1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Malick Mania Hits the BBS!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Achebe, Jun 27, 2003.

?

Will Malick be on the roster (+3) next year?

1. Helllll no. He's doing the Deeter for, count 'em, 2 years at least.

48 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. YEP! He'll prove effective and take Collie's spot next year.

70 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. YEP! He'll embarrass Eddie and take us to the promised land.

47 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. Maybe. Maybe no.

75 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Badiane doesn't agree. Soccer in Europe has a farm system for the top teams. The "second tier" training is run by the top teams. That is what Badiane's team is.

here's what Badiane says:

<blockquote><hr><b>Q: Why did you choose to play in Germany instead of going to a high school or a college in the States?</b>

MB: I visited some colleges in the U.S., but the [Frankfurt] Skyliners gave me the chance to practice with big men like Mario Kasun [41st overall pick in the 2002 NBA Draft] and Robert Maras, and I learn from them. And the Skyliners really take care of me. They really help me to be a better player. <hr></blockquote>
    Notice he did not mention the name of his "2nd tier" team. He referred only to the team who signed him...the Frankfurt Skyliners...the top league team.

2. heypartner

the point about soccer is we all understand that the top teams have B teams. I've been told by friends in Europe that bball is handled that way, too. Maybe not all the 2nd tier teams are affiliated, but many are. Badiane's team is.

Achebe, so why do you grace our presence in the common area.

3. heypartner

Robert Maras is the 24yr old center for the Skyliners (a platoon center at 21mpg) and was 3rd string backup for Germany's national team last summer that included Dirk Nowitzki.

Kinda puts it into perspective. Badiane plays for the B-team of the Skyliners who platoons the 3rd string player of the National team....hehe

He should just stay there and let the Germans train him.

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

heyp, I can't spend all of my time arguing about political nonsense. Better to come in here and talk about the second coming of Dream. ;)

Incidentally, I don't think that the 12th or 13th spot on the roster is so important that a team wouldn't want to completely monopolize the time of a prospect. If Malick is as strong as the articles declare, then he can stay in the states and be our defensive/rebounder/shot blocking pony.

Turn him loose Gumpy!!!

5. mingonly

mingonly Member

okay,then after two years of staying in germany,his contract will be up with the rockets and he can choose any team after that. and he wont choose the rockets since we didnt want him to be here for two years. Then we lose the pick. Why not just say it right out heyP?

Just say "he sucks,he will never make it in the nba,what a wasted pick".

6. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

i think this statement is incorrect. maras is on the first skyliners squad. but he doesnt get too many minutes. partly because of his age. since the european system is based on seniority rule. This is why Darko Milicic got less than 20 mpg last season.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not really. Most soccer clubs have an amateur division where young talents sometimes play as amateurs before they make the jump to the pros, but there is a clear distinction between amateurs and professionals - if a player has a pro contract, he cannot be put on the amateur team during that season. But there is no farm team system like the one you guys have in baseball.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think heypartner said BADIANE plays for the B-team, not Maras.

9. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

it looks misleading thats all.

"Kinda puts it into perspective. Badiane plays for the B-team of the Skyliners who platoons the 3rd string player of the National team....hehe"

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

It doesn't work like that. We never have signed him yet and won't until we are sure he's ready to play. Until then, he will play in Europe or wherever, but we will still hold his draft rights even if he plays like 10 years over there, unless there is some rule I am unaware of. With the draft rights, we can sign him when he is ready, not right when he is drafted. This is also why he wouldn't count against the cap if we play him overseas.

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

me too. did you go to UT?

12. heypartner

all i am trying to say is that the top teams sign the player (i guess in soccer that means just inviting them to play in their amateur division) and they invest their training into them.

do the clubs oversee (if not conduct) the training of the amateurs. If so, that's what i call a farm system.

That is certainly what Badiane is saying about the Skyliners having him practice with Maras and Kasun.

btw: your moniker always makes me giggle for some reason.

Maras is 24yrs old. Badiane called him one of "the men." He is being platooned on the Skyliners for 21mpg with the 25yr old starter getting 25mpg. Milicic is 18yrs old...that's totally different. I'm sure 24yrs old is considered a vet.

