1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man Things you can't do (or can't do well)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

He's so manly he just throws the bullets at his target.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Still can't be manlier than this guy:

The world’s deadliest sniper: Simo Häyhä

With at least 505 confirmed kills during the Winter War of 1939–40 between Finland and the Soviet Union, Simo Häyhä (1905–2002) has been labelled the deadliest sniper in history. Here, Tapio Saarelainen shares the story of the Finnish sniper and how he achieved his nickname 'White Death'...

[​IMG]

According to an American study, an average of 7,000 rifle-caliber shots were required to achieve one combat kill during the First World War. During the Vietnam War this number had increased to more than 25,000. So, for Simo Häyhä’s more than 505 kills, more than 13,550,000 bullets would have been needed in Vietnam. He remains the deadliest sniper who ever lived.

Who was Simo Häyhä?

Simo Häyhä was born on 17 December 1905 to Juho and Katriina (née Vilkko) Häyhä in the hamlet of Kiiskinen in Rautjärvi municipality. This area was in the old Finnish region of Karelia, which is now Russian territory. He was a farmer by profession and enjoyed several different hobbies, including snow-skiing, hunting and shooting.

Häyhä fought for Finland against the Soviet Union in what history refers to as the ‘Winter War’, the conflict that occurred in the winter of 1939–40. The Winter War broke out when he was 33 years old and on 17 December 1939, he celebrated his 34th birthday on the Kollaa battlefield. He served a total of 98 days with 6th Battalion, Infantry Regiment 34. The war lasted only 105 days, but Simo Häyhä did not see its end – he was wounded and hospitalised during the last week of the conflict.

During his 98-day reign of terror, Häyhä was unseen and unheard, yet was all the while targeting Russian soldiers with deadly accuracy, once even killing 25 men in one day. With snipers presenting such a high-value targets on the battlefield, Simo’s reputation as a marksman soon reached the Russian front lines; they referred to him as “The White Death”.

[​IMG]

Häyhä shows his method of shooting from a covered foxhole. Note the way he has placed his gloves; they are used to reduce the jolt of the weapon. The supporting hand is behind the trigger guard to give the best possible position. (© Tapio Saarelainen)

On one occasion, after Häyhä had once again killed an enemy sniper with a single shot, the Russians in turn tried to kill him by shooting indirect fire, a mortar bombardment, at the vicinity of his firing position. Incredibly, Häyhä was not wounded or killed, making it out without a scratch. On another occasion, an artillery shell landed near his firing position and tore apart the back of his greatcoat; Häyhä survived this with only a minor scratch to his back.

Yet for a soldier who spent so much time on the front line, Häyhä reported that he was never scared. He treated his job like he treated hunting and was always thinking of new ways to remain hidden and fool the enemy. He developed clever techniques, such as pouring water into the snow in front of him so that the muzzle blast would not expose his location by disturbing the light snow. He also became a master of using sounds, smoke and artillery fire to cover his movements when changing positions. With maps very scarce during the war, Häyhä relied on his memory to find the best hiding positions.

His gun was an M/28-30, one that he had owned before the war, without even a telescopic sight. It was a basic weapon, but one that he had mastered through years of experience
    Preparation and tactics
    Häyhä’s skill was compounded by his extensive preparations for shooting. During the night, he would often visit his ‘favourite’ firing positions, making whatever preparations and improvements he felt necessary. His behaviour might be described as obsessive because of his dedication to the job at hand: he would clean his weapon much more often than most soldiers; and perform both maintenance operations before and after a completing a mission. Especially in the -20°C temperatures of the Finnish winter, proper gun maintenance was essential to avoid it jamming.

His gun was an M/28-30, one that he had owned before the war, without even a telescopic sight. This rifle was the standard issued one for Finnish infantry in the late 1930s and Häyhä preferred the reliability of the model and the consistency of its shot. It was a basic weapon, but one that he had mastered through years of experience. His weapon was ‘zeroed’ [the sights adjusted] for 150 metres, the most common combat distance of the time, which enabled him to rapidly adjust to the proper setting as needed.

