1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Manning, bad sportsmanship?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by FLASH21, Feb 8, 2010.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I know people rag on LeBron all the time for not shaking hands with the Magic players & coaches once losing to them in the Eastern Conference Finals, but if Manning snubs the Saints at the Super Bowl does that not constitute the same ridicule?

I'd say so...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...orms-off-Super-Bowl-field-Is-h?urn=nfl,218314

Shutdown Corner Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:25 pm EST

Peyton Manning storms off Super Bowl field. Is he a poor sport?By Chris Chase

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think its a classy thing to do, of course nobody here knows what its like to be considered the best player in the entire world and then lose.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hey at least Peyton called Brees. Did LeBron do the same? I don't know. And Peyton is right, it was the Saints and Brees time to celebrate, they won. Ehh, can't really complain. He called him and probably said great game, etc, etc. Better late than never right? No complaints from me.

4. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

article is just cutting Peyton some BS..if he were indeed the NFL's Greatest Player, he would've congratulated Brees...what kind of excuse is wanting to win the game so much that you walk off?? Do other losing quarterbacks not want it as much? Poor sportsmanship, indeed.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Manning gets caught up in the moment, like when he blamed his offensive line for the loss to pittsbugh in Jan 06 in the press conference

6. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Manning was just mad at the outcome. After all, he did call him that night. I don't think it's bad sportsmanship.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Eh, If I were an athlete, I feel like I would always be on the field shaking hands...after all, its just a game.

But, I can understand when players dont do it. Manning is ultra competitive too...and he pulled a major choke job there at the end of the game (think Matt Schaub versus the Cardinals, times 100). I can see why he'd be furious...staying on the field with anger is probably not a good thing.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Or when his idiot kicker gets liquored up and starts talking **** :)

9. updawg

updawg Member

I was listening to Dan Neil (former Longhorn, Bronco) on the radio here in Austin this morning. He was defending Peyton and saying its pretty much impossible to go shake someones hands after the superbowl. so many people are on the field, family, media. Its not like a regular game.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

When its the world series, nba finals, or superbowl, I think shaking hands is actually really uncommon.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

exactly.

it's a madhouse circus out there.

no reason to even bother.

let the winning team have their spotlight.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Very true.

I think the coaches still do acknowledge one another, but rarely do you ever see the players cavorting around with the opposition after losing the biggest game most of them will ever play in.

Especially in that kind of moment and atmosphere.

13. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

I'm guessing Drew Brees didn't mind that much.

14. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Agreed. I think embarrassment also plays a role. With all the hype Peyton generates and the way he lost the game...can't feel good for a four time MVP. I still think you man up and congratulate the winning team ("shake hands"), if nothing more than to set a good example.

#14 tmoney1101, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Very much ado about absolutely nothing. The field is a madhouse the second the final gun goes off.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Its kind of an awkward thing to have to do. Sort through 1000 screaming fans just to "keep up the sportsmanship" after losing a championship game.

I don't even like to lose a game of checkers, so I cannot even imagine the emotions involved there.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I fully agree. There's nothing wrong with a losing team quietly slipping off the field. It does not take away from the winning team's glory or their celebration.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Jim Caldwell gave a pretty upbeat speech after getting his ass handed to him by Sean Payton.

If anybody should be embarrased it should be Caldwell.

Not like he was the one who ****ed up anything that bad, his one terrible decision (Sending 98 year old Matt Stover out to try a 51 yard FG in an outdoor stadium) was just magnified by 100 because of the 20 pound brass balls Sean Payton happens to be packing.

1 person likes this.
  19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Crazy thing is that Stover nearly hit it. I was expecting it to fall a good 5 to 10 yards short. Stover has never been known for much power (not recently anyway). Still doesn't make it a good decision, but Caldwell almost got lucky.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It was a terrible call even if Stover hits it whereas Payton's call was pretty much genius even if the Saints had somehow screwed up a perfectly executed onside kick that took the return team completely by surprise. I think if it would have been 4th and less than 7 yards he would have gone for it, but it happened to be 4th and 11, so thats a really tough call OH WAIT I CAN AT LEAST PIN BREES INSIDE THE 10 INSTEAD OF VIRTUALLY TAKING A KNEE ON 4TH AND 11 BECAUSE MY KICKER DOESN'T HAVE A PRAYER OF HITTING THIS.

But maybe I'm being a bit too harsh on the guy, he is still a n00b.