1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Man convicted after Internet hoax leads to deadly shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/12/22/driveway.shooting.ap/index.html

RIVERHEAD, New York (AP) -- A jury Saturday convicted a black man of killing a white teen during a racially charged confrontation outside the man's home despite his claims that he feared a lynch mob had come to attack his family.

Jurors found John White, 54, guilty of second-degree manslaughter in the death of Daniel Cicciaro.

White faces a prison term of 5 to 15 years. He was allowed to remain free on bail until sentencing.

"My son is finally vindicated," Joanne Cicciaro, the victim's mother, said afterward. "The truth prevailed. ... It was never about race. It was about individuals and individuals' actions."

The ruling came on the fourth day of deliberations following an emotional three-week trial that attracted national attention after White's defense attorneys invoked the nation's violent racist past in arguing the shooting was justified.

White had testified he grew up hearing stories from family members about how the Ku Klux Klan torched his grandfather's business in Alabama in the 1920s and feared a similar attack was about to happen. Watch CNN's Jason Carroll explain the case ยป

White testified during the trial that he was trying to protect his family in 2006 when he brandished a gun after a group of angry white teenagers turned up at his house late at night to fight his son.

White admitted on the witness stand that he shot Cicciaro, but that the pistol went off accidentally as Cicciaro grabbed for it. Cicciaro, 17, had a blood-alcohol reading above the legal limit for driving.

Prosecutor James Chalifoux said White should have simply locked the door and called police -- and not gone outside to confront the teenagers with a gun.

He sought to downplay the racial element, telling jurors the Brooklyn-raised White never said anything about a lynch mob until the case went to trial, and noted that the Klan attack on his grandfather occurred 30 years before he was born.

The confrontation came after his son, Aaron, was asked to leave a beer bash at a friend's house. A female guest had complained about a bogus MySpace posting claiming Aaron White wanted to rape her.

He denied making the threat but left the party. Cicciaro and his friends then called the teenager on his cell phone to continue the dispute, allegedly making threats that culminated when they arrived at the White home shortly after 11 p.m.

Jurors also found White guilty of criminal possession of a weapon.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Let's suppose this happened in Texas. I wonder if he would have been convicted.

3. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Are Joe Horn's defenders on this board gonna stick to their guns this time for a black man?

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'm curious too, especially since they were actually on his property. He should have called 911 and stayed inside though.

5. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Stay off people's property, and keep your mitts off their belongings, and your risks of getting hurt go down significantly.

In this case, trespassing is the only wrong doing of the gang of teens that I can tell. No theft or vandalism was done. Mr. White was pre-emptive in what he thought may happen, perhaps. Or, was he attacked while he stepped out onto his front lawn to demand they leave? What circumstances lead to the confrontation where the gun supposedly discharged in a struggle?

Details?

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are some similarities but I think the cases aren't that similar. This sounds like a situation where the kids were there to fight his son and not rob his neighbor so there seems to be more of a direct argument regarding health and safety as opposed to the Joe Horn case.

My guess is if this happened in Texas he would be exonerated by the castle doctrine as they were threatening his son on his property.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I would be interested in hearing more details. My guess is that while he and his family were threatened the prosecution argument was that deadly force was an inapropriate response to that threat. Also the prosecutor cited that he should've stayed inside so they were probably looking at it as that White ahd escalated the situation by coming out and confronting the teens with a gun.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I doubt that it would have even come to court. If you fear for you safety on your property, you can use deadly force in Texas.

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

lol good one. :D

Too bad this guy will likely see jail time, while Joe Horn never will. It's not a race issue, its a stupid law issue. Cowboy Horn was protecting his neighbors belongings, this man was protecting his son.

10. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

This is BS, if you're on someone else's property without invitation and threatening violence, that to me equals an invitation to what ever comes next.

The fact that this person will go to jail is a black mark on our justice system.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Cases like these really show the differences between the states regarding use of deadly force. Just going by the information given in the article to me there seems to be a legitamate self-defense argument on White's part but then again I grew up in Texas.

Even growing upin Texas though I still think Joe Horn was wrong and its one thing to use deadly force when people are on your yard threatening to beat up your son and its another when its your neighbors being robbed and they aren't even there.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He should get off on appeal. I wouldn't trust the police. They were probally busy getting donuts.

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

he got railroaded. I don't know the racial makeup of the jury but I'm wiling to bet there was porbbaly no blacks on there as that area is very white.

this should be overturned on appeal IMO

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Haha. The KKK defense was brilliant.

Funny that he isn't being vilified on this board like Horn was. At least Horn called the police and tried to wait for them. I wouldn't vilify either of them though.

15. Major

Major Member

One big difference is that, if you believe the guy's story, there was a clear & immediate danger here. In Horn's case, the guys were fleeing and non-violent. There was no danger to Horn. In this case, there were a group of people approaching his house looking for a fight (if his story is true).

16. MR. MEOWGI

The guys in the home invasion crime-ring are non violent? They are much more violent than teenage kids wanting to fight.

17. Major

Major Member

:confused: Were they armed? Were they doing anything violent? They were walking (or running) away from a neighbor's house. Is that now considered violent?

At what point, exactly, was there a clear and present danger to Horn?

18. MR. MEOWGI

Those people being alive was clear and present danger. You give them waay too much benefit. They deserved none.

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

HAHAHA.. No they were black.

Admit it you know that's the reason.

Two guys who break into a house are dangerous. But two guys who are visibly unarmed (caught off guard about to drop the loot and run) does not pose a threat to a man with a shotgun - no matter how you spin it. Use common logic okay? Don't make ASSUMPTIONS yourselves by always saying "don't wanna give benefit of doubt". YOU don't know for certain what would have happened so don't make baseless claims.

The kid who got shot by the father called prior and said he was coming over to kill him. I guess the father should have given him the "benefit of the doubt"? You guys are ridiculous. Can't have it both ways, dig it?

#19 krnxsnoopy, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  20. MR. MEOWGI

If you don't assume home invaders are dangerous and deadly then you a just a moron.

I never said the father did anything wrong except for maybe not calling the police, like Horn actually did.

But to proclaim crime-ring home invades less violent than teenage kids looking for a fight is ridiculous. And claiming to think they were the KKK is just embarrassing.

This has nothing to do with black and white, even though you are just dying for it to be so. Get a life.