1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man Faces Death Penalty For Shooting Cop During No-Knock Raid

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Oct 7, 2014.

?

What does he deserve?

1. Should be Free

36 vote(s)
    78.3%
  2. Death Penalty

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. some prison time

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. life

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

A 50-year-old man who shot at police climbing through his window during a no-knock raid is facing murder charges and the death penalty. The team conducting the raid failed to find any drugs as evidence.

The raid occurred on May 9th of this year at approximately 5:30am. The targets were a middle-aged couple under suspicion of possessing illegal substances. A no-knock warrant was issued just the day before after an investigation inspired by an informant’s tip about cocaine in the area. According to the affidavits, a blue Crown Victoria owned by Marvin Louis Guy was implicated as being used to store and sell cocaine. Just two days before the warrant was issued, the informant accused Guy of harboring a large supply of the drug, and warned law enforcement that Guy was armed. For this reason, it was decided a no-knock raid would be the most appropriate course of action.

http://thelibertydoll.com/2014/09/16/man-faces-death-penalty-no-knock-raid/

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's BS, if you break into someone's house like that, you deserve to get shot. No one should ever be charged with assault or murder in a no knock warrant case.

3. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

The police department is to blame everything.

I hope this guy gets acquitted. It's absolutely disgusting that they're going after the death penalty.

Hey cops...announce your ****ing presence, you idiots.

4. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

You have the right to defend your home against invaders. What are you supposed to do, ask a criminal if he is a cop before you shoot him? Stupid.

Of course we don't know if this guy is a felon or can even legally own a weapon.

Try crawling in through a window in my house...

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the ONLY factor IMO that matters is if he killed the cop after he knew it was a cop and that's practically impossible to prove in most instances. If he shot the cop early on, the case shouldn't even exist. IMO even if he's not legally allowed to own a firearm he still shouldn't be charged with murder.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

article doesn't have much info but just based on it, I didn't see anything wrong that Guy did. He has the right to defend himself from intruders. Almost sound like the Cops and DA are persecuting him for revenge.

no-knock raid at civilian home is dumb

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I were on the jury, I'd acquit the guy anyway, but do we know what state? Some states have much more restrictive laws regarding protecting your home. I believe that in some places (maybe DC, Chicago, or NYC?) shooting a home invader is illegal.

Edit: It was in Killeen, TX

As I read the penal code, it is entirely dependent on how the defendant perceived the situation. There is no blanket exception for law enforcement. I also believe, however, that the cops would have been justified under the law to use deadly force too.

#7 Ottomaton, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Although my practice isn't criminal law, I think this is incorrect. According to the case law below, Texas statute, and the alleged facts before us, this may be closer than the Magee case where defendant's use of deadly force against a LEO in a no-knock situation was reasonable and justified.

http://www.kxxv.com/link/695406/kpd-release

This will come down to the wire given the county where this happened.

(1) The force used here is typical of no-knock search warrants.

(2) Will the jury believe the defendant when he said he didn't know who the intruders were? Is shattering a window, but not entering your habitation an action whose immediate response requires shooting to kill, or something less?

Defendant must show both (1) and (2) to be justified in his self-defense claim. I think he may serve a few years for manslaughter.

9. dmc89

dmc89 Member

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's very dangerous for cops to have all of these hyper vigilant armed home-owners out there. What a shame that a cop had to die while doing his job.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Considering Joe Horn left his home and ran to a neighbor's house to kill two people. . . .. if that is justified .. . i don't see how this one would be unjustified

Rocket River

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Where's the poll option for He should be tried in a criminal court and his fate be determined by a jury of his peers? It'd seem to me to be fair to convict if he knew it was a police officer when he pulled the trigger and fair to acquit if he didn't know. I probably couldn't tell which it was from behind this keyboard.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Both the cop and this r****d should be jailed for life. Why does he have a gun to begin with? Is he hunting?

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

your right on one point Joe Horn did get off shooting outside is home Mr Guy was under suspicion of possessing illegal substances .And i don't have to point out what maybe the biggest factor of the two cases.

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution protects the right of individuals[1][2] to keep and bear arms.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That Horn shot people who were committing a crime while Guy shot a police officer carrying out the lawful duties of his office?

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yep that's it .But we must remember you have the right to defend your home so Guy was doing just that so he was within his rights.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I feel bad for the cop, but just forcing your way into somebody's house seems like a bad idea on all fronts. Particularly for a person known to be armed.

That is just creating a dangerous situation.

19. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

edit.

#19 Joshfast, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully the judge that signed that warrant will think about it longer before signing another "no knock" warrant in the future.