1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man sues McDonalds for $1.5 MILLION over a napkin..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davidio840, Mar 3, 2014.

1. davidio840

davidio840 Member

Don't forget the singer who sued them claiming their chicken sandwich ruined her voice LOL

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Untrue.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Poor billion dollar company barely scraping along. Lol

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Seriously, they should throw the guy in jail for starting such a frivolous scam of a lawsuit.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Funny things is, when I worked the salad bar at college in the early 90's, the one thing that was the most work was replacing the napkins in the napkin dispenser. It really as annoying how fast the napkins would go.

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Member

again as i say in all sue threads

when in america

SUESUESUE

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

Do you have any clue how franchises work? I'm guessing not.

Franchisees own and operate more than 90% of all 14,000+ McDonald's stores. Most of those franchisees pay upwards of $300,000 a year just on rent, then they pay about 15-18% in royalty fees. They only average $2.5 million in sales each yeah, but that median is greatly skewed as many are severely under-performing while many over perform. In 2009 the highest grossing was more than $9 million while the lowest was just $460,000. Their profit margin is 10% at most, and that doesn't take in to countless other costs.

Long story short, when you sue a franchisee you aren't suing McDonald's, you are suing a small business owner.

8. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I can't wait until the Hunger Games is real.

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

Yeah no. McDonald's, BK, Wendy's etc are every bit as pricey as Chick Fil A these days. $6-7 is also about the same for a combo at McDonald's.

10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

Tossing the racism accusations to the side for being frivolous...
    I see the complaint about the napkins.

Funnily enough, I think McDonald's are as generous as it gets when it comes to Fast Food restaurants.

NO PLACE is stingier than Wendy's!!!
    It makes me want to punch a wall. I would sue Wendy's if I could come up with suitable grounds for a lawsuit.

They place ONE, 1, ONE napkin in the bag of food EVERY DAMN TIME. You name the city with a Wendy's, they do the same thing. Dallas, Houston, Miami, Chicago, all the same thing.

Oh not just napkins. Ketchup and barbecue sauce as well.

How the F*&k are you going to give me an order of chicken nuggets and not give me any barbecue sauce? Or even ask if the customer wants barbecue sauce? Nope. They want you to let them know if you want ketchup or barbecue sauce when you get up to the drive thru window.

Naw, we(customers) are cool, we don't need ketchup for our fries or barbecue sauce for our chicken nuggets. We're just gonna go home and get out some Prego to dip our fries or sauce in! GTFOH Wendy's. UGH!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Don't even want to think about that bloody place or I might break something.

11. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Why McDonald's franchisees are simmering
    The independent business owners complain that steadily rising rents and fees the company charges have gotten too high.
    By Jonathan Berr Aug 7, 2013 2:54PM
    Share1.1k

inShare
    File photo of a McDonald's restaurant in Suffolk, England (© Geography Photos/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)There's trouble under the Golden Arches.

According to Bloomberg News, McDonald's (MCD -0.87%) is facing a "brewing franchisee revolt" because the burger chain has increased fees and costs that the independent business owners pay, such as rent, software and remodeling. Not surprisingly, rising expenses are discouraging franchisees, who operate about 90% of the chain's U.S. locations, from opening new restaurants or refurbishing existing ones, the news service says.

The operators say McDonald's has been squeezing them for a while as its overall business stagnated. Bloomberg noted that the revenue, including rent and fees, McDonald's took in from franchised stores has risen an average of 8% during the past five years, double the 4% increase in total revenue during the same time.

Operators have felt that impact their bottom lines.

Some franchisees are paying 12% of their sales in rent, an increase from the historic levels of 8.5%. Since U.S. McDonald's locations on average net about $2.5 million in annual sales, operators who recently renewed leases are paying an average of $300,000 under the new rate, a steep increase from the $212,500 under the previous rate. Not surprisingly, franchisees want McDonald's to roll back fees to the old rate.

Remodeling a McDonald's costs about $800,000, more than twice as expensive as the $300,000 rival Burger King (BKW -0.19%) charges its franchisees. It also tops the $375,000 Wendy's (WEN -2.40%) expects to charge for its least-expensive model, according to Bloomberg News

And that's not all.

Operator Kathryn Slater-Carter told the news service that McDonald's has tacked on an additional $10,400 per store (she owns two) in annual costs for Wi-Fi, software and employee training costs in the past five years.

Franchisee discontent is the last thing McDonald's needs in the wake of its recent disappointing earnings report, which has prompted many on Wall Street to worry about its growth prospects. CEO Don Thompson has said that the rest of 2013 "will remain challenged."

That may be an understatement.

http://money.msn.com/now/post--why-mcdonalds-franchisees-are-simmering

12. juicystream

juicystream Member

I've never received only one napkin, and I generally have zero use for a napkin.

Just go inside and have access to unlimited napkins.

13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

Chik-Fil-A doesn't have a dollar menu that eats at margins.

14. Dei

Dei Member

Normally, I'd say yes since corporations tend to sever limbs to save face but nobody - nobody's gonna be on the side of the guy suing that they won't mind even if the manager keeps his job.

15. Zboy

Zboy Member

I bought a a pack of 240 napkins and got absolutely NO burger with it.

None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. :mad::mad::mad:

The hunger and anguish is killing me.

How much should I sue for?

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

Are you talking about Wendy's or at another FF Restaurant? If Wendy's then the most you'd probably get would be about two or three.

I'm pretty sure I know going inside will give me access to unlimited napkins but you know some people have to go through the drive thru when in a hurry and the line is short. Or for other reasons.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If the line "you people" sends you into an emotional spiral large enough to compromise your ability to work a normal job, I would consider help.

18. juicystream

juicystream Member

Wendy's. And yeah, it just a couple, but that is all I get anywhere (except BK, which always gives me like 10).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/um30Lbu6-nc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. juicystream

juicystream Member

Were they like these?

[​IMG]