1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ma'Khia Bryant Shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 21, 2021.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

She refused to exit the car. Don't waste my time explaining to you what happened. Go watch the video before you keep arguing. TIA

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i agree...anyone who claims trump was not divisive or said and did a bunch of racist stuff is clearly deranged.

as for makiyah bryant, im not seeing how people can blame the cop in that moment. the shooting seems justified to me as she was about to stab another girl. what was the cop supposed to do in that split second? let her murder someone in front of everyone?

i saw a little bit of the dante wright funeral yesterday where senator amy klobachar was up there saying he was killed b/c he had expired tags and an air freshner in his car. that is clearly a lie, but it fits the narrative that many want to go with right now.

im afraid we're getting to the point where many think there is no justifiable reason for a cop to ever have to shoot anyone and when they do they will automatically be blasted as a racist murderer. as ive said in another thread, each incident should be judged on its own...theres clearly cases where the cops are guilty of murder (george floyd, tamir rice, briona taylor) and then theres cases where the cop was justified in their actions (makiya bryant, adam toledo). but we are living in a time now where everything is a black and white issue (no pun intended) and there is zero room for nuance.

malakas, fchowd0311 and ROCKSS like this.
  3. right1

right1 Member

Since the moment Derek Chauvin murdered George Floyd, there have been 419 white people shot to death by police in the United States (quite a few of them unarmed). I doubt most people could even name one of them. During this same time period 197 black people have been shot and killed by police.

Obviously, each case needs to be reviewed, scrutinized and judged individually on its own. I do find it to be a dangerous & divisive narrative the way the media portrays this problem with policing in the U.S.

#263 right1, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    J.R. likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The cop escalated the situation because of "disrespect". Why even ask her to get out of the car? You only do that for potential criminal violations that have probable cause, not because you are offended.

That's my point. The cop escelated the situation unnecessarily. Sandra Bland is a frustrated civilian who isn't trained to deescalate. The cop allegedly is.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Literally everything you put in that post is an opinion but you're wrong in acting surprised at why anyone would be mad at Trump...

and you do it AGAIN here. I'm a black man, excuse me if I don't like it if Trump, THE PRESIDENT (at the time), is tweeting out fake stats made by white nationalists that make it seem like black people are going on a murderous rampage killing white people. I'm just supposed to be cool with that I guess but you can be outraged by Lebron making one bad post. Okay then.

malakas and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Blacks make up 12% of the population that's almost 50% of white deaths.

Thanks for pointing out why people are concerned.

White people need to be concerned as well about trigger happy policemen.

I will agree that the media needs to be talking about all of these questionable shootings.

malakas, JayGoogle and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. fchowd0311

So basic math isn't like a thing for you?

Let me start you off with a hint. 13% of the population is African American in the US. 76% of the population is white in the US.

8. fchowd0311

Lol we posted this at the same time.

Anyways, I don't know how adults who type complete sentences can't understand basic concepts like proportions or per capita.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

I think another thing that activists are doing a diservice to themselves is when they don't chose their battles with police shooting wisely, they give less time to the mundane civil rights violations that happen daily between law enforcement and poor minority communities like illegal searches, aggressive interrogation techniques that lead to false confessions, and your mundane excessive force that leads to mere bruises and not death etc.

They are sucking up all the air with incidents that most rational people find justifiable making the systemic issues ignored.

#269 fchowd0311, Apr 23, 2021
    jiggyfly, JayGoogle and jo mama like this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My problem with all these numbers is that there is very little context around them. Although Black people only make up 12% of the population, they make over on third of arrests for violent crimes where white people make up a little over 45 percent. They interact with the police more, so they get shot more. Now, there can be some debate about black people being arrested more because of racism, but the death by cop number is consistent with the amount of interaction with the police.

Again, I'm not claiming black people aren't getting targeted by cops more. I've seen it first hand especially in particular parts of town and in rural areas that have never seen affluent blacks before. I'm just arguing that police aren't trying to kill black people more. The numbers show that they are pretty equal opportunity killers.

jiggyfly, right1 and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. fchowd0311

It definitely isn't intentional in terms of explicit written tactics. It's just a symptom of overpolicing in poor neighborhoods and the war on drugs. Subconsciously the value of poor minority lives is less for many officers than the lives of white people and well off suburbanites in general.

So it isn't that officers are going out on patrol with a serial killer mindset that they are going to kill some black people today. It's more of a subconscious attitude that their lives matter less because they've been conditioned to believe that their lives mean less because they are involved with drugs, gangs etc.

This is the main reason why many of these poor neighborhoods want community policing because they believe their own have more empathy for these people than outsiders. That subconscious empathy could go a long way in reducing deaths and other malpractices like as illegal search and seizures and detainment.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I blame twitter for this.

Everyone is trying to get in on the trending topic as fast as possible to make that hot trending post that lands them in the news cycle. There is no time to think in today's world it can feel like, only time to react...and unfortunately when people pick a side they draw lines and never back down.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

She escalated the situation by being a rude b****. Arguing about a cigarette, cigarette smoke bothers people. After being an ******* don't argue about being asked to get out the car. Cops are human beings so don't expect them to put up with anything

14. fchowd0311

Being a rude b**** isn't illegal. It isn't probable cause for a possible criminal offense that warrants taking a civilian out of the car and detaining her. What country do you think we live in? North Korea?

#274 fchowd0311, Apr 23, 2021
    malakas likes this.
  15. right1

right1 Member

Actually, I am really good at math. We've all seen the statistics about the 13% related to the % of violent crime. What is the point of your ridiculously rude comment? Other than making yourself look like a foolish *******.

16. fchowd0311

Agree and this plays really well into the hands of the right wing who will use these instances to convince the moderate to entirely dismiss activism for reform and make activism for Black causes or law enforcement reform an enemy of the public.

JayGoogle and jiggyfly like this.
  17. fchowd0311

I can only go by your posts you type and you giving raw totals without any context of proportionality. Why give the raw numbers without the context unless you are either bad at math or have an agenda?

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep....if all the shootings (especially questionable ones) were publicized, there may be more of a rallying cry to do something about them.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. right1

right1 Member

You're absolutely right. I do have an agenda and that is to show the raw numbers. So, there you go.

20. fchowd0311

And you very well know by your claim of understanding math that raw numbers are deceiving when the deninonators are extremely different. So now we are back to me questioning whether you understand basic math principles?