1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Make your final 3 cuts (Sura excluded)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Oct 25, 2007.

?

I want to cut... (choose 3)

Poll closed Oct 29, 2007.
  1. John Lucas III

94.8%
  2. Carl Landry

4.5%
  3. Steve Novak

44.4%
  4. Kirk Snyder

23.1%
  5. Justin Reed

87.5%
  6. Jackie Butler

41.8%
  7. Other (please list)

2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Per the article in the Chronicle today, last night's game was the last "tryout" and Friday's game will likely feature a regular season-esque 9 man rotation. So after seeing all of our players over 6 preseason games, what are you final feelings about who should be cut?

For the sake of this thread, let's assume there are no trades.

Personally I'm going with Snyder, Novak, and Lucas. Whatever talents or athleticism Kirk Snyder has, none of it seems to come together during real NBA gameplay. Novak is a decent shooter in this league, and that's it. Lucas has been on his way out for what seems like forever.

Landry looks great in recent action and Reed has impressed me in his limited time. If you watch closely you'll see that he's actually a very sound defender at the SG/SF positions, which I love. At least Butler is a young big body.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Lucas, Butler, Novak

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Co-signed. Lucas is the only NBA-level player among them, and I'm pretty sure we're going on the theory that Aaron Brooks is better than him.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Can someone explain why they want to cut Justin Reed instead of Snyder? I respect that decision, but I'm just curious to hear some reasoning.

5. Suuso

Suuso Member

Butler has to be gone, i've watched him in these few pre-season games and man i can say that, THAT GUY IS STUPID. Everytime i watch him it makes me laugh cause he has no idea where he should be or what he should do.

Has he ever played basketball before??

Ps. He has the ugliest beard i've ever seen :D.

6. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Lucas, Reed and Novak.

I like Novakaine but last night's performance was too bad.

Free you go Novak, I'm sure other team will pick you up after a minute you get cut.

But if we can keep him with our NBDL team, good.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

So far I am most upset at the effort of Butler and Novac, they haven't convinced me that they are NBA players at this stage of their basketball career.
    So I would be moving one way or another Sura, Butler, Novac & Lucas Iwould try and also incorporate a trade for a player or money or open to buy, which would include in bring Harris back onto the team. I would be willing to also sacrifice Snyder in that trade.
    Fundamental Coaching is needed for Brooks,Mike James and Steve Francis as they do not yet understand the concepts of team ball under Coach 'A'
    Francis is in need of a crash fitness course, including weight loss. :p

8. zong

zong Member

Reed, Novak, and Lucas, that are three.

9. Barkley

Barkley Member

Lohn Lucas

No questions about that. Just bye bye John. He'e playin' pretty well in the preseason but we don't need him and we don't even have the space for him.

Justin Reed

The same. He cannot help us. Last night he looked pretty good, he made some outside jumpers, but he's gone.

Bob Sura

Well the fu+kin' injuries are sad. Boby was good I really miss him. He could pass the ball. But what can you do. He probably will not play so we don't have a space and money for that guy

10. HipHopSince1981

Lucas, Reed, and Novak

id rather keep novak but i dont see the rox droppin a big man

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I would cut Reed, Lucas, Novak AND Snyder and re-sign Mike Harris.

12. Barkley

Barkley Member

Oh damn. Sorry I didn't notice about Sura. Well in his place I'd probably put Snyder or Nova. But probably Nova. I love his shootin' but he's probablytoo weak

13. zong

zong Member

Snyder is quick, and can rebound, drive, whic is useful at the time, but he is very inconsistent. Reed, who can make a shot at a time, what else can he do? Do not know.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Best answer yet, but I'd cut Butler and keep Reed or Snyder.

15. Barkley

Barkley Member

But Snyder is annoyin'. He can't pass and he doesn' think on the court. He thinks he can make every shoot. Shooter...

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Snyder is the most tradeable of the lot. IMO they'll keep him to try to salary dump him later on.

17. zong

zong Member

Agree, he was trying to hard to make the team, plus without a good skill in several areas, but many fans know little thing about Reed, but know Synder played well at the beginning of last year before got an injure. Too me there is no a clear cut between those two.

18. Cjballa14

Cjballa14 Member

Butler has to make this team. A backup center is the hardest position to fill in the NBA and he's only 22. He has tons of upside and now gets to work with Yao. Butler is our Mutumbo of the the future, not in production maybe, but he will be the 2nd string C next season.

Novak sucks, cut him with the quickness.
    Reed just looks lost out there...cut him.
    And JL3..peace out john john.

19. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I picked

Novak - not an NBA player right now
    Reed - don't have much info on reed so cut him
    Snyder - not much of a team player and not much shooting ability

Who I think will actually get cut

Novak
    Lucas
    Snyder or Butler

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Synder has more NBA experience.

Synder can play two positions (2 and 3) better than Reed can. Reed is no more a 4 than Battier.

I don't know if the stats will back me up ... Reed does have a better jump shot than Synder, maybe without Battier's range but also without Battier's reluctance to shoot. Continuing the Battier comparison, Reed lacks Battier's team play on defense. Overall I roughly see Reed as a Battier Lite, only making the team if we trade Battier.

#20 No Worries, Oct 25, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2007