1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man kills 9 people at black church

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. What a bizarre post.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't feel it would ever be right to use it. I'll admit I feel less bad about it being used in this case, but I don't ever think that the penalty is okay.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

Just asking what if it was someone who killed a bunch of kids.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, personally, I would want them dead, just as I do in this case. But I realize that what my own personal emotions want and desire isn't necessarily the best for society at large.

fchowd0311, edwardc and Deckard like this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

When would it be appropriate to torture someone to death as a legal punishment?

Most civilized people in modern times, I think, would say never. That is, there are some forms of punishment that they believe should never be implemented by the state, regardless of how heinous the crime is. For some, any application of the death penalty, even if "painless", falls in that category of punishments that are off limits.

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

He's white though. We wouldn't be having this conversation if he has any other skin tone.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

Death penalty doesn't have to involve torture. You could argue life in prison (e.g. treating a human like a caged animal at a zoo) is also cruel and unusual punishment. That's not much of a life to me.

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

Didn't he murder his mom or am I confusing him with another shooter?

9. durvasa

I know. My only point there was that we can generally understand why there are limits to what sort of punishment should be permitted even for the most unfathomable crimes. From there, it's a matter of where that bar gets set. And many people (though not so much in the US) would draw that line at taking away another person's life against their will as an authorized punishment.

10. durvasa

I think you're thinking of the guy who shot up an elementary school in Connecticut.

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

I can agree with that it may not be what's best but some will say eye for a eye.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

I see your point but there are many that feel the punishment should fit the crime.

13. durvasa

I know, "eye for an eye".

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why is this even being bumped right now? The case is over, he got the death penalty (rightfully so), isn't that the end til his execution? What else is left to debate or discuss?

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

Simply were now talking about the death penalty if it should be used or not some feel like i a eye for a eye some say let them sit in jail.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough. For me, I'd much rather have my tax dollars used to put scum like Dylan Roof to death as opposed to being used to feed him and shelter him so that's where I stand on it. Put those people down like the dogs they are so we can start to forget about them.

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

I totally agree with you on that those dollars can be spent on better things.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well there are studies that show that executing prisoners can actually be more expensive than keeping them in prison for the rest of their lives. For me, I don't care if it's more expensive if that happens to be the case, I prefer to spend the money executing the prisoner as opposed to letting them live out their days on the taxpayers dime.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

A 20 cent bullet is all that it will take.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In theory, sure. In reality the process is much more complicated in order to make sure as possible that you aren't executing an innocent person.

FranchiseBlade likes this.