[​IMG]

Häyhä checks the balance and the sights of his rifle from the standing position. (© Tapio Saarelainen)

One strange myth that surrounds snipers is that they would climb trees to shoot the enemy. Häyhä would laugh when asked about this. Not only would it make it far more difficult to keep a steady aim at the enemy, but if he was ever discovered he would have no escape route. Instead, Häyhä used overhanging branches for cover, which provided better protection and allowed him to keep a steady aim.

Häyhä’s skills had been developed from his youth which was spent very close to nature, going on regular hunting trips in the forests. He had often hunted timid birds in clearings and pine forests, birds which reacted to even the slightest sound, reflection or sudden movement. As a hunter, when everything depends on the situation, target and terrain, Häyhä would have needed sharp vision and the ability to spot and recognise targets. There are no foolproof methods in hunting, as each situation and condition is unique.

Häyhä knew that when a hunter shoots at his target, he must be able to observe the impact, as any game will try to escape if the first shot is not lethal, unless the game is injured beyond movement. Any animal will try to defend itself until dead or unable to move; this grim reality also applies to humans on the battlefield. Häyhä’s hunting experiences taught him was how to read and use the terrain and he was the ultimate master in exploiting the terrain of the battlefield to his advantage.

3. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I used to practice holding my breath in the pool when I was a kid. I want to say I could easily do a minute, minute & a half if I didn't exert myself too much (which I know is nothing compared to what many can do). I have a feeling today I might make it twenty seconds underwater before I would die. Maybe not even that long.

The few "manly" and extreme type things I've done over the years I picked up fairly easily. As such, most didn't and don't impress me to this day. The list of manly things I can do is pretty short, though, I won't lie. And it seems to be growing shorter every day...

Xerobull likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hä hä that is so fake.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He was only a few days away from retirement. :(

Xerobull likes this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

You lost me at reach around.

Not that type of man.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I would say I can't do the vast majority of things well, in general

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I pay people for home maintenance including simple things like caulking and painting.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Nah. I'm not David Tubb and I'm almost legally blind.

Xerobull likes this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The dude completely real. The Russians thought he was multiple people.

Xerobull likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

Don't try to hä hä me okay guy.

ROCKSS, Xerobull and rockbox like this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Your mom does too.

Nook likes this.
  13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess? She is old.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I seriously recommend at least learning to check the oil and make sure the oil filter is changed (inspect the air filter too) - if you don't want to do it etc.. not saying you can't but for anyone else - ie don't rely on the oil light unless you know what you're doing.

Like this last year, had a family friend's kid bring their car by for me to fix it... And - the oil shop removed the oil, didn't change the oil filter and then didn't add oil.... His 4 cylinder engine had so much slop in the timing chain etc from no oil pressure - it sounded like a diesel driving up. - the kid's like - "so you want to test drive it so you can get an idea and fix it?" - I said "no, just turn it off now - I can tell you either have major engine issues or no oil!". I told him and his parents (my friends) to sue, but they didn't - perfectly good engine lasted another 6 months. I let them know I can rebuild/replace the engine but unless it's a classic/special car it's not worth it.

15. KingCheetah

I do everything top shelf -- no need for well.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don’t know about that, but I love them. Haven’t owned a four speed in a long time, but have thought about getting a used Miata just for cruising around the Hill Country for fun. Guess that would be a 6 speed. Nothing to it.

CCity Zero likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

Driving a manual is a great part of a Sunday drive in Central Texas.

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I really miss it. Hell of a lot better than reading a manual. ;-)

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I know the new automatics in sports cars are replacing manual transmissions but.... As long as I can get gas and it's a sports car that had the manual option - I'm going to opt for the manual. I can repair automatic transmissions - but manuals are a lot easier to fix and more fun to drive.

I mean - I won't care about luxury when I'm driving a nicely restored sports car on an open road. And the way this thread is sounding - in a few more years it'll basically be theft proof, haha, jk

boomboom and KingCheetah like this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

You should just do it, I'm definitely getting something sooner than later. I mean I see those bikers having a hell of a lot of fun riding through the hill country, I just wish bikes were safer - I miss riding a motorcycle, but at least in a car I feel a little safer, I'm also not going to be doing some of the crazy stuff some of those guys do while riding in the hills - I'll save that for a COTA weekend/other track driving, assuming the car I get is worth renting some time there.

Deckard likes this.