1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mambos Restaurants Closed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tim562, Dec 2, 2009.

1. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

After Immigration Raids

Link

Restaurants Closed After ICE Raids
    Mambo's Headquarters Raided First

POSTED: Wednesday, December 2, 2009
    UPDATED: 3:42 pm CST December 2, 2009

HOUSTON -- Several well-known Houston restaurants were closed on Wednesday after immigration agents made dozens of arrests, KPRC Local 2 reported.

Officials said the investigation began at the corporate office and an adjacent restaurant of Mambo's Restaurants, located in the 6100 block of Airline. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents raided the buildings at about 9 a.m.

A government spokesman said they executed a court order to enforce immigration statutes and detained workers the government claimed are in the U.S. illegally.

At the same time, a second group of agents raided the Mambo's restaurant on Longpoint near Gessner Road in Spring Branch and detained workers there.

A total of 31 allegedly illegal immigrants were taken from the two locations.

By Wednesday afternoon, Mambo's appeared to have closed all five of its Houston restaurants. Despite repeated calls, none of Mambo's corporate executives have been available for comment.

The restaurant on Long Point is next to a labor agency where illegal immigrants routinely gather in the mornings to look for work.

Two men who admitted that they are in this country illegally said the immigration agents simply told them to leave, then the agents went into the restaurant and began arresting employees.

"There were a bunch of us here and all immigration said was,'Go across the street.' And that's all they said," said the man who did not want to be identified.

"There were between 100 and 150 people standing here, all in different groups. I was here in my car when they came in and they came in with two police and ICE went inside. The police stayed outside," said another man known only as Jose.

ICE spokesman Gregory Palmer said the agents were there to execute a court order, and he suspected that there were only enough of them to deal with the illegal workers found in the restaurant.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

It ain't just Mambo's they could do this at...

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I wonder if they gathered all the women who can't speak English. I used to eat at the one on longpoint all the time. good micheladas, but Mambo isn't as good as Golden Seafood on Ailrline. Not even close

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I wonder how they decide which restaurants they are going to raid.

5. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Damn I love Mambos. I bet they are going to get hit with a BIG fine! :eek:

6. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Racial profiling? :confused:

7. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

With unemployment high, the time that companies can say americans are unwilling to do these jobs is gone.

Now the illegal immigrants are tossed aside like trash. I will be very interested to hear how much they are fined for hiring them. It is so much more their fault than these poor people.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why don't they raid Tia Maria's or Tony's etc.

9. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Agreed. This has always been the arguement here, people aren't willing to do the jobs that these immigrants do. Interesting to see that this will pan out

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

it won't stop a business like Mambo's from hiring illegals. have you been to a mambo's who's their customer base. part of their hiring practice is who they are catering to

11. fmullegun

You are saying illegal immigrants only want go to a restaurant that hires illegals?

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well this sucks, I actually live there grilled and fried fish along with there fries. Sucks for all those people but not suprising at all, everytime I went in their it was painfully obvious.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i'm saying that mambo's caters to hispanics/latinos, illegal or not. when you go in the flat screen television are showing latin american soccer games. the menus are in English/Spainish and most of the people there are speaking spanish

14. fmullegun

Well they need to hire the spanish speakers than have a work permit or citizenship. They will do it if the fines are more than the extra salary costs them.

15. rockets934life

Corrected :grin:

16. Fatty FatBastard

Did you write this on purpose?

Learn how to properly use "their" and "there."

I hate to go Swoly on you, but you were 0-3 in those two sentences.

17. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

It's cool, he's an illegal.

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

everyone's strapped for cash. Govt agencies are hitting it hard, in all aspects. I know we've been tax audited more in the last year than the prior 6 years.

19. Fatty FatBastard

No it isn't...

[​IMG]

20. rockets934life

Excuse me???? :mad: Just because I like to eat at the place or am currently working so my usage of "there" and "their" isn't as perfect as it should does not make me an illegal but i'll assume it was a bad attempt at humor.