1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Malcolm Gladwell]'Psychic Benefits' and the NBA Lockout

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by redhotrox, Aug 22, 2011.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6874079/psychic-benefits-nba-lockout

I've been impressed with Gladwell from having to read The Tipping Point for school and listening to his TED talks. But this article seems extremely ridiculous to me. Comparing owning an NBA team to owning a piece of art? Saying the owners shouldn't care about money since it's all about psychic benefits? WTF. Maybe players should just play for free since they've got the psychic benefits of doing the best job in the whole world.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Gladwell tries to be a pop psychologist but has no real expertise. Some of his observations are out there.

3. meshflesh

meshflesh Member

4. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Great piece

Thanks for sharing, citizen.

This is a subject that has not been discussed enough in this lockout. It’s actually on my list of topics to write about. The application of normal business rules to owning a basketball team is simply not relevant in my opinion. Any owner in the NBA can make more by putting the money they have tied up in a franchise into their other business or businesses. This is not about ROI, or even P&L. There is a prestige to belonging to a club so exclusive that it can only have 30 members (principal owners of NBA teams).

The simple fact is that there are more people who want to be in this club, even at the prices and returns that exist now, than can be. So why does it need to be more lucrative for owners than it already is?

In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. - Elwood P. Dowd

by Steve Perrin on Aug 22, 2011 4:59 PM PDT reply

http://www.clipsnation.com/2011/8/22/2378214/psychic-benefits-and-the-nba-lockout#comments