1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man vs Food

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox_fan_here, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

is one of my guilty pleasures. Does anyone else like this show?

I know its been running for a couple of seasons now. (I tried to find a thread on it but came up empty) Usually if I am traveling to a new city, I check to see the website to see if Adam has been there so I can hit up some of the great local spots they highlight on the show. I still have never entered the challenges but the food in all of these places has been damn good. (If you don't mind the artery clogging aspect of it).

I still cannot believe that haven't done a Houston show. What are some great Houston food challenges that could be featured on this show?

2. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

The most amazing one he did I can remember was he went to an italian joint and had a huge bowl of salad for appetizer, half loaf of bread, then like 6 main course meals (spaghetti meatballs, lasagna, baked ziti, other stuff)

i might could do salad/bread/ and maybe one dish. pretty crazy. He will die soon.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This is the only place I've been to that's been on the show. It's an awesome place, though. Also featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ddaqq788Lfg?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ddaqq788Lfg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

4. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

I saw that one last night! That was nuts, but he never finished - food won. I was talking to my wife about the fact that I feel bad for him sometimes because you know that his job is killing him. I'm still amazed that he isn't pushing 400lbs by now although you can tell it has taken its toll. He definitely has gained weight every season.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

It's not like he eats like that every day. I don't know how often they film this show, but I'm sure it is spread apart so that he is not just OD'ing on food.

That said, he's certainly not helping to prolong his life. Ha

6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I've heard he's pretty much a vegetarian in the off season. I found this story on him.

-One episode is taped over a period of days - When you watch an episode, it appears that Adam is eating all of that food in one day. I think that would be too much for anyone! It takes between 4 to 6 days to film one episode so he gets some rest time between those meals.

-He eats healthy in the off-season - Adam tries to limit any indulgences and eats a lot of vegetables, chicken, fish, and egg whites. He also avoids beer and brown liquors. He states "And yeah, I find that generally speaking, I almost go completely vegetarian when I’m home. It’s like from the show, when we come off the road all of us go completely vegetarian from the time we get home."

-He works out - Having a job where you get to eat food that is high in calories, fat, and cholesterol means you have to workout to keep the weight off. Adam focuses on physical fitness in the off-season: "I work out with a personal trainer, I stay super, super hydrated."

1 person likes this.
  7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I don't know if you've seen the most recent one, where he's getting regular folks to do the challenges, but he's packed on a lot of weight.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I ate at a place in Seattle that was on the show. It was called Beth's Cafe and featured a 12-egg omelet + 1 lb of hashbrowns. It was delicious, but I couldn't finish it. I had like 2 eggs left and pretty much all the hashbrowns.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i'm in the beginning stages of planning a road trip where i hit a lot of his stops. we have to go to illinois next may for a wedding, so we are going to expand our trip to include chicago and michigan (wife from there), so we can hit quite a few cities on the way there and back without going all that far out of the way (little rock, st. louis, springfield, chicago, detroit, pittsburgh, columbus, nashville, memphis, new orleans).

i've eaten at all the austin places and two of the places in albuquerque. i think that's it.

10. REA

REA Contributing Member

He actually stopped by one of my fav eateries and from the waiters present at the time told me that to prepare for the challenges, he starves himself for a few days prior :mad:, painful to watch the show sometimes but must be painful to prep for the challenges also. Glad he's getting other ppl to do the challenges to ease up a bit on the food.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Love that show and Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations.

During the NFL/NBA lockouts, those were the shows that kept me alive... :)

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

where?

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

He doesn't even do Man vs. Food though anymore...it's Man vs. Food Nation. I think all that food was catching up to him. Despite that he may diet in the offseason and works out, you can clearly see him getting bigger.

14. REA

REA Contributing Member

Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse in Dallas.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i don't remember a dallas episode! has it aired yet?

btw, i used to eat the frito pie every thursday when i lived in dallas. :drool:

16. REA

REA Contributing Member

I don't think it was an episode or going to be an episode, he just stopped by, ate and chatted. Fun story we started talking about the guy after the waiter saw us looking at the photo of Julia Child eating there. It was like "Julia Child was here before but you know who else was here, the guy from Man vs. Food" and somehow Julia Child was just an afterthought after that lol.

haha it's thursday now, dang you tempted me to go and get that for dinner for the family. Glad/Hate it's 2 miles away.

#16 REA, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  17. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

[​IMG]

my place is in an event he's hosting at ^

18. Asian Sensation

I wouldn't be surprised if he DID eat like that every day. Judging by his looks it's certainly possible. Also, he probably has to eat like that to build up a tolerance.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I used to watch the shows a lot, but then I got bored with watching him stuff himself. This is why I don't really ever get tired of Anthony Bourdain's show - it's more than a guy scarfing down food.

I haven't watched any of the episodes since it turned into "Food Nation".

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I used to love the show. But it got boring after watching too many episodes. Most of the food are more of the same.

Epic meal time is my choice now, it's more epic and has more bacon.