1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Making The Case -- Power Forwards

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Dec 10, 2004.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

A lot of people want to trade Mo Taylor or Howard, making the assertion that they are essentially the same player and we don't need two soft power forwards. The solution: trade both.

For PF's, who is:

Our best rebounder?
    Our toughest/best defender?

That's right, Clarence Weatherspoon.

Who is:

Our most consistent shooter?
    A threat from the perimiter?
    Shows the most hustle?

That's right, Scott Padgett.

I would love to see the Rockets dump both Howard and MoT, start Padgett, and run Spoon off the bench. Padgett will spread the defense, similar to a Robert Horry PF role. He's shown he can consistently knock down the three ball and perimeter shots, and is an average rebounder (average, but better than Howard or Taylor). In fact, Padgett is all hustle, all heart and will -- sometimes that's all you need to grab boards.

Then we should run Spoon off the bench. Surprisingly, he hasn't gotten much PT this year, but he sure as hell deserves it. He's stepped in and played tough defense. Not even centers can truely back this guy down, he puts his hands up and holds his position. He's a good defender, knows how to box out (I'm looking at you Taylor), and isn't non-existant on offense. He's shown consistency with the mid-range game, and can finish down low. Not to mention, he is a pretty good passer.

A lot of people want to trade Howard OR Taylor -- why not trade both? I feel like we have two better options on this team for PF, and we don't need either of them.

Thoughts?

I just wanted to discuss Padgett and Spoon in the rotation as compared to Howard/Taylor, not who we could get from a trade.

2. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

I already started a thread a few days ago saying that Spoon should get a few mins. I don't thnk we should dump both Mo and Howard (unless we are getting a REAL PF in return). I dont mind Howard starting right now but I would really like to see Spoon get some mins. He has a nice little jumper (like Mo use to have), plays tough defense, and is the best rebounding PF on this team. Being a NY guy iam surprised that he hasnt already gotten some mins.