1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man...We got unlucky with Jabari Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Jul 9, 2022.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dunno man I like Jabari more than Chet. Chet had that 1 god game and then looked like he needs a 1 week break to recover.

Jabari is built like a prime specimen, he is in the Giannis/Lebron mode body type wise. He gonna have a long career in the league look at Ivey man somebody gets close and he out the rest of game and prob SL.

seeingredtx and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Ivey is a average shooter and he is casual on defense…

roslolian likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Someone needs to start The Jabari Smith Experience.

These trolls are food for those threads.

4. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

i3ari i3aller

BamBam likes this.
  5. bmelo

bmelo Member

Lol casual... He played better defense at 19 than Wood would be capable of if he trained only defense his whole life. He put clamps on Chet, had like 4 steals 3 blocks 9 rebounds shot wasn't falling but if that brother gets looks off the Jalen and Sengun he gonna casually hit 15 per game while our best defender

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nothing is definitive after two summer league games of course and we don't know how their career will pan out, but I think many are turning a bit ingenuine here when saying it's just based on two summer league games and a total overreaction.

People like me and jiggyfly etc got totally blasted when we warned about Jabari's shortcomings, which we saw after evaluating a majority of his NCAA games (not just misleading highlight mixes).
    Even if he hit a high percentage, one could always see that the vast majority of his shot selection in college was really bad and he extremely struggled to create separation.

So even though it's just summer league atm, those issues for Jabari will persist and on nights where he won't hit his jumpshots well, he has nearly nothing else to score or create for the team on offense.

Of course he can improve on all that, but that will take time and the criticism is valid.

jiggyfly, shakes05, mario_v and 2 others like this.
  7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm sorry...but what?! :confused:

When guarded straight up by Keegan, Paolo scored 4 points on 2 for 7 shooting with 1 assist and 3 turnovers. Keegan committed one foul to prevent a breakaway layup after his point guard threw a pick six at half court.

When guarded by Jabari, Paolo scored 6 points on 2 for 5 shooting with 1 assist and no turnovers. No fouls committed.

Both did well, but Murray was better.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Of course you are gonna get blasted, you and jiggyfly kept talking about ballhandling like it's the difference between role player and superstar.

Doesnt Chet Holmgren have handles? How come he shot worse than Jabari from the field? How come Chet cant get that separation you are talking about?

What Jabari has shown tonight is y'all are wrong, he is worthy of top 3 pick cuz even when his shot isnt falling he will scrap hard and help his team win via cleaning the boards, getting steals, blocks, loose balls etc. He was a major player tonight esp in the closing mins shot or no shot. So that lack of ball handling is a non factor, he is BPA at no 3 regardless.

There's more to the game than ballhandling. Everyone in OKC can handle the ball who won the game?

#128 roslolian, Jul 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    Drift Monkey and clutchdabear like this.
  9. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

like you said, i would much rather have someone who can draw the attention of the defense on the offensive end and spread the floor, and then on defense will also dig down deep, get dirty and play great defense in the playoffs rather than some guy who will be routinely exposed on a switch and become unplayable in a high pressure situation.

we're looking for players to build the foundation for a championship team. if not, why even bother?

Drift Monkey, Cstyle42 and bmelo like this.
  10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not sure you even read my posts on him if you think I said he wasn't BPA at 3 or would be bad in the NBA.
    Literally nothing you say about his game on defense is anything I dismissed, neither did I say he couldn't be an impact player with his current jumpshooting-heavy offense, I even said it would be alright for the NBA, just that it lowers his floor&ceiling if it stays like this.

ClutchCityReturns and jiggyfly like this.
  11. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

12. Le$$

Le$$ Member

19 years old? 2 meaning less pick up games? lol

Say less bro.

13. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

This part is incorrect. He will create gravity and spacing regardless of whether his jump shot is falling that night, because intelligent teams know that the shooting percentage night to night is random, and the next one is still 40% likely to go in.

If you recall from the first 20 games last year, spacing for Green and KPJ to score 20+ is just as important as the PF’s shot itself on any given night.

clutchdabear and Drift Monkey like this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Drift Monkey and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  15. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

I wanted Ivey but pumped that we landed Jabari. He is going to be a stud. I'll avoid the hyper critical takes after two summer league games. Kid is a two way player and will fit in nicely with our other core players..Green/Sengun/Eason. We got a good one, y'all need to relax.

Drift Monkey and conquistador#11 like this.
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yes, but I hope a top3 pick in a draft will be able to provide more on offense in upcoming years.

Not saying Jabari isn't a good piece and will provide wins, just think it was a pretty weak draft at the top if the third pick (and by some predicted #1) is that much of a niche guy on offense at his current level and on a bad shooting night only provides you with some spacing offense-wise.

And seeing all of his NCAA tape and shot selection, I think he'll have a lot of those nights due to the way he plays.

17. Le$$

Le$$ Member

CB4 had only 11 points 4 rebs in first ever regular season game, i bet there fans didnt do this to him.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U put way too much stock into Smith's offense or "lack of". Man's a complete package, can provide offense and elite D
    His defense will shine especially in playoffs.
    His offense even if it goes cold, we shouldn't expect him to carry the offensive load, that's Green/kpj role.

Just watching his defensive highlights for this game, man is gonna b good. Any pts offered on offense is welcome.
    Not all 3rd picks in the draft are created equal. I don't expect Smith to go shoot 20 pts and provide elite defense every game, as long as he provides defense and enough offense to get us Dubs, i am satisfied.

#138 DatRocketFan, Jul 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    Drift Monkey likes this.
  19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I think Jabari will be Ok. This last game showed that he is up for the competition,the rest of his game will come around slowly playing with better players.

20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I forgot how stupid ClutchFans amateurs can be

Drift Monkey likes this.