1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Make your final 3 cuts (Sura excluded)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Oct 25, 2007.

?

I want to cut... (choose 3)

Poll closed Oct 29, 2007.
  1. John Lucas III

94.8%
  2. Carl Landry

4.5%
  3. Steve Novak

44.4%
  4. Kirk Snyder

23.1%
  5. Justin Reed

87.5%
  6. Jackie Butler

41.8%
  7. Other (please list)

2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Totally agree. Said in the Harris thread that I thought Snyder should have gone in his place

I voted Novak, Reed and Lucas.

Only keeping Snyder b/c he might be decent trade-bait as a throw in

2. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

How does J.Lu gets more vote than Justin Reed, I call a vote count!
    This is election 2004 again! Bush all the way babe!

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This will be all about salaries and trade potential. Actual usefuleness on the court, does it really matter who of the listed group is cut? Not really. If I had to automatically take someone off, it'd probably be Landry. He's been playing real well and is such a new player, he will stay and get some time.

But JLIII, Novak, Snyder, Reed, Butler...who cares?

In order of most salary to least, it appears to be: Snyder (last year), Butler (1 more year), Reed (1 more year), JLIII (1 more year), Novak (1 more year).

It SHOULD be safe to assume, then, that JLIII and Novak are gone. They are getting paid so little, that even thrown in as potential salary dumps for the other team, they're useless.

If it was just based on on the court play, I'd cut Snyder. I know exactly what he brings to the table, and don't like it. Reed and Butler probably aren't any better, but I can only base that off a few pre-season games as opposed to a whole season of crap. So I chose JLIII, Novak, Snyder.

But, as pointed out already, Snyder is the best trade bait in that his contract is up after this year and has decent size. So I think it will be JLIII, Novak, Butler.

4. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Is Sura still rotting waiting for his inevitable cut?
    I miss him actually, as the Rockets too, I bet, but I guess he's just useless now :(

5. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

I have to agree. It doesn't really matter since whoever we keep isn't going to see playing time except blowouts.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Crap. I accidently picked Snyder instead of Novak (surfing at work messes with my BBS concentration).

Lucas, Butler, Novak = cut

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

All the time i hear francis has low b-ball iq....
    <br>
    and kirk snyder doesn't????????
    <br>
    Lucas, Reed, Snyder, Sura

8. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

JL3, Novak, and Reed.

Lucas, he's actually pretty decent and probably doesn't get the respect he deserves -- but our PG position is pretty stacked. Its safe to say we can release him and let him try to break the rotation of a different team. Novak has been thoroughly unimpressive due to the large amount of hype and pressure he faces as only being able to shoot threes. Reed never was a part of the whole plan, just part of a trade.

9. Pringles

Pringles Member

i'd love to trade snyder and butler, but if no trade happens :( , then i'll cut, butler (pointless, even for insurance) snyder, and lucas.

snyder doesn't have that much potential until he gets older. he relys on his athletisicim way too much, and has no skill. reed is young, and he doesn't rely only on his athletisicism. reed has a greater potential, imo.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

You know, I am a bit hesitant, but I think that might be a good move. I really like Snyder's athleticism, but he doesn't appear to be "wired" quite right. I like Harris: smart, strong, skilled, has fire.

11. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Tough deciosions but It makes sense that Butler is staying.
    He has size and talent and he's only 22.

JL3 is gone story,Daryl is now just looking to ship him somewhere,rather for free if that's possible but he can be good 3rd playmaker in this league,in future maybe a good backup or even starter.

Reed,I know very little about this guy,probably less than every Rocket player.
    For sure,he has size to play PF,SF but his inability to shoot and finish make him just solid D player.He has enormous salary so because of that and luxury tax I think he will stay in Houston.

Kirk,I remember that Darly said once that he is pretty sure that Snyder will stay because his ability to get to the rim and athleticism.
    And that was before we signed Steve Francis.Personaly I would keep Kirk,he has potential but lacks shoot,sometimes suprises me with good nights and sometimes dissapoints me with nights off.One thing we must admit,he looks and talks like LeBron James.

Novak,now you can see that Rockets seek for athleticism or shooting.If shooting is in task,Novak would stay othervise he will leave.I remember I was so excited that we drafted him,best shooter from the draft but didn't really played much last season under JVG.If he stays Landry will leave and vice-versa.

Carl Landry,no doubt,has size,shoot and not so super young,25.But from what I saw guy can go in the paint,dribble very well for his size and has shoot.Little unexperienced but we need him for PF position.I hope that Chuck and Scola will stay healthy so It's good to have some kind of backup at that position,that's our weakest link.

So you see every player has reason to be cut or to be part of this team.
    As far as I'm concered I would keep Kirk Snyder and Jackie Butler.
    Everything else is loto.

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

even if he's young, it'll take him a LONG time, to fully develop, i rather have snyder or reed than him.

13. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

snyder has way too much value to get cut. lots of teams will want him.

14. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I know but right now It would be silly to cut him when you have Deke who is retiring next season.

15. Rocket_Man_2.0

Most teams are hoping rockets cut Snyder so they can pick him up for nothing....If Rockets were smart they would wait and trade Snyder for a pick...then resign Harris...

16. ikfit

ikfit Member

I like all these players.

I choose to cut JL3, AB is better I think.
    Reed, I think Snyder is more experince.
    Butler, he is not ready for NBA, and we have Deek and can go small.

I choose to keep Novak, I think we need someone like kerl who can shoot big at a special time. At least Novak can give a try to play that role when head or others can not find their shots.

17. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Lucas, Butler, Novak

18. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I have a feeling if we let Novak go... it's gonna burn us in the future. Last season under JVG doesnt' count. He should get at least one more under Adelman. He was just too "lights out" in college to give up on him without giving him a shot with a different team and a different coach w/ a different bball philosophy.

#58 magnetik, Oct 25, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  19. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Lucas
    we got too many scoring guard in PG body
    he's the cheapest to let go

Butler
    he got the size and height but can't grab a rebound to save his life

Novak
    he's a great shooter ... in preseason and practice
    but his season percentage is worse than Alston