1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man...We got unlucky with Jabari Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Smith had some decent drives in summer league. You could tell it wasn't natural and the muscle memory wasnt really there but his length should help. The only odd thing is hoemw awkward it looks when he goes to accelerate.

BallSoHarden and apollo33 like this.
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Lewis plays like a SF. He was also a liability and a bit soft on defense.

Kevin Garnett would just bully the **** out of him everytime they played each other.

Smith moves and defends like a true PF, it just happens that he has a jumpshot. I actually don't see too many similarities between them

TheJuice likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

worst case Smith is JJJr with an elite 3 point shot…that is a win

D-rock, Tuckmose and RocketsTerps like this.
  4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Smith reminds me of Larry Nance from Cleveland. Nance was a 3 times ALL STAR and ALL DEFENSIVE PLAYER. Both Smith and Nance are athletic but not a ultra athletic players like Kevin Garnett and both can shoot from outside.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He will be better longterm. Skill, work ethic and being coachable with the right intangibles... that will go a long way. Championship minded!

D-rock, Dacamel and javal_lon like this.
  6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I don't really see the offensive skill yet, but I think he'll be averaging double digit points from the get go if he runs the floor... . If his main attribute offensively will be shooting open 3s, it's gonna be a painful couple of years...

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What makes you say that?

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  8. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Here's another fact: Jabari Smith is not our best rookie on our team. Tari Eason will have a better NBA career than Jabari....Summer League proved that

9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

LOL so basing entire NBA career now based on a few summer league games? Tari looked good, but to definitively say this at this point is crazy.

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I freaking love Tari Eason, but I am not sure how someone could watch those SL games and come away with those opinions.

I was courtside, and Jabari is on an entirely different plane of talented existence.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

I love Tari and said he was key to this draft.

But SL proves zip.

Bari N Tari will both be high impact 2 way players.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Dude obviously needs work. Almost like a 2 yr project I thought Mobley needed.

Hopefully it clicks midseason and we have something to build on like Green's late season push.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I mean... come on!

Let's say his main thing is just shooting 3s. He basically has a Rashard Lewis career, but with superb defence. Rashard had back to back to back seasons of 20+ppg. Yeah, that's not a star, but might get you to fringe all star level (if you were pick 3). Didn't Rashard play 2 all-star games?

I think there is more to Smith than that - but let's wait and see.
    I'm also happy if he gets 12-7 in his rookie season, I'd see that as a decent start, especially if he was able to start scoring on the dribble drive late in the season. He might do better, one never knows?

TheJuice likes this.
  14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Fact? Lmao.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok and?

I already said Smith was the better defender but RL was better overall offensively.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

JJJr is much better at the rim and Smith is nowhere near the rim protector but he is much better at perimeter defense.

I see JJJr being his ceiling unless he can shoot 3's at plus 40% on 5 attempts, very doable but they will still be comparable players.

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Jabari Smith’s defensive potential is unlimited.

He could be Kevin Garnett down there mixed with Shane Battier on the perimeter. I refuse to put a ceiling on him.

If he makes a few more shots in SL, this Rashard Lewis talk becomes 6-11 Klay Thompson talk…

D-rock likes this.
  18. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Who are these goofs saying Rashard Lewis is better or JJJ is better? Better than what? Compared to what? Summer league? Such dumbass commentary from the bleachers. Check back with us after the NBA SEASON! then we can compare the first year numbers of aforementioned players...otherwise wtf are you really comparing?

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Relative to what? Lewis shot 16% from 3 his rookie year and 2.4 ppg. Are you saying Lewis is better than Jabari at the same age or are you saying Lewis is better than Jabari will ever be on offense?

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That is an opinion. This is a fact; you will not be creating threads any time soon. See the difference?