1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ma'Khia Bryant Shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 21, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s sad that people are more interested in talking about LeBron than the issues of this case or whether this case affects things like use of force or the relationship between LE and the public.

For all of those criticizing LeBron all you’re doing is proving his point that as a celebrity he has an outsized voice enough that you actually care what he thinks.

Back to this situation. I had heard that Bryant had been bullied by these other girls and that they had threatened her safety. What’s not clear is that if she had lived if she would’ve had a valid self defense argument. Either way I’ve been told by LEO that when they come upon a situation where people are fighting is that they stop the fight and then sort out who is responsible. In a situation like this where they see someone’s life is threatened they have to act immediately to save that person even if it means lethal force.

With all of the chaos that has been happening here in MN this is an issue that I’ve been worried about regarding third party use of force to protect others. It shows that using force to protect someone else could be even more dangerous. You could win the fight against an assailant and risk LEO taking action against you.

That aside this is still an awful situation all around. Whether the LEO was justified or. It there’s no getting over a your girl has died. I can’t imagine the pain her family is going through and this has is likely going to haunt the LEO for the rest of his life.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think a taser could’ve been an option. Tasers aren’t as fast or reliable to stop an imminent threat. A knife is considered a lethal threat and you can respond to a lethal threat with lethal force.

What I’ve seen so far I have a hard time thinking of anything else the LEO could’ve done that could’ve saved both Bryant and her target

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I really don't think it's a racial issue.

Only one of those people you mentioned proclaimed themselves as the chosen one, and a king.

So when you go to that level, you are obviously on a pedestal much higher than anyone else. Race has nothing to do with it.

You want to claim you're better than every human alive, you get things thrown at you no other human alive does.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

There were protests at Ohio State holding up the attempted murderer’s name on signs like she’s some victim. Here is where we are now. A person is literally swinging an 8” blade at someone and is shot, and there is a group of people that thinks she’s some martyr for their cause.

It’s not like she was waving the knife around at a distance, she is obviously trying to murder that girl by fully lunging, drawing back the knife, and starting a full swing at the victim.

it’s actually sort of a miracle that the officer was able to save the victim’s life.

It’s sad she was 16.
    It’s sad these other girls may have been bullies.
    It’s sad she was raised in an environment where this activity is so prevalent, notable BLM supporters are saying cops should just let black kids have knife fights.
    It’s sad that she’s dead.
    It’s sad that the cop has to live with shooting a kid.
    It’s sad that the cop is going to become an enemy and villain when he was just doing his job.
    It’s sad that powerful people with an agenda are going to ruin that cops life

Also, anyone saying he should have used a taser is dumb

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's sad that police officers have had zero accountability for so long that we now jump to almost automatic conclusions. It's sad that news outlets care more about being first then being correct.

joshuaao, jiggyfly, apollo33 and 3 others like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wonder what would've happened if the cop shoots in the air like in the movies, but that has its own dangers.

real_egal likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

#109 J.R., Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Come on man, you know better than to bring facts to the table!

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yikes it seems like Lebron is doubling down and not expressing an apology to the officer.

He needs to learn that if people who have disagreements with his activism want to listen to what he has to say, he needs to have reasonable takes and acknowledge when he makes grave errors but I don't think his ego will let him.

#111 fchowd0311, Apr 22, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

LeBron lost all credibility with his Hong Kong takes. I don't know why people still listen to him.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I thought the same of the taser after initially thinking maybe he could have used one. Given how imminent the threat was and the much higher chance of misfire, slower speed, and the possibility it would not incapacitate her immediately makes it a poor choice once she got to where she was when the officer shot.

The only thing I'd be critical about for the police is it continues to take longer to provide medical attention then you'd like to see, but given how quickly she seems to have died, I don't think they could have done much of anything.

14. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I don't really buy this argument.

Doing some research, it would appear there are more white people in poverty, just by sheer numbers, than black people.

From povertyusa.org, white people living in poverty are about 10.1% of all white people, whereas black people in poverty are 20.8% of all black people.

But, white people make up the majority of the population (76.3% of "white alone" according to census.gov, or 250M of the total 328M population in the US). So, in total about 25M white people live in poverty.

Meanwhile, the black population is about 9.1M in total (census.gov puts them at 13.4% of the total 328M in US, so about 44M total). So just running those numbers, it would seem there are more white people living in poverty.

So wouldn't, by your argument, you expect to see more white people involved in the criminal justice system? Or are there other forces at play?

Corrosion likes this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of those white people that I mentioned claimed that he was a Duke. That is putting himself on a pedestal.

It is definitely a racial double standard. If you don't like LeBron calling himself King, then attack his ego. I attacked James' ego in my post. I didn't call him low IQ or support the idea that he needs to not speak out or draw attention to real issues. That treatment has been reserved for people of color who speak out and take a stance. People don't treat white celebrities in the same way when they are wrong on issues. Certainly not white male celebrities. Females do get their own unfair double statement treatment as well.

FrontRunner likes this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Not sure if posted

Corrosion likes this.
  17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Because they are stupid

Sajan, zeeshan2 and couple of d's like this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Lebron is a great basketball player. Thats where it really needs to end. He is a moron.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I actually don't give two shet about Lebron's personal opinions and anger towards certain issues. I think he has the right to express any I'll informed opinions as other celebrities that don't do any research.

However I have a problem with him doxing the officer and essentially putting his picture up like a wanted dead or alive poster. That's ***'d

Sajan, Corrosion, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

You can’t possibly have thought he would apologize could you?

Invisible Fan and zeeshan2 like this.