. LeBron would then also have to take a paycut from $40 million down to $25 million.
    4. Ariza will also sign for the veteran minimum.
    That's a lot of assumptions.

I would be willing to bet against Paul -- the union president -- taking a huge haircut after fighting for every penny in the last CBA, banana boat or not.

Also, in both our scenarios, Gordon and Tucker have to be traded. So why not kill two birds with one stone and package them with whatever else is needed for salaries to match LeBron?

Again, I'll reiterate the trade proposal one more time for clarity.

Cleveland trades:
    • LeBron James: $35,607,968 (opt-in)
    Houston trades:
    • Eric Gordon: $13,500,375
    • P.J. Tucker: $7,742,193
    • Clint Capela: $10 million (base year of $20 million salary)
    • Isaiah Taylor: $1,544,951 (team option)
    • Shawn Long: $1,544,951 (non-guaranteed)
    • Cameron Oliver: $1,378,242 (non-guaranteed)
    • Total: $35,710,712
    Lastly, my scenario is based on how we just acquired Paul. Once he made the commitment to Houston, Morey was able to work out a trade. The same can happen for LeBron if he tells Cleveland that he will leave for Houston.

This way:
    1. LeBron opts-in to his final year and still makes $35 million.
    2. Carmelo opts-in to his final year and still makes $27 million.
    3. Paul resigns and still makes $36 million.
    You and I can argue the merits of both scenarios, but often the right solution is the simplest one available with the least amount of variables and assumptions. Mine only requires one: LeBron chooses Houston.

bilaal14 and Jimmy Chitwood like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's not what I said.

LeBron max doesn't start at 40 million it's 36 million, what I proposed would open up his full max. I said I wouldn't be surprised if he took a pay cut, not that he needs to.

Ariza signing for a 1 year vet minimum would mean nothing as he could entirely make up his money in an overypay.

Yes it's assuming LeBron would want to come here, and that Anthony/Paul would each take a one year 25 million dollar pay cut each.

Paul's the only one who could theoretically be loosing money, as giving Melo his full max is something no other team would be willing to do, Melo would likely makeup a lot of the 25 million if not all of it.

Melo would get what on the open market? 25 mill per at max IMO, we can give him 3 years at a 38 mill per average.

Paul might be able to get a full max on the open market, so he'd be the only one taking a real hit. We can offer him a 4 year max afterwards that would be worth over 40 mill per on average. We could also make up his money after that contract ends.

I think everybody would get their money in the end, no one would mind a 1 year pay cut with the inevitable kickback.

jacoby and ghettocheeze like this.
  7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I got a boner watching this segment

bilaal14 likes this.
  8. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I think you are overlooking the argument I'm trying to make.

If LeBron does indeed decide to go with Houston like Paul just did this offseason, then why not trade for him in the same way?

Why go through all those paycuts, when there is a way like I just described in which everyone gets to keep their salaries?

No Chance likes this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The time for Lebron is now!!!

DonKnock likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's possible through a Clint Capela S&T, but that would be contingent on the Cavs wanting Clint at his new salary (they already have TT) and them willingly helping Lebron out by S&T him for little compensation in return. Those seem tough. Plus we'd loose Capela, who we'd really need.

Rockets may take a look at that, but they could probably get a pick back for Gordon, they can keep Capela, everyone would get their money in the end, and their would be no restrictions from the Cavs on Lebron joining the Rockets if done through FA.

bilaal14 and ghettocheeze like this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What about Tucker who turned down 3/33 (all guaranteed) to sign with Houston for 4/32 (with only 1 mill guaranteed in the 4th year).

That's a large pay cut he took just to sign here (especially if his last year gets waived, which looks likely considering his age), will we throw him under the buss? He hasn't made a lot of money over his career, and that was extremely likely his last big deal as well.

bilaal14 likes this.
  12. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

bilaal14 and DonKnock like this.
  13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

As weird it sounds, Cleveland might be better off trading Bron now and giving the keys to Kyrie and a third tier star like Love.

bilaal14, Bids9, gatsby and 1 other person like this.
  14. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The thing is after his "peculiar" comments about the Cavs this week, Kyrie might also be gone. He's an unrestricted free agent in 2020, but might just ask to be traded before that.

The Cavs run ends with LeBron leaving and then starting fresh all over again.

basketballholic likes this.
  15. gatsby

gatsby Member

Bump.

LeBron to Houston a real possibility THIS year.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We can nab Melo (24.56 M) + LeBron (30.96 M) = (55.52 M)

Gordon, Ariza, Anderson = (39.92 M)
    All our NGs = (6.6 M)

That's 48.82 M. I think we can take back max of 125% so that's 58.15 M we can take back. So money-wise it's possible...

That's assuming Melo does as he says and does away with his trade kicker. Gilbert seems hell bent on blowing it up and saving money; he got his ring.

CP3 - Harden - LeBron - Melo - Capela
    Scrub/Vet point guard-Tucker-MbahMoute-Zhou-Nene

bilaal14 and luckyman76 like this.
  17. saner-s88

saner-s88 Member

do you really want lebron?
    for what?
    that he left scorched earth after himself in 2-3 years?

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

For the championship that he left your so-called scorched Earth after himself in 2-3 years.

ghettocheeze and bilaal14 like this.
  19. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

I have no doubt Lebron is coming to Houston..... especially if Kyrie leaves.....and it could be sooner than later.... yule C
    Lol. No they will not be able to make that money up. You have any idea how this works or?????

20. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

With a championship or 2...... who cares after that.