1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mandela Dies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CometsWin, Dec 5, 2013.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Interesting take!

Fame and popularity are not a reliable source in determining the true worth of a man, and the amount of post's , be it great or dismal with NEVER take away from the hard work and dedication that he gave towards bringing South Africa out of apartheid. The world lost a great man today, whether people acknowledge it doesn't take away from this fact!

R.I.P President Nelson Mandela

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Thought I should clarify what I wrote and especially after looking at tweets from a section of people from other countries. I am wrong in stating most of the comments read are from Americans as I've seen some horrible comments from people from other European countries.

Either way, the man damn sure wasn't a complete saint nor was he a total sinner.

It would be nice if people could just be respectful of the deceased but I guess that's the society and world we live in.

3. ILoveWhiteGirls

I knew some troll was going to compare this to a celebrity. How do you know people won't buy books or watch films about him? The fock is wrong with you?

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

RIP.

Greatest leader of the 20th century.

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

He was listed as one by the US government and not allowed to travel to the US until 2008.

Mandela taken off US terror list

Nelson Mandela was South Africa's first post-apartheid-era president

US President George W Bush has signed a bill removing Nelson Mandela and South African leaders from the US terror watch list, officials say.

Mr Mandela and ANC party members will now be able to visit the US without a waiver from the secretary of state.

The African National Congress (ANC) was designated as a terrorist organisation by South Africa's old apartheid regime.

A US senator said the new legislation was a step towards removing the "shame of dishonouring this great leader".

'Rather embarrassing'

Under the legislation, members of the ANC could travel to the United Nations headquarters in New York but not to Washington DC or other parts of the United States.

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice had called the restrictions a "rather embarrassing matter that I still have to waive in my own counterpart, the foreign minister of South Africa, not to mention the great leader Nelson Mandela."

South Africa's apartheid government banned the ANC in 1960, imprisoning or forcing into exile its leaders.

Mr Mandela, who turns 90 this month, was released in 1990 after spending 27 years in prison.

He then became the country's first post-apartheid-era president, before retiring after serving one term in office.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What a remarkable life. Considering what he went through, it's amazing that he lived to be 95. Rest in peace, Mr. Mandela. One of the great figures of the 20th century.

7. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

RIP Brother Mandela

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

9. dragician

dragician Member

I'm sure he's peaceful now....

10. dragician

dragician Member

there's gazillion threads here about Mandela.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5Zh8otC-c3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. moose

moose Member

RIP to a global Hero.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MePCZ_hw9lM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he does have a point. And if history is any indication consider that Mother Theresa died within a week of Princess Di yet the outpouring of grief and attention was greater for Princess Di than for Mother Theresa.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Thread title should read -- Mandela Lived -- one of the greatest of men.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like clockwork when these things happen, Commodore can't help himself when Dr. Pavlov rings the bell. Seriously man, get your Obama rocks off in the D&D.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

RIP Mandela, he was such a great man, that helped the world!

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

RIP, one of the greatest that ever lived

20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Le sigh! Detroit.