1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man I hate Dick Vitale

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocksMillenium, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Dicky V is a certified A-Hole - QED.

Take a look at this example - on draft night Dicky V mysteriously managed to praise our own TJ Ford but dissed Ridnour (sp) because according to him Ridnour is small and frail. Interestingly TJ is just as frail and Ridnour - heck Ridnour can shoot better that TJ. Thank goodness the other A-Hole on the set "the-bald-caucasian" called hims out on that.

2. sbyang

sbyang Member

How do you merge threads? I have a thread in the draft forum concerning Dickey V too. Can you merge it?

thanks

3. Looogie

Looogie Member

When Dick bashed Bosh, I knew he'd be good ;)

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

...and he steps in for an open 15 foot post. YESSSS.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Didn't Dickie baaayyyybbeeee do the Lebron telecasts on ESPN?

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I couldn't tell, was that Dick Vitale last night making commentary or Kenny Smith? When will the xenophobia end?

Vitale is fine for covering college basketball but he SHOULD NOT be brought in to cover NBA ball. He views things with college basketball blinders on. Not all "good" college players are great PRO players. Just because they win in college on a good team, play all 4 years and are a model citizen that does not make them a great PRO player.

Vitale has NO CLUE about the foreign players so he just dismisses them as some sort of fad, much the way Kenny Smith made those allusions last year.

Lame.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Dick was a D-Head last night...

He is so played out...I am so sick of his voice and his classless comments...

Remember what he said about Yao...He picked-up were he left off last year degrading all the international players...I'm glad there is an international flavor and it should make everyone work a little harder...

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Hilarious!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2003/draft/news/2003/06/26/draft_follow/

Worst Comment: Dick Vitale
    There's a backlash coming against all these international guys. Yep, any second now. I think I know where it's coming from: college basketball analysts who haven't seen any of them play. Yo, Dickie V, you want a real backlash? How about one against college seniors? Check out the five taken in the top 20 last year: Melvin Ely, Fred Jones, Juan Dixon, Curtis Borchardt and Ryan Humphrey. Did any of those guys even get 10 points in a game last year? Combined?

9. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I saw that. In fact that is EXACTLY what I was thinking the MOMENT that Walton was drafted by the Lakers. We already have Walton loving Shaq and the Lakers, not like we needed anything else like his son getting on the team to increase his love for the team.

At least Shaq knows that Walton will pass him the ball. There won't be any question about that.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Dick Vitale should go crawl into a hole after March. I love the energy and enthusiasm he brings to college hoops. It just isn't appropriate that he comments on the NBA draft. He makes baseless comments about international players and the globalization of the sport. He was way off base about Yao and will be wrong about Milicic too. Unfortunately he does not realize that the NBA is not the same as the NCAAs.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Here's his post-draft recap:

NBA draft: Carmelo could make Pistons pay
    By Dick Vitale
    SPECIAL TO ESPN.COM
    June 26 | final update

It was so beautiful to see the tears of joy from Carmelo Anthony's mom after he was selected by the Denver Nuggets on Thursday night as the No. 3 pick in the 2003 NBA draft.

Besides his talent and high basketball IQ, Carmelo has such special charisma and such a great smile. He really loves playing the game.

Carmelo can beat you in so many ways with his inside-outside game. Denver finished last in the league in scoring this past season (84.2 ppg), and Carmelo will bring the Nuggets some serious offensive firepower.

So many people in this draft have talked about upside. For instance, Serbian teenager Darko Milicic (drafted No. 2 by the Detroit Pistons) is said to have tremendous potential and upside.

But let me tell you something -- Carmelo is ready to contribute, baby! He averaged 36 minutes a game as a freshman at Syracuse. He played in pressure situations and consistently performed at the highest level, leading the Orangemen to the school's first national championship.

Many NBA rookies need on-the-job training to get ready to play at the pro level. Carmelo, though, had his on-the-job training in college -- and he was sensational.

I have a feeling that Detroit might regret not picking Carmelo Anthony at No. 2.

But I don't believe the Cleveland Cavaliers will regret picking high-school phenom LeBron James -- not at all, baby! LeBron already has an NBA physique (6-8, 240) as well as charisma and great court vision. He's an unbelievable passer -- he not only scores but also creates opportunities for his teammates.

LeBron is the best passer for a player of his size that I've seen since Earvin "Magic" Johnson. And, without a doubt, he's the most talented high school player I've ever seen. While Carmelo is a great passer, LeBron's exceptional court vision is what separates him from Carmelo.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: People have asked me, how long will it take for LeBron to make an impact in the NBA? I have a simple answer: By the end of the first quarter of his first NBA game, fans will realize that he's the real deal.

13. sbyang

sbyang Member

Dixon got around 30 once against Iverson, the rest were real bad though.

14. silentfan

silentfan Member

Since when is college ball considered "on the job training" for the nba? Does Dick know something we dont? Besides, whats the big deal that Carmelo didn't get picked 2nd, but rather 3rd? Is it too much for Dick's college player-centric ego to swallow? Big deal. He takes this crap too personally. Someone needs to publically call him out on his idiot statements come next season when Darko is smokin all other rookies and wins ROY.

15. x_trepidation_x

Dick Vitale was way out of line during draft night.

I couldn't believe he said Detroit is going to regret taking Darko Milicic. That was such an idiotic statment. If anything Darko is probably the best player in the draft.

I'm surprised that he didn't say Cleveland was making a mistake of taking James over Carmelo. Then again, Vitale would be sent to the crazy house.

As for Vitale and Tolbert, I'm surprised Vitale attacked Tolbert in such a manner. I dislike Tolbert a lot, but even he didn't deserve to be bashed like that. You could tell Tolbert fell uncomfortable after those comments.

Vitale, was simply bias, was talking garbage, and his credibility points to evaluate NBA talent is worthless.

Vitale might speak fast and with enthusiasm but he is worse then Charles Barkley when it comes to player evaluation and understanding the game of basketball.

Vitale needs to learn how to be humble and stop pretending like he knows everything about basketball.