I know about the seniority thingie. But don't take it too far, it is not a strict rule. I think it is mainly about the teenagers like Milicic and Tsiki. Look it up: most all these first round 21-22yr olds getting drafted are starters in the Euroleague, which is Europe's top league. Gasol was the MVP of the Euroleague championship. Nachbar started. Jaric was an All-Star. If you are 24 and not starting, I'm sure the decision is based on skill level.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Langen is a kind of farm team for the Skyliners. I think they practice a lot together.

In soccer, it's usually different as the amateur teams usually are run completely separate from the professional ones. They have their own coaches and train separately.

14. heypartner

yeah, i understand. that's exactly what minor league baseball does. that is probably an issue with being the #1 sport and having the need and money to have completely different coaching staffs. What I'm saying is if the mother ship club overseas it (hires the coaches, recruits the players), that's a farm system, independent of whether they are pro or not.

Euro bball seems to somewhat share practice time and coaching between the A and B team.

I think you are agreeing with that assessment. I'm not trying to second guess you...I am totally a newbie soccer fan and newbie Euro bball fan...but this seems like a semantic thing.

maybe I haven't asked my friends in Europe enough about the soccer farm system, so let me ask you this. Do the clubs have first rights of refusal over their amateurs going pro, or do the amateurs have free agent rights and can sign with anyone?

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

What if in the Summer Leagues he shows us so much more potential than we are at present giving him credit for? Does he get a spot on the 15 or does he still go to Europe? [ 12+3 ]

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am not sure if I can speak for every country in Europe, but the way it works in Germany and a few other European countries is as follows (and I don't know the exact rules and regulations down to the detail, this is just what I have been observing)...the amateurs have a strict amateur contract with the team they play for. That contract has a limited term. During this term, the player can play for the amateur team, or can be given some brief stints in the pro team. Sometimes a player from the amateur team does so well during these stints that, during the season, he becomes a pro at the same team he is under contract with. While his amateur contract is still running, he cannot become a pro with a different team than the one his amateur contract is with if this team does not release him (this will usually not happen without compensation, because if the player shows he is good enough to be a pro, they might want to give him a chance on their own pro team).

After the term of the amateur contract is up, the player can now do whatever he wants (go to any team he wants to play for) without any right of first refusal by the team he played for before. If he player is not currently under contract, he is simply a free agent that can do what he wants.

Keep in mind that trades work completely differently in European soccer (and also in basketball). A player can normally never be traded without his consent and swapping players like in the NBA does usually not happen. There is no salary cap. There is no collective bargaining agreement. There is no draft. Trades during the season are rare.

If one team wants to sign a player that is already under contract, they will have to formally contact the team of that player and try to buy him out of his contract. Only then will one team compensate the other team. It used to be different (teams would have to pay other teams even after a player's contract was up), but there was a verdict several years ago that changed that.

So, let's say, Manchester United has David Beckham under contract until 2007 and Real wants to hire him now. Real will have to contact ManU and inquire about his availability. If Beckham agrees to be traded, Real will have to pay ManU money for the loss of Beckham's services because ManU still has the contract with Beckham until 2007. If Beckham's contract had run out after last season, ManU would get nothing.

Let's say Kevin Willcutts plays for Bayern Munich's amateur team and has a contract until 2006. Next season, he can either play on the amateur team or the pro team (however, there are regulations, I believe, that if he has had a certain number of appearances in the pro team during a season, he cannot play for the amateur team anymore during that same season). If Real wants to hire him now, they will have to pay Bayern. If Kevin Willcutts' contract with Bayern Munich's amateur team ended at the end of the 2002/2003 season, he would be free to go to Real without compensation for Bayern.

17. heypartner

So, if I get an amateur contract with ManU, and do so well to turn pro at 18, what if I later want to get married. Does that get arranged, too, and I have to marry a Spice Girl.

18. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

yes, as long as you get numerous bad hair cuts

don't you reply to your emails anymore pal!

19. heypartner

my next email will be my 10,000ths of my life. I'm saving it, sorry.

20. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

hey jo mama, I actually went to the College of Charleston in Charleston, SC. My professor's name, however, was Sengova.

I only mention his name b/c he taught all over the place, and it would be a small world if he'd taken a course from the same professor.

ps, more pispoor stupid logic/questions from heypartner to derail the Mania. heypartner, I'll bet you a $5 gift certificate to Chic-fil-a that Malick stays in the states.