1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Manning interested in Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by drewd17, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardpire

cardpire Member

why do people keep on assuming he will demand a huge contract? i guarantee that will not be the case.

i think it's possible that he'd take even less money than they are paying schaub, so in my opinion it increases our chances of retaining mario, myers, and brisiel (and reggie wayne), although i think mario is gone regardless. and we'd be adding a future 1st rounder for schaub.

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Texans are being brought up a lot on ESPN as a very suitable team for Manning but no word on Texans front office if they're interested.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mort on SC:

Serious contenders?

All the teams you've heard. Dolphins, Redskins, Seattle, KC, Arizona. I do believe the most interesting franchise would be the Texans. We have no indications that they're interested. They do have Matt Schaub, butt he is coming off injury and only has one year left on his deal. That is a team that will be popular pick to be in contention next year. That will be very important to Manning. A team that has a chance to win a super bowl.

#343 J.R., Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

This offseason is bout to be more interesting!

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Getting emails from friends around the country saying they're hearing Texans for Peyton over and over again....not that media speculation means anything.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Adam Schefter on Mike & Mike:

I think teams will be jockeying for position immediately. I think this process will move quickly. I think Peyton wants to get this wrapped up sooner rather than later. And my guess would be by the time FA starts Tuesday, that this is done by then and Peyton has a new home and new team and is off the market by then.

How significant in Peyton's decision do you think guaranteed money will be?

I dont think it will drive the decision at all. Money helps show interest in you but when it comes down to it for Peyton Manning, he is going to want to be in a spot in which he feels most confident he can win. Period. Any team that gets Manning, that team becomes an automatic contender for that division title and a super bowl contender in my mind.

Wild card team?

You have to watch, I dont think its feasible but, what happens in San Francisco with Smith? What happens with Denver? Kansas City may take a run at him. Sleeper teams like that but this boils down to 4 teams: Miami, Washington, Arizona, NY Jets. I believe he'll choose the place he believes gives him the best chance to win. Those are the 4 teams to monitor and watch.

Houston? I know they have Schaub but he has a history of being injury prone and only has 1 year left. If they call me, thats the first call I'm answering.

That's a great outside the box thought. If I were the Texans, I would say, ok let me shop Matt Schaub. Matt Schaub worked with Kyle Shanahan in Houston, Shanahan, the Redskins OC. Let me see if I can get a deal done with Peyton, and trade Schaub to Washington for a couple of twos, which is what you gave up for him. Maybe get a first round pick for him. To me, thats an outside the box thought. Thats the way New York Jets should think. Trade Mark Sanchez to someone like Pete Carroll, his college coach, for a one, two twos, you pick the compensation. Now you've loaded up on picks and get Peyton Manning at QB. But its not going to happen in Houston. The Texans will not be a player as much sense as that might make. That will not happen. Take them out of the equation. Take Tennessee out of the equation. Take teams that there is some logic to that wont work in this particular case and come back to the four teams we laid out. Miami, Washington, Jets, Arizona. Each team can make a compelling argument but it will be fascinating to see how this turns down to go after a QB, from every indication of people who work out with him, that believe hes back. That hes Peyton Manning and he is on the market. You can get him for free. Not like RG3 where you trade up picks.

Just reiterated a bunch of the same on Sportscenter.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This may all be academic because aren't the Texans only about $5M under the cap after signing Foster? I swear I heard this on SportsTalk 790 a couple of days ago.

8. MadMax

yeah, on 790 this morning, Lance was saying we might not have enough to bring back Chris Meyers, so the talk about Peyton was absurd.

9. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Don't let facts get in the way of speculations.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Lance Z has never ever ever been wrong, which is especially impressive since we have no idea how much Manning will ask for!

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I wonder why San Francisco is never mentioned. I guess Harbaugh doesn't want Manning calling any shots.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

He's actually happy with Alex Smith's progress as a game manager last year. I'd like to see Manning here personally, but given SF was like a muffed kick away from the Super Bowl, I understand Harbaugh's thinking.

I guess the plan is to beef up the WR spot this offseason.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It would be exciting to see him go to Minny and have the AP-Gunslinger tandem again.

If he's healthy and the team's defense improves they would be a scary team again.

14. Lurker2

Lurker2 Member

Kubiak <3 Schaub

With Kubiak at the helm, we keep Schaub as the starter... that being said, they both need to go :rolleyes:

And if I hear that Schaub is a top 10 QB one more time.... I don't know what Ill do!

15. MadMax

No, he could absolutely be wrong. I just wonder how much the Texans would have to gut to sign Manning. No idea what he'd ask for.

I have to say...I'd be absolutely shocked if they signed him...and I'd be surprised to find out they even pursued it. It just seems a bit out of character for the Texans.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

what does he not understand about the money that would be freed up when schaub is traded (which is what would happen in conjunction with signing manning)?

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Schaub is a top 10 QB.

18. MadMax

do we know what his number is for this season?

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

think it's 9mm. could be wrong.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

According to sportrac.com, his cap hit is $8.3 million.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.